banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
    Ambient and jazzy?

Oh yeah, the BW is for you
    yep exactely, you can listen some of my stuff here, so that you can get an idea of what I play:
    Last edited by Gila_Crisis; 09-04-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gila_Crisis View Post
      yep exactely, you can listen some of my stuff here:
      WOW Man! That track reminded me of the Resident Evil videogames! Is the guitar sounding using the Black Winters? It sounds clear, huge, big, ''spooky dark'' (in an evil way).
      Please tell me if you use the BW Set in other tracks of your SoundCloud Page. Thank you!
      Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
        WOW Man! That track reminded me of the Resident Evil videogames! Is the guitar sounding using the Black Winters? It sounds clear, huge, big, ''spooky dark'' (in an evil way).
        Please tell me if you use the BW Set in other tracks of your SoundCloud Page. Thank you!
        nope, that's a fender am. std strat with a warmoth baritone neck, tuned down to A, pickups are italian handmade single coils.
        At the moment I don't have a guitar with BW, otherwise I wouldn't have asked, if the BW could be good for the stuff I play.

Comment

I don't play anything like that...

However, I do think the black winter would do fine with that sort of playing and effects.

Comment

I'm considering swapping my Slash Alnico II Pro's for a Black Winter set. The pickups will be going to a 97' Gibson Flying V.
            What do you all people think? I personally want to play with more gain, and I'm feeling the Slash set ain't that powerful enough compared to what a SH-5/59n combination can provide. The Duncan Custom/59n is my combination to do all in one guitar, but I want something that can go even further than that. The Slash set rocks for vintage rock n' roll Aerosmith and even Chuck Berry style, but I feel them ''clean'' all the time; unless I have them in volume 8 - 10. Then they rock!
            Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

I'm getting a Schecter SLS C7, baritone 7 string guitar (26.5" scale, mahogany body, maple set neck with ebony fingerboard). This guitar is loaded with SD Full shred in the bridge and a 59. But I was thinking to maybe change pickups.
              For my needs I need to cover a great range on genres going from ambient, to jazzy stuff and up to more doom-metallesque moods.
              Do you think a set of Black Winter could be a good choice?
              Finally on Monday I received the guitar. I must admit that I'm really amazed how it sounds! Especially the neck and neck+bridge position are really cool and have this kind of funky, stratocasterish sound. Btw pickups I found out are a Jazz in the neck and the Fullshred in the bridge. So far I'm really happy the guitar in its whole. Maybe only the bridge pickup it's a bit too on the bright side for my taste, but at the moment I'm still learning to know the guitar.

Btw how do the Jazz and the Fullshred compare to the Black Winters in you opinion?

Comment

Finally on Monday I received the guitar. I must admit that I'm really amazed how it sounds! Especially the neck and neck+bridge position are really cool and have this kind of funky, stratocasterish sound. Btw pickups I found out are a Jazz in the neck and the Fullshred in the bridge. So far I'm really happy the guitar in its whole. Maybe only the bridge pickup it's a bit too on the bright side for my taste, but at the moment I'm still learning to know the guitar.

Btw how do the Jazz and the Fullshred compare to the Black Winters in you opinion?

If you like the Jazz in the neck, you will feel at home with the Black Winter neck. That's really all I can say. I have a Jazz in the neck of my old Ibanez USA Custom that I brought out of hiding a few nights ago and I remember thinking that the Jazz reminded me of something that I couldn't put my finger on until I read your post. The Black Winter neck doesn't really "sound" like a Jazz but once you play one, you will understand that they are related somehow. They aren't brother and sister, but they are close enough cousins that they can't breed.

Also...two posts up.

Black Winters are great with effects.
                For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

one thing I noticed is my BW sounds a little better (maybe just the guitar) a half step down or more...you can hear all the frequencies better than when tuned standard as it gets a bit harsh in the mids..... just imo of course

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                    If you like the Jazz in the neck, you will feel at home with the Black Winter neck. That's really all I can say. I have a Jazz in the neck of my old Ibanez USA Custom that I brought out of hiding a few nights ago and I remember thinking that the Jazz reminded me of something that I couldn't put my finger on until I read your post. The Black Winter neck doesn't really "sound" like a Jazz but once you play one, you will understand that they are related somehow. They aren't brother and sister, but they are close enough cousins that they can't breed.

Also...two posts up.

Black Winters are great with effects.
                    You know what I really like about this guitar and the PUs combination is that despite the mid/high gain pickups, it has a really vintage vibed, funky voicing! I have another 7 string guitar, which has a more warm, deep voicing (and I like it a lot), so it's cool to have this second 7 with a completely opposite sound (and I think also because of the baritone scale, the other 7 string is a standard 25.5" scale guitar, instead od 26.5", both guitar mount the same string gauge, only this Schecter is tuned one step down). I also like a lot to use the splitted pickups, especially with a crunchy distortion. I think I'll wait a bit more before deciding, if I really need to change the pickups.
                    You know the problem is also to understand how different the pickups will sound. I found some videos on youtube, but most of them are too metal oriented for me to understand how the BW really sound...

