Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: silver zephyrs

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    Musiciansenemy has 15% off one order, bringing a set of hummelbuckers or 3x Strat down to $812, free ship, usually no tax.

Any biters?
    And people complain that Bareknuckle Pickups are too expensive and won't try them!

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
      That's cool that we'll get to hear them.

I do understand where you're coming from with this, Orpheo, and yes it is a tricky one. But I do think it's worth hearing clips because this is one set of pickups - it's not like you can get a Zephyr 59, a Zephyr Custom, a Zephyr Brobucker, etc. So in theory, I could buy them, finally understand what you're talking about with the hi-fi thing, but at the same time also think "oh crap - these things have [way too much mids|not enough treble|too much treble|too much focus in the bass|whatever else]. That's what I mean - at the moment we have no clue at all what they sound like even on that level. If the neck pickup is super-articulate and I want muddy, well, they're still useless right?

So I can see you're saying, no clips because you won't hear the Zephyr magic. But I'd at least like to hear roughly what they sound like without the Zephyr magic - because that is still useful information.
      yes, that's true. you'll get a grasp on the overall tone. but not the 'magic' so to say. thats true

Comment

actually, Slash got an alnico2 zephyr set and just that mag swap made a huge difference. I heard a guy at Duncan's who make a hybrid with a 'zephyr JB and something else' and that was from what I was able to piece together an amazing pickup. I thought of doing some crazy zephyrisation of pickups but nah... rather not.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
          Not quite - you can have a 59 made with silver wire, cryo treatment, the same polepieces, bobbins, etc, but it won't be a Zephyr. Zephyr is that ONE set of pickups.

If this were true, there'd be no need for more than one model of pickup at all - you're saying the tone of any regular pickup can be achieved by slinging a 59 in there and then making these adjustments, which we all know not to be true. Otherwise SD wouldn't make more than one humbucker, one Strat pickup, one P90, and so on - and the Zephyr wouldn't be needed either we could just adjust our pickups to get the sound.

And let's be clear here: the reason you're posting this is that you're arguing against us ever hearing these pickups without trying them. What possible harm can it do?

Lol, are you yelling for no reason? You said exactly what I said...A zephyr version of existing pups can be made, right. But will it be THEEE zephyrs? Of course not.

You initially were talking about lack or too much of existing mids/bass/trebs. Not the flavor or the way they react to your playing. If the issue is a 3 band issue, you don't go ahead and rip out your pups and spend 50+ dollars on new ones.

And really...the zephyr is not NEEDED

Comment

Who cares what they sound like ? Buy them for the bragging rights and mystique ("so special you can never hear them").

This thread has convinced me i need to fit all my guitars with them, so that's what i'm going to do. And no, i won't be recording them, they'll be too special. You've been told they're great, that's all you need; now just stop being a bunch of sissies and go and buy them. Sheesh.
            Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by 0v3nm4n View Post
              Lol, are you yelling for no reason? You said exactly what I said...A zephyr version of existing pups can be made, right. But will it be THEEE zephyrs? Of course not.
              Yelling? OK...

Right, so we agree then - if you can order Zephyr "versions" of existing pickups, it stands to reason that they will all sound different to each other, while all still having the Zephyr "magic". Which lends weight to my argument that we need to hear them to see what their character is besides the magic. If a Zephyr 59 sounds different to a Zephyr Screamin' Demon, then surely a plain ol' Zephyr has its own distinct sound too. And that's what I'd like to hear, and what people keep telling me I'm not allowed to hear.

You initially were talking about lack or too much of existing mids/bass/trebs. Not the flavor or the way they react to your playing. If the issue is a 3 band issue, you don't go ahead and rip out your pups and spend 50+ dollars on new ones.
              Yes, I didn't really make myself clear at first, because the examples I gave were EQ related. To be fair I did add "if the neck pickup is articulate, and I want muddy". What I was getting at is that besides the Zephyr uniqueness they will of course have a distinct overall color, which, again, is what I want to hear and am not allowed to.

And really...the zephyr is not NEEDED
              Yeah, you know what I mean though, we're approacing a semantics argument here.

Let's not lose sight of what we're talking about here: I would simply like to hear some clips of the Zephyr pickups to get a feel for their sonic character. You can pick holes in the exact meanings of my posts if you like, but while that may waste some time while I go over and re-explain what I mean, none of it is an actual argument in support of denying me the opportunity to hear what a Zephyr pickup sounds like.

The conversation so far can be summed up as:

A: I would like to hear what these pickups sound like
              B: You won't hear what makes them so special.
              A: OK, but can I hear them anyway just to get an overall idea?
              B: No.
              A: Why not? I think it would be helful.
              B: You spelled "helpful" wrong, so obviously you shouldn't hear what these pickups sound like.

Comment

The whole point is academic now to be honest, as Scott has said he is going to get some clips up for us to hear. Which is awesome.

Comment

still waiting...

Comment

and WAITING.....!
                    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                    If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

• Re: silver zephyrs

And keep on waiting got enough on my plate. It will be uploaded just not now.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                          I did record Orpheo and Petie playing the Zephyrs here and we should have that up in a couple weeks.
                          Yet?
                          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Does anybody know specifically whether I can combine the 7% Mr Rebates cashback with regular 12% or 15% off coupons on musiciansfriend?

I am pretty close to mcguyvering together a price I could live with for the humbucker set.

Comment

It's cool....I understand the, lot on the plate deal. I haven't been able to do much on my build do to it...ARG! That's why I haven't up dated it in a while.
                              Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                              If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

I'd love to get a set of these, but unfortunately, I've got all my funds tied up in a new line of clothing. As they were originally designed for royalty, (a European emperor from years past) they have a certain quality about them, not readily apparent to the eye... If it weren't for that, I'd certainly buy a set!
                                I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it left.

Comment

Working...
                                X