banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Hi guys.

I want to keep this thread alive as a resource for all Black Winter Owners and potential Black Winter Users.

Post your experiences here.

~LD
    For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Im much happier with the pickups in my red charvel now, Jazz UOA5 and Custom 8, but when I get the $$ Im still gonna get a set of red BWs...

LUCYD, I never noticed the bit in your sig about the PAF Pros! Awesome idea! I need to snip the legs off a couple Dims of mine and make some paperweights too!! What you running in the Jem?
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Im much happier with the pickups in my red charvel now, Jazz UOA5 and Custom 8, but when I get the $$ Im still gonna get a set of red BWs...

LUCYD, I never noticed the bit in your sig about the PAF Pros! Awesome idea! I need to snip the legs off a couple Dims of mine and make some paperweights too!! What you running in the Jem?
        91 Blu Floral = L500XL Bridge - Quarter Pound Middle - Pearly Gates Neck
        88 Floral = Distortion Bridge - SSL1 Middle - Pearly Gates Neck
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

I'm torn. I like how BW sounds on my records when using my amp modeler. Through Randall Diavlo RD40C, it sounds too fizzy and harsh without additional boost. I don't think it is the matter of high output. The lower output Nazgul has the same problem, whereas PATB-2 (distortion) which is appr. as loud as black winter sounds awesome regardless of amp settings.

I need more tube amps for tests to tell for sure

Comment

Swapping the ceramic magnet for your choice of Alnico reduces fizzyness.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Swapping the ceramic magnet for your choice of Alnico reduces fizzyness.
              Well... hmmm... In one thread it was said the BW had 3 large ceramics. So the choice is basically between A(2-8) and ceramic spacers, isn't it?

Comment

Yeah that works really well actually. I have a Custom with an A8 and ceramic spacers and it still sounds organic. But with a little fizz and bite from the ceramic spacers.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
                  I'm torn. I like how BW sounds on my records when using my amp modeler. Through Randall Diavlo RD40C, it sounds too fizzy and harsh without additional boost. I don't think it is the matter of high output. The lower output Nazgul has the same problem, whereas PATB-2 (distortion) which is appr. as loud as black winter sounds awesome regardless of amp settings.

I need more tube amps for tests to tell for sure
                  Probably not the pickups fault then. Microphone(s), microphone placement, speakers, cabinets, room and know-how greatly dictates the outcome. More so than a simple mag swap!

Start with the basics when recording, I say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                    Probably not the pickups fault then. Microphone(s), microphone placement, speakers, cabinets, room and know-how greatly dictates the outcome. More so than a simple mag swap!

Start with the basics when recording, I say!

Yeah, I have yet to find the setup.

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
                      I might have to put a set of Black Winters in my Charvel with triple shot rings.
                      Did this to my charvel 88. Really like it. Lots of variety in tones for sure. Usable tones in all triple shot settings.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
                        Yeah, I have yet to find the setup.
                        And don’t be afraid to use eq. [emoji4]

As far as the BW go though, I would try it with 250-300k pot first before mag swap if you wanna try *something* to tame pickup harshness. I use a guitarworks 280k pot, and I vastly prefer it as opposed to the 550k pot I had in there before.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                          And don’t be afraid to use eq. [emoji4]
                          I'm not afraid of anything not involving soldering or violating the product warranty in general

Comment

Just adding my two cents of experience to this long-running thread. Had the BW set installed in my Epi Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro, plugged into a Marshall 30-watt practice amp, with an MRX distortion pedal. My LP has been reborn! I read tons of BW reviews before making the purchase, and they do everything advertised and more. The bridge is crisp and cutting, really brightens up my all-mahogany LP, with great definition when distorted and usable lead tones.

The neck ... man. I've never encountered a neck pickup like this one. It's crazy good / versatile / playable. Rock leads, blues leads, cleans, jazz tones, funk even ... it's all there. Splits very well too. Sensitive to rolling back the volume in a good way. I haven't even gotten into experimenting with the mid position yet. All in all, two thumbs up! I want to thank everyone here for all the insightful commentary on the Winters. It gave me a really clear picture of what they could do and they haven't disappointed me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                              Just adding my two cents of experience to this long-running thread. Had the BW set installed in my Epi Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro, plugged into a Marshall 30-watt practice amp, with an MRX distortion pedal. My LP has been reborn! I read tons of BW reviews before making the purchase, and they do everything advertised and more. The bridge is crisp and cutting, really brightens up my all-mahogany LP, with great definition when distorted and usable lead tones.

The neck ... man. I've never encountered a neck pickup like this one. It's crazy good / versatile / playable. Rock leads, blues leads, cleans, jazz tones, funk even ... it's all there. Splits very well too. Sensitive to rolling back the volume in a good way. I haven't even gotten into experimenting with the mid position yet. All in all, two thumbs up! I want to thank everyone here for all the insightful commentary on the Winters. It gave me a really clear picture of what they could do and they haven't disappointed me at all.
                              I LOVE that you love them and I'm so happy this thread is still going strong.

I'm like...five years into my Winters and they still blow me away. That neck pickup is like a lead pickup but with all the neck tastiness you could ask for.

I'm still in love.

EDIT: I went back into the depths of this thread and I can't believe it has been FIVE YEARS!!! It seems like yesterday.
                              Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 11-01-2018, 10:04 AM. Reason: Edit marked

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                                I LOVE that you love them and I'm so happy this thread is still going strong.

I'm like...five years into my Winters and they still blow me away. That neck pickup is like a lead pickup but with all the neck tastiness you could ask for.

I'm still in love.

EDIT: I went back into the depths of this thread and I can't believe it has been FIVE YEARS!!! It seems like yesterday.
                                So glad to hear this relationship is holding steady after five years -- no flash-in-the-pan romance!

Lucy, your posts were a huge reason I went BW. All that A/B testing, the description of tones, particularly for the neck -- you were not overselling its awesomeness. It's going to be super-hard for me to look at any future guitar purchases and not want to throw a BW neck in there right away. I have a Sentient in my other guitar (a Schecter), and I love it for the vintage output quality, but the BW neck ... truly special.

Comment

Working...
                                X