banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bridge Pickup for Bright Gibson Les Paul Custom?

How would a CC pair with a paf style neck pickup thats 7.9k with an alnico 3 magnet?

Would one overpower the other? Would I get a good middle tone?

Comment

Hmmm...I only have experience with a Pearly Gates neck. In it's stock form, it sounds like it should be sold as a matched set with the CC (at least in my guitar). However, that wasn't what I was looking for -- I wanted something with less mids, so I swapped the A2 for an A5 and got the hollow sound I was looking for. I also tried an A3, but it sounded just like the stock A2 version to me (Doc Barlo has done the same A2/A3 experiment with the PGn and came to the same conclusion. I really didn't pay much attention the the PGn/CC mixed tone, so I can't comment.

Actually, if you search the Sound Clips board, Doc Barlo has some clips of A2/A3 CC and PGn posted.

Someone else will have to comment on how a Seth or AP2n sounds with the CC.
      This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
        1. Ranalli: How do you know that people are suggesting pickups just by checking the tone chart? Couldn't they own what they recommend?
        I never said that. If people would at least look at the tone chart they could see those pickups are bright. And I've tried those pickups and yes they are on the brighter side of things without a doubt.....the chart is fairly accurate.

Even if I didn't try them though I would hope that people at the bare minimum would use the tone chart as the tool that it is. Some of the advice on this forum bewilders me sometimes.......although your advice of things to try before swapping I actually agree with.

Two statements that make NO sense here are:

"Seth's or PG's will get the job done in a Paul." - What Les Paul??? Custom?? Standard?? Dont' forget that these are two VERY different sounding guitars IMO. The Custom is a good bit brighter.

"Check out the Alnico II Pro. Slash has used them in his Les Paul's for years." - As far as I know Slash doesn't use Customs hardly at all...I usually see him with Standards or more importantly something with a rosewood fretboard. Again...different sounding guitar....

I think it's good to help people but I think statements like that completely mislead people and steer them in the wrong direction.

Comment

You're right, I don't look at the tone char, I TRY the pickups I comment on, I don't go about blindly spewing "advice" . You're right the PG does have an edge to it, but it's not what I would call bright. The Seth is even smoother. Are these two pickups detailed and open, yes, are they bright, no at least through my rig. Also, he asked about a pickup that would give him "jangly/semi-dirty rythm tones and smooth, somewhat thick overdrive". The last time I checked, the CC I have isn't what I would call jangly. The Seth's, PG, and APH2 jangle well for humbuckers. At least, in my EXPERIENCE.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I'd think the cheapest route would be to put an A2 magnet in his bridge pickup, like Doc said.

$5

Problem solved.

Comment

My take:

If you want to stay Duncan go JB. I find it to have a nice healthy midrange which adds "fatness". It can be played clean as well as dirty. It will definitely fatten up your bridge slot.

I find the CC to be to "pushed" sounding. It distorted too easily for my taste and ironically had this bright "rasp" in the top end of the distortion that I hated (as did my bandmates).

If you want the warmest, fattest bridge HB that can stay clean if need be, try the Rio Grand BBQ Bucker. It is like a JB with more bass, and less treble. Many people think it is TOO warm, but I love it.

Last edited by Mac-P; 07-26-2004, 11:19 PM.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
              buggjuice.net
              MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by IndieRock
                How would a CC pair with a paf style neck pickup thats 7.9k with an alnico 3 magnet?

Would one overpower the other? Would I get a good middle tone?
                Do you have voodoo pickups in your guitar now? A3 is not that common that's why. And voodoo bridges are bright (I had a set, loved the neck, but had to let it go on account of the bright, brittle, thin bridge pickup).

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
                  I never said that. If people would at least look at the tone chart they could see those pickups are bright. And I've tried those pickups and yes they are on the brighter side of things without a doubt.....the chart is fairly accurate.

Even if I didn't try them though I would hope that people at the bare minimum would use the tone chart as the tool that it is. Some of the advice on this forum bewilders me sometimes.......although your advice of things to try before swapping I actually agree with.

Two statements that make NO sense here are:

"Seth's or PG's will get the job done in a Paul." - What Les Paul??? Custom?? Standard?? Dont' forget that these are two VERY different sounding guitars IMO. The Custom is a good bit brighter.

"Check out the Alnico II Pro. Slash has used them in his Les Paul's for years." - As far as I know Slash doesn't use Customs hardly at all...I usually see him with Standards or more importantly something with a rosewood fretboard. Again...different sounding guitar....

I think it's good to help people but I think statements like that completely mislead people and steer them in the wrong direction.
                  I don't think tone charts are enough summary to base a decision on. Even if the eq were to be plotted in a more detailed fashion, still you cannot discriminate between softness and punchy tones. What I am saying is that you might get 2 different pickups with the very same eq yet very different from each other.

