Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: silver zephyrs

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    I can answer that: in recorded media, the "liveliness" get squashed by the compression and AD/DA conversion algorhythms.

It can show how it sounds EQ-wise, but it just can't share the "physicality" of what you "feel" playing an instrument with Zephyrs.

It's like watching a film of a F1 car. You just can't feel the G-force squashing your body in the cockpit.

HTH,
    One possible interpretation of this statement is that the Zephyrs are a waste of money if you're primarily using the guitar to record.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
      One possible interpretation of this statement is that the Zephyrs are a waste of money if you're primarily using the guitar to record.
      If your mindset is as contort as to interpret my statement in this way, then the Zephyrs are absolutely and definately a waste of money, time and resources on you.

About ten months ago, a customer of mine brought a '59 RI with Zephyrs from some acquaintance of his and I had the opportunity to put it through its paces for 'bout 45 minutes.

I had the preconceived idea that such a product was targeted to Audiophiles with a lot more money to burn than common sense, so I thought "let's get this thing debunked, pronto!".

Not only I couldn't debunk it, I was SOLD on the darned things. If I had the cash, I'd buy a set in a microsecond flat. Why? Because what you feel is imprinted in the way you play. And you just can't put a price on an emotion leading to a performance.

HTH,

Comment

Anoother way to interpret is it the difference is feel similar to that between a tube amp and a solid state amp, at least that`s the impression I`m getting. Not necessarily the same per se, but similar in nature.

I`ve got way too many ideas playing dodgeball in my head right now, but something tells me that a set of Zephyrs will eventually be part of one of them.
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

What I find amazing is that we're not even allowed to decide for ourselves if we can hear a difference in these clips - the guys with Zephyrs just refuse to give us any. I mean, we literally have no idea what these pickups sound like. We can hear clip of a 59, and a clip of a Custom, and hear a difference there. But we're just not able to even get a rough idea of how the Zephyr pickups sound here. What the hell is going on? I mean, if when the first 59/C hybrids were made, everyone just outright refused to share clips, why would anyone believe it was worth a try?

Sure, yes, OK, the feel is great but, er, the sound is kinda important too?

I find the whole thing really off-putting as, unfortunately, if the pickups were pure snake oil then this is exactly the kind of thing we'd be seeing.
          Last edited by jumble jumble; 02-10-2013, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
            Tried making clips, but you just don't get the full grasp of the awesomeness of the zephyrs. Buy m.try m. Love m.
            Yeah can we at least hear the clips though?

Comment

FWITW I,m putting a set in my next(currant) tele build. What's an extra grand? My time on MOP and binding?.. Or tone?
              I'll beat the living snot out of the fookers.. It's a win-win.

Comment

why not do a Humbucker bridge, a Strat middle, and a Tele neck? OR better yet....a zephyr P90 set(?) what would that be like? dog ears, staple, soap bar?

Comment

WTF?

Comment

But then - everything expensive is. Steve Lukather for example is famous for showing up with semi-garbage and still one of the most popular session players.

Comment

I did record Orpheo and Petie playing the Zephyrs here and we should have that up in a couple weeks.

Comment

Musiciansenemy has 15% off one order, bringing a set of hummelbuckers or 3x Strat down to $812, free ship, usually no tax.

Any biters?

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                          Yeah can we at least hear the clips though?
                          I said no, and I will maintain saying no. The real magic happens in a spectrum most equipment just can't record. Its a pickle, I know.

Also, the comparison with the 59custom hybrid is flawed. That pickup had a distinct, new tone. The zephyrs offer something more HiFi, more clinical, more transparent. Sometimes you gotta make a leap of faith...

I hope the clip Olson made will give a remote impression of the tone. Pity I was having a major jet lag (Thank god Peter jumped in to cover my ass )

Comment

That's cool that we'll get to hear them.

I do understand where you're coming from with this, Orpheo, and yes it is a tricky one. But I do think it's worth hearing clips because this is one set of pickups - it's not like you can get a Zephyr 59, a Zephyr Custom, a Zephyr Brobucker, etc. So in theory, I could buy them, finally understand what you're talking about with the hi-fi thing, but at the same time also think "oh crap - these things have [way too much mids|not enough treble|too much treble|too much focus in the bass|whatever else]. That's what I mean - at the moment we have no clue at all what they sound like even on that level. If the neck pickup is super-articulate and I want muddy, well, they're still useless right?

So I can see you're saying, no clips because you won't hear the Zephyr magic. But I'd at least like to hear roughly what they sound like without the Zephyr magic - because that is still useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                              That's cool that we'll get to hear them.

I do understand where you're coming from with this, Orpheo, and yes it is a tricky one. But I do think it's worth hearing clips because this is one set of pickups - it's not like you can get a Zephyr 59, a Zephyr Custom, a Zephyr Brobucker, etc. So in theory, I could buy them, finally understand what you're talking about with the hi-fi thing, but at the same time also think "oh crap - these things have [way too much mids|not enough treble|too much treble|too much focus in the bass|whatever else]. That's what I mean - at the moment we have no clue at all what they sound like even on that level. If the neck pickup is super-articulate and I want muddy, well, they're still useless right?

So I can see you're saying, no clips because you won't hear the Zephyr magic. But I'd at least like to hear roughly what they sound like without the Zephyr magic - because that is still useful information.

A zephyr version of the regular or custom line of SD Pups can be made. and if you find that there is just too much mids/treb/bass or whatever...dial in your amp differently or raise/lower the PUs

Comment

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
                                A zephyr version of the regular or custom line of SD Pups can be made
                                Not quite - you can have a 59 made with silver wire, cryo treatment, the same polepieces, bobbins, etc, but it won't be a Zephyr. Zephyr is that ONE set of pickups.

and if you find that there is just too much mids/treb/bass or whatever...dial in your amp differently or raise/lower the PUs
                                If this were true, there'd be no need for more than one model of pickup at all - you're saying the tone of any regular pickup can be achieved by slinging a 59 in there and then making these adjustments, which we all know not to be true. Otherwise SD wouldn't make more than one humbucker, one Strat pickup, one P90, and so on - and the Zephyr wouldn't be needed either we could just adjust our pickups to get the sound.

And let's be clear here: the reason you're posting this is that you're arguing against us ever hearing these pickups without trying them. What possible harm can it do?

Comment

Working...
                                X