Why is there not a official "JBn"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there not a official "JBn"?

I think a JB wound for the neck would be slammin!
    I really dont like the jazz that is usually paired up with it so since they are sim anyway can a DDn be made to a makeshift JBn by swapping out the ceramic for a A5? anyone done this? results?
    Excellent deals with,
    Frank falbo,Rockstarnick,SrDeMaFp,Joyouswolf,SFW,gpengui ns
    Jacksontrader,Latsmcgee,IndySG,Ghostmaker,
    slaveunit,atreidesheir,appar111,ex-250,dominus,
    guitarkingdomworks,appar111,ginoames,chickencoop,
    51501984,guitarfreak,notesfield,raybarbeemusic,
    king izzo,Tone scavenger,Heem6,Checo,metalmachine,MetLking

Re: Why is there not a official "JBn"?

Try a Dimarzio Air Norton in the neck it works well with a JB.

Comment

I've been wondering the same. Jackson KV2's are fitted with two JBs as stock pups. Dunno if the one on the neck spot is any different from a regular JB spec wise but the SD logo is on the correct place for a neck humbucker (slug coil).

Comment

I put a Dimarzio Paf Pro in the neck with a JB in my latest project with a super-5-way switch for inner and outter singles in the 2 and 4 positions and have been really happy with it's sound by far. I like it so well that I'm taking it out of that guitar and swapping it into one of my Jacksons that has a Suhr Aldrich and a 59 in it. I'm with you on the Jazz thing. I think they're a little sterile sounding but that's just my opinion.
        Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Wire a JB in the neck in parallel. Sounds great. Perfect for the neck position.

Comment

I bought a Mayhem set for my Les Paul, and the neck just wasn't to my liking. It just didn't work in the guitar. I swapped in an Alnico 2, and it was much worse. It was a wah sound that just wouldn't get out of that midrange vocal thing. Then I put an Alnico 5 in there, and it was very good. I think that's about as close to a "Neck JB" as you're going to get at this point.

By the way, in my PRS, the stock Distortion neck is a thing of beauty. I guess it's just picky about the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyKiller View Post
              I've been wondering the same. Jackson KV2's are fitted with two JBs as stock pups. Dunno if the one on the neck spot is any different from a regular JB spec wise but the SD logo is on the correct place for a neck humbucker (slug coil).
              yeah i played that and it is a reg JB. real high output unfortunately
              Excellent deals with,

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                Wire a JB in the neck in parallel. Sounds great. Perfect for the neck position.
                this is a good suggestion! does it kinda have a "single coil" tone at all? that would be sweet! a singing single with more output and no hummin
                Excellent deals with,

Comment

Originally posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post
                  this is a good suggestion! does it kinda have a "single coil" tone at all? that would be sweet! a singing single with more output and no hummin
                  Yup. That's exactly what it's like. It's not too hot and not too weak. It's worth trying.

Comment

I would be interested in trying an A4 JB in the neck.
                    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                    Originally posted by CTN
                    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Well technically DD neck wasn't bespoke. It wasn't designed to be used in the neck position with DD with bridge. DD neck was originally called Seymourizer, a pickup to be used by itself. It has 43 gauge wind vs 44 wind in the DD. It was later renamed and paired with DD. On other hand, Seymour developed the Jazz simultaneously to be paired with JB for one of Jeff Beck's Tele-Gib guitars.

If the Jazz doesn't work EQ wise, try a 59 with A2 or Pearly Gates neck, I have something similar, and it works very well with the JB. It's creamy and smooth, yet articulate and output is just right.

Comment

I wish there was a neck JB as well. In fact, that's where I'd prefer to use a JB. Trying one in parallel is a good idea. I usually don't like parallel tones all that much, but with a hot pickup, it might work well.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The Screamin Demon in the neck also works very well with the JB. It has some of that single coilish attack, would be a good shred pup too.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyKiller View Post
                            You sure of this? Cant speak for all years but my KV2 from 2008 very much came stock with a SH2 Jazz.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Tony
                              , what would you want this pickup to have?
                              If i am understanding that question i think a pu that has a lot less output but still has all the tradmemark JB traits,like it would be really singing,has good bite,harmonixs out the wazzoo(thats what is cool about a air norton) plenty of sustain and be punchy. So really all i am doing is describing a lower output JB which would also make a great bridge pickup too,if the reg JB is too hot for you.
                              i am really thinkin ERIK H already hit this with his parallel idea.!
                              I am goin to go try it right now!
                              Excellent deals with,

Comment

Working...
                              X