Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    Those moments of inspiration, when they find 'the zone' and channel the music thru their fingers, don't happen reliably in the studio.
    OK. Excellent factoid to be aware of.

I only want to hear a talented guitarist cut loose if what he comes up with is good ****. I don't give a hoot if it is happening live or on record, only whether or not I like the end result. Seeing a talented guitarist cut loose live is not enough reason to actually like what they are playing. Liking what they are playing is the only reason to really like what they are playing IMO. A lot of the most wretched music ever made was done by some quite talented guys cutting loose and getting "in the zone" onstage; it's not reason enough to like something. I'm all about the song itself, not the player.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Franknfilms View Post
      When you guys say "young" guitarists you're talking about the guys in their 40's right? The actual young guys think that EVH is just the name of an amp used by Gojira.
      Yeah...ha..ha.. EVH is obsolete. Let's face reality. It is commonplace to see 15 year olds showcasing chops millions of times better than that drunken fool. Just go to You Tube. Time goes on, what was cool 30 years ago is commonplace today. I think people should move on to the next guitar hero and confront the fact that Eddie was never beyond his tapping and big break with Michael Jackson. Even tapping wasn't his invention.

I think EVH is a guitar god in pop music, alongside the Edge, Martin Gore, Andy Summers, some other famous people from 80s pop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
        You guys can argue,disagree,wonder or whatever till the end of time and it wont change the fact the eddie did more to rock guitar than all of use put together will ever do
        No. He just popularized tapping and how to play fast on stage while being under the influence of alcohol, and not trip over the cable.

Comment

^ these kids... funny post but immensely retarded.

Comment

meh I dont get it either but I love dimebag Darrell's tone and a lot of people hate it. By the way dimebag is the Eddie for my generation.

Comment

There is not one bad ass guitar player in the world that doesn't appreciate Eddie's genius.

Yet there are countless bedroom wankers, minor league players and armchair afficianados who just don't get it. Whether it's willful ignorance or the fact that they don't have the ability to understand... haters gonna hate.

Ask Paul Gilbert what he thinks of Van Halen.

Ask Jeff Beck what he thinks of Van Halen

Hell, Robbie Krieger's favorite guitar solo of all time is "Eruption"

I guess he doesn't know anything about playing guitar... he's obviously a dumbass right?

Think about that and the fact that you generally only find Eddie haters among the lower skill levels of guitar playing.

I mean, if jazz or country guys don't appreciate Eddie's playing, I can understand.

But by and large, most of us here are rockers.

Eddie is the quintessential rock guitarist's guitarist.

I think this thread is like therapy to many of you though, venting is good for you.
              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

^ I like this guy

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                  1) There is not one bad ass guitar player in the world that doesn't appreciate Eddie's genius.

2) Hell, Robbie Krieger's favorite guitar solo of all time is "Eruption"

3) Think about that and the fact that you generally only find Eddie haters among the lower skill levels of guitar playing.

4) Eddie is the quintessential rock guitarist's guitarist.
                  1) There are many excellent players that are not impressed by EVH. You need to get out more often (and with grown ups).

2) You're quoting Robbie Krieger? Your arguments are running out of gas baby. Tricks and gimmicks don't take the place of musicality. Are you attracted to shiny objects too? Eddie isn't in the same league as the solos in Heartbreaker or Crossroads.

3) We're not 'Eddie haters'; we thought he was cool at the time, but it's gotten old; the party was over a long a time ago. He's spawned tens of thousands of imitators, some of which have surpassed Eddie. While influential, Eddie's playing certainly has it's limitations. It'd be nice to have less gimmicks and more substance. You need to start hanging around guys that really know how to play guitar.

4) Maybe the 'quintessential rock guitarist' by your standards (such as they are), but many of us would argue otherwise. Eddie's flashy and commercial. Not everybody's into all that hype. What about true masters of the guitar, like Eric Johnson and Robben Ford.

"Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                  "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

1) It'd be nice to have less gimmicks and more substance. You need to start hanging around guys that really know how to play guitar.

Two questions:

1. You're not actually suggesting EVH *doesn't* know how to play guitar, are you?

2. If a Les Paul or 335 (or any Gibson) were EVH's main guitar, would you be singing this tune?

Just wondering.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                    Originally posted by metalmachine
                    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

OK- I understand the Posts- didn't read them all......

I'm going to start a thread :

" How can I NOT sound like EVH ? "

...just to balance things a little.

I mean you could put EJ, Wes Montgomery, Robben Ford, Gilmour, Timmons, Bonamassa, Benson, Carlton, Ritchie Blackmore, Hendrix, SRV, Pat Martino, or many others in the blank- great players with great tones-no big mystery why some might want to emulate that.

