Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    I just don't think all the EVH playing tricks and Diamond Dave jumping around in spandex helps their image as serious musicians. Too much juvenile posturing and posing for the girls and the cameras.
    No doubt you wearied of Jimmy Page's dragon outfits and Plant's pelvic thrusts.

Originally posted by nedcronin
    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
    Originally posted by metalmachine
    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
      I respect all opinions, but post #62 is retarded.
      What's so retarded about it? That I don't agree with you?
      Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
        There is not one bad ass guitar player in the world that doesn't appreciate Eddie's genius.

Yet there are countless bedroom wankers, minor league players and armchair afficianados who just don't get it. Whether it's willful ignorance or the fact that they don't have the ability to understand... haters gonna hate.

Ask Paul Gilbert what he thinks of Van Halen.

Ask Jeff Beck what he thinks of Van Halen

Hell, Robbie Krieger's favorite guitar solo of all time is "Eruption"

I guess he doesn't know anything about playing guitar... he's obviously a dumbass right?

Think about that and the fact that you generally only find Eddie haters among the lower skill levels of guitar playing.

I mean, if jazz or country guys don't appreciate Eddie's playing, I can understand.

But by and large, most of us here are rockers.

Eddie is the quintessential rock guitarist's guitarist.

I think this thread is like therapy to many of you though, venting is good for you.
        First of all, you have made a lot of generalizations that are just patently stupid. It just shows off the kind of snobbery that exists amongst certain musicians.

What made Eddie so great, that he could play fast or that he invented tapping? Doesn't impress me either way. I never said that I had no respect for his playing, just that I don't like his lead playing and too many people overrate him.

And yet some of you take this as a personal attack and attack me back. Grow up. Your opinions are not the Gospel truth.

Welcome to my ignore list.
        Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

So have Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Spice Girls, Milli Vinilli, and countless other morons. Making money as an entertainer doesn't guarantee they're talented or intelligent. The public isn't all that discerning, especially when a big promotional machine is behind an entertainer. We've had far too many corporate playlists crammed down our throats, for me to have any respect for someone simply because they've made a lot of money in the entertainment business. Most of it's 'Idiots on parade.'

How about if we leave out the money and groupie part of this evaluation?
          How about I post what I want...EVH is awesome and has offered alot to guitar players as a whole!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

So have Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Spice Girls, Milli Vinilli, and countless other morons. Making money as an entertainer doesn't guarantee they're talented or intelligent. The public isn't all that discerning, especially when a big promotional machine is behind an entertainer. We've had far too many corporate playlists crammed down our throats, for me to have any respect for someone simply because they've made a lot of money in the entertainment business. Most of it's 'Idiots on parade.'

How about if we leave out the money and groupie part of this evaluation?
            Hey it is one thing to bash eddie van halen but when you start bashing pure,true talent like milli vinilli you sir have crossed the line!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
              Hey it is one thing to bash eddie van halen but when you start bashing pure,true talent like milli vinilli you sir have crossed the line!
              Nice!
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

EVH tone =

Amped up Cream and Bluesbreaker licks

+

25.5-inch-scale length

+

Use of right-hand fingers.

All else is commentary.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                Originally posted by metalmachine
                dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Gotta say also,that for a player like EVH that some of us feel is more hype than talent,I see an awful lot of EVH posts covering many things...Mainly the guy's tone...Must be something to it?

Comment

Nobody was as awesome as Kurt Cobain!

Comment

• Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      Gotta say also,that for a player like EVH that some of us feel is more hype than talent,I see an awful lot of EVH posts covering many things...Mainly the guy's tone...Must be something to it?
                      I understand the appeal John. I don't understand why people can't accept and respect someone who has a different opinion -- and it's all opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                        Isn't tone in the fingers?

Comment

Originally posted by CustomCustom View Post
                          Isn't tone in the fingers?
                          Absolutely it is! With that though,I've read where one player plugged into another's setup and sounded like himself with either setup...Not sure if it was something like Ted Nugent plugging into EVH's setup or whatever? You guys can correct me on this...I play through different setups and the guys in my band say I pretty much sound the same...Crappy! ;o)

The reason I sound the same though,is because I mainly go after classic Marshall,BF and Tweed Fender,and early Vox "type" tones..

Once our ears and styles grow acustomed to certain things,we kinda stick with it.

Comment

the famous brown sound...high gain plexi and hot humbucker bliss. it was a great tone with alot of chunk too.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                              Nobody was as awesome as Kurt Cobain!
                              How the hell did it go from EVH/Clapton/Hendrix to Cobain was awesome? The only time Cobain and EVH should be in the same sentence is if you're saying 'Cobain shouldn't be in the same sentence as EVH'
                              LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
                              Thinline W/GFS Classic II
                              Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
                              LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                              Blackstar HT5-H.
                              Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

I am not into his tone or playing. Certainly not his tone, too thin and trebly.

It is funny, a buddy of mine in a funk band says Eddie is the most over rated guitarist on the planet. He says he is not that good, LOL

I'll take Cobain over EVH because he is a master song writing, which to me is better than someone who just wanks on the guitar.
                                I don't mean that in a bad way, I grew up loving EVH but not these days and he is very talented! .... just not my thing.
                                Last edited by papersoul; 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X