Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: silver zephyrs

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
    Are these zephyrs (or all stock zephyrs) a bells and whistles version of an already existing pup? Meaning: is the zephyr just a blinged out JB/59' or _____
    It's proprietary information, so I wouldn't look for a specific answer. But it has been said publicly that they are all in the Vintage family of winds. So HB in the PAF range, Strats and Teles in the vintage Fender range.

Comment

• silver zephyrs

That's the first time I've heard that, and it's very, very useful. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
        Who's in the video?
        First dude is Orpheo.

Comment

can I have gold pole pieces on the PUs?

Or is what I see what I get

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
            Watch in 1080p. Wish it hadn't been strung up with neon strings but oh well - I'll get you a proper Zephyr demo one of these days but for now hopefully this gives you a little bit of an idea.
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

What happened to this vid that it's private now?
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

We realize that with something like the Zephyr that was purely designed without our usual regard for cost that you guys need more information and thorough demos to make an informed decision. It's been on the back burner for a while to really give them the attention they deserve but there are those who have tried them and absolutely love them (Orpheo is one of those people, even some famous artists who I won't yet name). So, we are very close to giving you multiple professional demos that go through all the paces for both the humbucker, Tele and Strat versions. We also worked extremely hard to find ways to lower the costs and I'll let you guys know right here to expect a reduction in price (not a huge reduction, but it should make a difference).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                We realize that with something like the Zephyr that was purely designed without our usual regard for cost that you guys need more information and thorough demos to make an informed decision. It's been on the back burner for a while to really give them the attention they deserve but there are those who have tried them and absolutely love them (Orpheo is one of those people, even some famous artists who I won't yet name). So, we are very close to giving you multiple professional demos that go through all the paces for both the humbucker, Tele and Strat versions. We also worked extremely hard to find ways to lower the costs and I'll let you guys know right here to expect a reduction in price (not a huge reduction, but it should make a difference).
                I built 3 Warmoth guitars using Zephs. First was a strat with Zeph humbuckers, then a strat with single coils, and then a tele with the tele model Zephs. I could clearly hear the difference, best description is it's simply pups in HD. Kind of sounds like the amp is right under the strings it's that present. Those that play guitar way better than me, and my guitar tech who is probably the best rocker I know out here all believe they are the best pickups they have ever heard.

If anyone orders from SD, I would suggest that at least with the tele model that you ask SD to pot the pups. They come unpotted and if you use lots of gain from pedals there is feedback in the high ranges. A noise suppressor/gate takes care of that problem for us, so it's not a big deal. The down side of potting is of course for some the whole purpose of going for the gusto with Zephyrs is to be as clear and raw as scientifically possible. I'm not an expert but have heard potted pups when compared to the exact same model of pups tend to lose a tiny bit compared to the same unpotted pups. Just an FYI on the tele Zephs. You probably want to put these on your guitar of guitars.......everyone has an opinion and mine and that of all who play my guitars is that you can't get any better today than Zephyrs.

Can't wait for that price drop! :-) We plan to order more - and the Custom Shop informed us we could have them potted and it's been a while, but I believe they will also custom make just about any pup with the same technology. If that's not a true statement then Scott can jump in. I plan to ask the Custom Shop for a David Gilmore set up but using Zephyrs. Enjoy!

Comment

I'd give the Strat or Tele models a shot if they came down to $250. I don't follow the price of silver, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                    I'd give the Strat or Tele models a shot if they came down to $250. I don't follow the price of silver, though.
                    Really? How very nice of you even considering "giving a shot".

Don't hold your breath, though...
                    Last edited by LtKojak; 06-18-2014, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Without a doubt, if SD comes down significantly in price I'd jump and buy another 1-2 sets. Seems to me that after the guitar player him/herself, the next factor for tone comes right down to the pickup. If you are looking or might enjoy an HD sound that is more clear than any others, zephyrs will get you that immediate jump in the quality of your guitar sound. Of course, not everyone is looking for or needs an HD quality sound from their guitar - just like not everyone feels a need for HD TV. All 3 sets stand out and deliver a super clean sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
                        Without a doubt, if SD comes down significantly in price I'd jump and buy another 1-2 sets. Seems to me that after the guitar player him/herself, the next factor for tone comes right down to the pickup. If you are looking or might enjoy an HD sound that is more clear than any others, zephyrs will get you that immediate jump in the quality of your guitar sound. Of course, not everyone is looking for or needs an HD quality sound from their guitar - just like not everyone feels a need for HD TV. All 3 sets stand out and deliver a super clean sound.
                        Errr..
                        We also worked extremely hard to find ways to lower the costs and I'll let you guys know right here to expect a reduction in price (not a huge reduction, but it should make a difference).
                        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

If you are looking or might enjoy an HD sound that is more clear than any others, zephyrs will get you that immediate jump in the quality of your guitar sound.
                          I don't know that I'm picking up what you're putting down. If someone wants a very clear pickup with a wide dynamic range, silver isn't necessary. A low wound coil with a ceramic magnet should give you a clear-as-mountain-water response, but there's a reason that's not a popular pickup recipe. People like darker pickups and pickups that compress, qualities that give a pickup personality, and are somewhat the opposite of what's thought of as "HD", generally.

I'm not even expecting greatness. I just want to see what coil with silver wire sounds and plays like. It will be different, I'm certain of that, but how it will be different is the question. Even $250 seems a little insane for a single pickup, but silver doesn't grow on trees.

Comment

Good points, poor description on my part, but respectfully no, there is little comparison with low wound coils with ceramic magnets because while they at times produce what is described as vintage sound, sparkle, chime, you name it, they are almost always also thin. Imagine a much more thick, fat, wide, deep, all present sound and that's my opinion of the difference. Something very clear that hits it big with those who have tried my guitars, and my guitar tech who is a great heavy rocker. He can't stop talking about them. Hope they come down in price so many more can try these pups. A great addition to the SD diverse line.

Comment

Quick!

Now I need to buy the old ones before they are ruined by cost control

Comment

Without a doubt, if SD comes down significantly in price I'd jump and buy another 1-2 sets.
                                Wait... after you have already bought 3 sets really whats the difference in springing for another 1 or 2? The HD effect is so good you have to have 3 sets but not good enough for 5?
                                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                                X