Lots of great Jazzers emulated or admired Wes Montgomery's sound, even EJ references Early Clapton and Keith Richards etc.

Also- cloned hand transplants are about 104 years out ( even though it was shown at NAMM 2012 )- so merely saying "it's all in the fingers" doesn't really help- and we've all heard people that DON'T have _________ or EVH , or Gilmour, or EJ's or Hendrix's fingers get very close to their tones......so you should assume that the person asking to sound like ______ does NOT have _______'s fingers....or their EXACT picking attack etc.

UNLESS -It's actually Eddie Van Halen himself on the Forum saying "How can I get back to the Tone I had on "Fair Warning" ?

Or EJ asking " How can I get the Tones I had in the Austin City Limits Video back in the 80's ?".

Well Eric-it's all in the fingers........another pickup or Rig won't help at all............
                      Last edited by robertkoa; 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I can play better than eddie!!!!!!!......... Ok not really

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
                          Two questions:

1. You're not actually suggesting EVH *doesn't* know how to play guitar, are you?

2. If a Les Paul or 335 (or any Gibson) were EVH's main guitar, would you be singing this tune?
                          EVH had a 335 until he destroyed it during his luthier work. It's not about the guitar, it's the music. Yes, Eddie's obviously a very talanted player, but there is an upper echelon of players in most genres that are better; even Eddie himself would admit that. I just don't think he's worthy of hero worship. He came at the right time and gave rock a much-needed shot in the arm, as SRV did with blues. That propelled their careers, and them to stardom, but it doesn't make either one the 'best' player. There are many blues guitarists that were, or are, better than SRV, but he's the one who got promoted the most. Don't underestimate how much of a factor promotion and marketing has been in selecting them, and at the same time ignoring many others with talent. I've seen guys at local gigs and in music stores that were tremendous players, but no one's ever heard of them. Having the right image can make or break a band. I think VH's fame came from a variety of factors, not all of them necessarily talent-related.

I just don't think all the EVH playing tricks and Diamond Dave jumping around in spandex helps their image as serious musicians. Too much juvenile posturing and posing for the girls and the cameras.
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Re: I just don't understand all the EVH bashing, personally...

EVH had a 335 until he destroyed it during his luthier work. It's not about the guitar, it's the music. Yes, Eddie's obviously a very talanted player, but there is an upper echelon of players in most genres that are better; even Eddie himself would admit that. I just don't think he's worthy of hero worship. He came at the right time and gave rock a much-needed shot in the arm, as SRV did with blues. That propelled their careers, and them to stardom, but it doesn't make either one the 'best' player. There are many blues guitarists that were, or are, better than SRV, but he's the one who got promoted the most. Don't underestimate how much of a factor promotion and marketing has been in selecting them, and at the same time ignoring many others with talent. I've seen guys at local gigs and in music stores that were tremendous players, but no one's ever heard of them. Having the right image can make or break a band. I think VH's fame came from a variety of factors, not all of them necessarily talent-related.

I just don't think all the EVH playing tricks and Diamond Dave jumping around in spandex helps their image as serious musicians. Too much juvenile posturing and posing for the girls and the cameras.

Have you heard the new CD? Eddie is back to KILLING on guitar, and Dave's lyrics have matured greatly...it's an amazing album. Probably one of the best rock releases in YEARS. They've definitely still got it.

EVH may not be the "best" player, but he's certainly one of the greatest to ever walk the earth...

Comment

Re: I just don't understand all the EVH bashing, personally...

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
                              Have you heard the new CD? Eddie is back to KILLING on guitar, and Dave's lyrics have matured greatly...it's an amazing album. Probably one of the best rock releases in YEARS. They've definitely still got it.
                              Glad to hear they've matured. I'll have to take a listen.

Hendrix started off with a wild stage show, but soon tired of it. He said in an interview: "I'm tired of being a clown." It served it's purpose and got him noticed; then he could focus on the music part. Hard to believe how much he did in 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                                I'm not disagreeing with your post,but I gotta tell ya.....Eddie has made way more money than me and has had wayyyyyyy more sex than me as a player! ;o)
                                So have Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Spice Girls, Milli Vinilli, and countless other morons. Making money as an entertainer doesn't guarantee they're talented or intelligent. The public isn't all that discerning, especially when a big promotional machine is behind an entertainer. We've had far too many corporate playlists crammed down our throats, for me to have any respect for someone simply because they've made a lot of money in the entertainment business. Most of it's 'Idiots on parade.'

How about if we leave out the money and groupie part of this evaluation?

Comment

Working...
                                X