BTW a2p is not that bright, not like a 59b that is. But check the chart. It says A2p is brighter than a 59b. Well yeah might be considering only the amounts, YET the highs of A2p is much softer, thus those of 59b is way more well pronounced. Now which is is brighter? See the point. you gotta hear a pickup, or have some solid base point for futher references.

B

Comment

And BTW I am of course not debating the effect of the body wood on the tone. Here check my wood test done on strats:

Sound Clips and Playing Tips. Post Your MP3 links here as well as Q/A regarding guitar playing. Recording gear questions posted here.

And I have 3 LPs now (95LP standard, R7 and R8), and sold 2 others before getting my ideal 3. Those 2 were a custom and a R8. All of them sounded different, some really bright, some lacked bass, some where throaty some were hollow whatever....

The whole issue is to match pickups with the body one has to get the most out of it. Only then I'd sell a LP if this whole searching were not to end with a satisfactory result. The 3 of mine now had many pickups in them. Now 2 of them employ timbuckers, and the R7 has rolphs. And I am done searching for pickups for those LPs!

B
                    Last edited by dr.barlo; 07-27-2004, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                      Do you have voodoo pickups in your guitar now? A3 is not that common that's why. And voodoo bridges are bright (I had a set, loved the neck, but had to let it go on account of the bright, brittle, thin bridge pickup).

B
                      Thats exactly what I have! You're the man! The neck is amazing with overdriven jazzy chords\arpeggios and smooth liquid\blues solos.
                      Although, the bridge is too bright! Its partly my fault, I shoulda ordered something different. The bridge would probably rock in a dark guitar.

Yea so now I need to match something up with the neck. I would like a good sounding and balanced set, so I can have a nice rhythm middle tone.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by IndieRock
                        Thats exactly what I have! You're the man! The neck is amazing with overdriven jazzy chords\arpeggios and smooth liquid\blues solos.
                        Although, the bridge is too bright! Its partly my fault, I shoulda ordered something different. The bridge would probably rock in a dark guitar.

Yea so now I need to match something up with the neck. I would like a good sounding and balanced set, so I can have a nice rhythm middle tone.

Peace
                        Cool Bro! My voodoo 59 was also quite bright even for me, I like bright bridge position. Seriously, there are some options you might wanna consider: (assuming that your neck is like 7.90K, no?)

1. SD custom shop, get a pickup made for you. If you don't wanna wait like 4-6 weeks you can get an antiquity with gold plated covers (they might have it in stock, so you would not wait), or as I said before call John at BlackRose, he is the man. He has a large inventory, and chances that he has a 8.50-70K ant bridge, and a gold plated cover is quite high. BTW I love my a5 modded ant bridges, yet in your case I'd say the dun-aged a2 would be the best deal. Hear it for yourself.

2. Since Tim White has an insane long waiting list (like a year or so) I would not consider his pickups for your case. Instead try Jim Rolph's pickups. I replaced my voodoo first with an a5 modded ant, and then with a set of timbuckers. But the second set of my timbuckers were beaten by rolphs on my bright R7. So I guess you'd love the rolphs, anyway he winds them to your specs. If you wanna talk to him, he is a very cool person to talk to very informative. What I have is a 8.35K Rolph's 59. It is a great pickup. He delivers very fast, and don't worry he is not that expensive.

B
                        Last edited by dr.barlo; 07-27-2004, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Or swap the a5 in your bridge HB with an a2. That might be the cheapest solution.

B

Comment

Another thing you can do is order an aluminum tail from Pigtail = much warmer/rounder tone! this made a larger difference for me than the pickups.

This plus a Rio Grande BBQ will put you in tonal heaven.

Comment

I used an A2P in my old LP Custom for years, it took the edge off a fairly bright guitar. Jangly? Not really my thing with a 'bucker but I would agree with Robert that Ant's are probably the closest I've gotten to jangly with a humbucker, though you could certainly split a 4-wire and give your self a lot more options that way.

The CC is far thicker sound than the A2P, I guess more compressed would be a good way to describe it, certainly not a pup I would put a "jangly" tag on by any means.
                              Last edited by Wattage; 07-29-2004, 02:41 PM.
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I have found it best to find a guitar that sounds good off the shelf to save a lot of headaches in pickup swapping. Why mess with a good thing. Nothing wrong with swapping to find the right pickup which can be rewarding but it is so nice when it sounds great off the shelf. That is what I found with my LP and PRS McCarty. I swapped plenty of p'ups in my LP but non were better than the stock p'ups, just a little different. I am finding the guitar itself will have more impact than what pickup is in the guitar. I have had guitars that sounded thin no matter what! I had a Hamer Studio that sounded thin with the JB, then Rio BBQ, then C-5, Custom and so on. I sold it. Now, I buy guitars that sound great off the shelf and changing pickups can only add to that if you like. An example is if there is something specific you want with the tone that the stock p'up aren't getting for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X