Comment

You know what I really like about this guitar and the PUs combination is that despite the mid/high gain pickups, it has a really vintage vibed, funky voicing! I have another 7 string guitar, which has a more warm, deep voicing (and I like it a lot), so it's cool to have this second 7 with a completely opposite sound (and I think also because of the baritone scale, the other 7 string is a standard 25.5" scale guitar, instead od 26.5", both guitar mount the same string gauge, only this Schecter is tuned one step down). I also like a lot to use the splitted pickups, especially with a crunchy distortion. I think I'll wait a bit more before deciding, if I really need to change the pickups.
                      You know the problem is also to understand how different the pickups will sound. I found some videos on youtube, but most of them are too metal oriented for me to understand how the BW really sound...
                      Here's a vid of me screwing around with my BW swt back when they were in my JS Series King V. I mess around with some old school Metal, throw in some Soundgarden, a couple old school ACDC riffs, and at one point back off the volume until it cleans up. I don't know if this helps or not.

And beware, my playing isn't perfect and I screw up alot.

Just me messing around with my Jackson JS Series King V when I still had my Seymour Duncan Black Winter set in it (they're now in my Les Paul) the night I br...
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

so, after a week and more playing the Schecter SLS C7 I decided to keep the Jazz in the Neck (I love it, it's a really sweet pickup).
                        And today...I ordered a Black Winter for the bridge position.

Comment

Almost 2hours ago I received the Black Winter and installed it in the guitar.. I was playing it until now.
                          What can I say? ... simply WOW! The BW is really a great pickup!
                          It sounds the way I was expecting it to be: clear with a good shiny presence and the balls I was missing with the fullshred (mostly in the low end).
                          The cleans are wonderful, bright but full, with a really funky attitude!
                          With heavy distortions I love the presence of each the note with this jangly attack which reminds of a single coil kind of sound. The overall sound is tight, full and really balanced, not too much mids nor boomy lows or perching trebles.

And together with Jazz in the neck they cope really well together!

Comment

Almost 2hours ago I received the Black Winter and installed it in the guitar.. I was playing it until now.
                            What can I say? ... simply WOW! The BW is really a great pickup!
                            It sounds the way I was expecting it to be: clear with a good shiny presence and the balls I was missing with the fullshred (mostly in the low end).
                            The cleans are wonderful, bright but full, with a really funky attitude!
                            With heavy distortions I love the presence of each the note with this jangly attack which reminds of a single coil kind of sound. The overall sound is tight, full and really balanced, not too much mids nor boomy lows or perching trebles.

And together with Jazz in the neck they cope really well together!

Pretty nice review man!
                            Would you use it for Chuck Berry style playing?
                            Yes! I know they're high output and I ''should'' go the other way; but I would like to know.
                            I have been considering swapping my Slash Alnico II Pro set for Black Winters, but I'm not just sure yet.
                            I'm a standard user of a Duncan Custom + 59n set*
                            Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post
                              Pretty nice review man!
                              Would you use it for Chuck Berry style playing?
                              Yes! I know they're high output and I ''should'' go the other way; but I would like to know.
                              I have been considering swapping my Slash Alnico II Pro set for Black Winters, but I'm not just sure yet.
                              I'm a standard user of a Duncan Custom + 59n set*
                              well I think you can also play chuck berry stuff with it. A think I've noticed which play a big role is also the pickup height from the strings.
                              I had to lower mine a bit to perfectly mach the Jazz output volume.

Comment

well I think you can also play chuck berry stuff with it. A think I've noticed which play a big role is also the pickup height from the strings.
                                I had to lower mine a bit to perfectly mach the Jazz output volume.
                                Thank you for your kind reply! I have been considering the BW set for my Flying V, since hearing about his power, and versatility for lot of genres. My guitar actually has a Slash Alnico II Pro set installed. While it has neat clarity for a lot of stuff, I have some complains about them. I feel a lack of bass in them. I hear it as all mids and treble, but weak bass. I also kind that I need to get the volume up to 8 or max out 10 to get it to overdrive. It sounds decent up there, but I need to push them too much for the ''heavy'' sound. Meaning... high gain amp (my Blackstar HT-40), and a pedal to get it even more out there. But I like the power and how much I can accomplish with my Duncan Custom + 59n' set on my DBZ Guitar. It's the most sought after tone for all people booking me for guitar duties. I plan to leave the DBZ as it's, but I want my Flying V to become my main guitar. I need it as powerful and versatile as powerful. I may be playing things all over the place (reggae, latin rock, classic rock, 80's, hard rock, alternative, pop, 50's rock n' roll). I need a guitar that can really pull all that. Is it possible with the Black Winter set?

PS. I need to say that I have a strange ''ground'' sound coming from my Flying V. Can that malfunction be affecting my humbuckers, stealing the bass or quick overdriving capabilities? Please let me know! I may need to sell my AII Pro Set for the BW's*
                                Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                                X