banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Just ordered a set of white bobbin BW 7's for my KM-7. And now the waiting game...

Comment

Originally posted by RustInPeace View Post
      Just ordered a set of white bobbin BW 7's for my KM-7. And now the waiting game...
      Now you check the tracking number like...Anything?.....Anything???...How 'bout now??

For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Had my set delivered to my ol' folks as UPS Acces Points are not available for COD orders. Hope I can get around to installing them today.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
          Had my set delivered to my ol' folks as UPS Access Points are not available for COD orders. Hope I can get around to installing them today.
          Cool! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Comment

They are your pickups and your delivery...why the heck am I so excited
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

So, got my Black Winter set today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LP00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	5785286
              Takes me right back to the good ol' days of obscure tape trading .

Here they are in the LPC (could use a little dusting).
              Click image for larger version

Name:	LP01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	5785288

Didn't really get around to play with pickup height too much as I didn't have too much time test driving them, but here's the initial impressions through an '80 JMP MV (with a script logo Distortion + as boost)

Clean channel sounds are clear and even in all 3 positions.
              Cleanup with the guitars volume knob while on the dirty channel is impressive (even with the boost engaged).

The distorted rhythm tones are dry, clear and tight. Yet not sterile sounding by a longshot. Doesn't get muddy with the gain maxed out and the string to string definition while doing those big chords is great.

The lead sounds are great in all positions. No mud on the neck pickup, no overly bright bridge sounds, just a really balanced tone with great articulation wich makes switching positions mid solo pretty seemless.

Will get some more playtime tomorrow, but basically everything that's been said before seems to be true in my brief experience.
              Balanced, tight and versatile. Great match for this guitar!

Comment

@elsupremo

THAT'S MAH BOOOOOOOOOY!!!!

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

That's all there is to it man...I'm throwing them in my Custom \m/,

Yo! The volume knob thing is scary right!?!?! It's like...the same pickup only exactly what you need it to be at lower levels. It's impossible!! But it's really not impossible...I used to bullseye womprats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.
                Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 05-20-2015, 12:18 PM. Reason: Yet...more typos. I am plagued by typos!!!

Comment

Very cool! Would you be able to make some sound clips?

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
                    Very cool! Would you be able to make some sound clips?
                    Unfortunately not at the moment. The mic on my ancient phone won't be able to do it justice.
                    The killertonetexas clips pretty much nail it though.

Didn't get to much playtime yesterday. Today was pretty busy too, but it did get to dial 'em in a bit more. Lowered the pickups a bit. Neck pickup about flush with the ring (to be rid of any wavering) and balanced the bridge accordingly. Kinda backwards, but that's how I roll .
                    Tamed a bit of the high end and added a bit more thickness and clarity.

Fooled around a bit more with my Marshalls eq section and what strikes me is that it never gets muddy or boomy even with severe scooping. Bumping the mids yields a nice grinding crunch without sounding boxy.
                    I was a bit skeptical about a cermaic pickup in the neck position (long time A5 user), but the BW neck is great. Great cleans, balanced string to string volume and just the right amount of compression to get things singing without losing responsiveness.

Think I'll hook up my HM2 up tomorrow and check how it handles some old school riffing.

Comment

Ok so El Supremo...lemme ask you THIS.

She sounds good....does she still sound like a Les Paul?

Comment

Good question. I bet it kills.

Comment

HM2!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                            Ok so El Supremo...lemme ask you THIS.

She sounds good....does she still sound like a Les Paul?
                            The EQ is pretty neutral actually, so I'm definitely hearing my guitar with not a whole lot added to it EQ wise (with guitar volume down that is). With the volume dimed there's the obvious compression with the focused highs and lows whilst that midrange bark (that's kinda typical for this guitar) is definitely there.
                            So yeah, it's still a Les Paul, but with a very "in your face" presence .

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                              HM2!!!!
                              Yup. What better way to test a Scandinavian metal pickup .

Comment

Got the BW 7's installed last night (pics soon!). Have only had time to play through my hd500x with headphones but heres what I think so far:

- The 6/6/6 eq is correct.
                                - The bridge is slightly less aggressive than I thought it would be, but I will be messing with the pickup heights.
                                - The neck does cleans very well, and there is no noticeable volume loss when split. very cool.
                                - Not sure about lead tones yet. I prefer a neck pickup thats scooped with lots of bass (EMG het set neck is my fav neck pup), I think I may prefer the sentient over this.

Comment

Working...
                                X