I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

While you dudes go on and on about how much he sucks and is overrated and has no tone he will be touring the world again for the 30th time, selling products from his EVH corporation,enjoy staring at the 60 best guitarist awards he has won over the years,have a great time in his own personal full pro multimillion dollar studio,have sex with model/wife janie,be able to buy ANYTHING he wants ANYTIME he wants, yeah you guys are right he does suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
      While you dudes go on and on about how much he sucks and is overrated and has no tone he will be touring the world again for the 30th time, selling products from his EVH corporation,enjoy staring at the 60 best guitarist awards he has won over the years,have a great time in his own personal full pro multimillion dollar studio,have sex with model/wife janie,be able to buy ANYTHING he wants ANYTIME he wants, yeah you guys are right he does suck!
      so, by that rationale, any Zillionaire sell out pop artist who has twenty times the amount of popularity and money than EVH does is de facto an artistic genius and a technical wizard at their instrument.
      Oh yeah..plus getting laid by an aging model ( who you had to marry and provide a decent Pre-nup with incentive to stay in the realtionship for additional post death benefits) puts them over the top as far as artistic integrity.
      Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
        I like Nirvana in small doses. I do though see Nirvana as being the ring-leader with the Grunge movement which KILLED solos and almost killed heavy metal. Were only starting to recover.
        Damn and it was so close too. If only he'd lived long enough to finish the job.

Comment

doesn't 'Smells like teen spirit' have a solo in it?

Comment

Is it not apparent that Eddie had one of the most unique picking techniques?

It produced one of the most vibrant and harmonic rich attacks ever.

His presence is so full and in your face... no guitarist has come close with that kind of presence and attack.

Eddie is also king of the "boogie". He has an immense catalog of blues riffs to pick from and a working knowledge of jazz that allowed him to surprise audiences and listeners at any given turn.

Eddie is also a master of implementing open strings with lightning fast hammer ons and pull offs. These note flurries have never been heard again after Eddie did them... the note density of those phrases is unreal and very hard to pick out and try to learn.

Eddie also is the pull off and hammer on master. His left hand fingers came down on those strings like hammers pounding nails. Again, nobody had or has the hand strength coupled with his agility to this day.

Forget the tapping, he just did it 'cause it was fresh and inventive at the time.

Oh and nobody has shredded on an acoustic guitar like Eddie did on "Spanish Fly".

Eddie is also a master classical pianist and provided true vintage analog synth awesomeness most notably during the electronic opus "1984". I am a big fan of early electronica (Jean Michele Jarre, Kraftwork, Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis etc.). Let me tell you that "1984" is up there with the best of them.

Hell, forget about the leads 'cause he was hands down the rhythm champion of all time... his rhythm chops are second to none.

And most of this playing was done while cracking a big smile.

Oh and Van Halen won the cold war for NATO. ; ) just kidding.
            Last edited by zenmindbeginner; 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM.
            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

yeah...
              Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 05-12-2012, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                so, by that rationale, any Zillionaire sell out pop artist who has twenty times the amount of popularity and money than EVH does is de facto an artistic genius and a technical wizard at their instrument.
                Oh yeah..plus getting laid by an aging model ( who you had to marry and provide a decent Pre-nup with incentive to stay in the realtionship for additional post death benefits) puts them over the top as far as artistic integrity.
                dude you can say and think what you want (i am pretty sure eddie does not give a rats ass) but you will never accomplish what he has, nuff said...

Comment

I'm afraid this all goes nowhere guys. I mean, there's no consensus on how to evaluate. Tone, technical ability, innovation, commercial success? It was originally about tone right? And after all that it still boils down to personal perspective on styles and genres. This is an old discussion, nobody is likely to change their view.

I guess it has been entertainment though, carry on.

Comment

There are some people in this thread that I think, given the chance, would have sex with the man himself.

I can understand liking someone but it seems like some of you worship him, which is pretty lame (not just to worship him, but any worship of musicians). They are just people you see.
                    Last edited by Andrew Lamprecht; 05-03-2012, 11:23 AM.
                    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                      There are some people in this thread that I think, given the chance, would have sex with the man himself.

I can understand liking someone but it seems like some of you worship him, which is pretty lame (not just to worship him, but any worship of musicians). They are just people you see.
                      +1. Some musicians hit high points in their careers, but they are all mortals and have their limitations and failings just like any of us. No one does everything right, and everything best.
                      Last edited by blueman335; 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

He once had the Pick of Destiny in his hands...

This may explain everything!!!
                        '05 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                        '11 Taylor 414CE
                        Orange Rockerverb 50

Comment

Originally posted by SchecMan View Post
                          He once had the Pick of Destiny in his hands...

This may explain everything!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperborea View Post
                            Damn and it was so close too. If only he'd lived long enough to finish the job.
                            I smell a Troll! boring
                            I need no stinkin signatures

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
                              Is it not apparent that Eddie had one of the most unique picking techniques?

It produced one of the most vibrant and harmonic rich attacks ever.

His presence is so full and in your face... no guitarist has come close with that kind of presence and attack.

Eddie is also king of the "boogie". He has an immense catalog of blues riffs to pick from and a working knowledge of jazz that allowed him to surprise audiences and listeners at any given turn.

Eddie is also a master of implementing open strings with lightning fast hammer ons and pull offs. These note flurries have never been heard again after Eddie did them... the note density of those phrases is unreal and very hard to pick out and try to learn.

Eddie also is the pull off and hammer on master. His left hand fingers came down on those strings like hammers pounding nails. Again, nobody had or has the hand strength coupled with his agility to this day.

Forget the tapping, he just did it 'cause it was fresh and inventive at the time.

Oh and nobody has shredded on an acoustic guitar like Eddie did on "Spanish Fly".

Eddie is also a master classical pianist and provided true vintage analog synth awesomeness most notably during the electronic opus "1984". I am a big fan of early electronica (Jean Michele Jarre, Kraftwork, Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis etc.). Let me tell you that "1984" is up there with the best of them.

Hell, forget about the leads 'cause he was hands down the rhythm champion of all time... his rhythm chops are second to none.

And most of this playing was done while cracking a big smile.

Oh and Van Halen won the cold war for NATO. ; ) just kidding.
                              So Eddie has great hand strength ? He plays GIRL'S strings - 8s I believe. You don't get a reputation as a tough guy by beating up the school sissy.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                                So Eddie has great hand strength ? He plays GIRL'S strings - 8s I believe. You don't get a reputation as a tough guy by beating up the school sissy.
                                THANKS! great logic I am putting bass strings on my guitar right now!
                                I need no stinkin signatures

Comment

Working...
                                X