banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    Hi there [waves],

Yeah...a bunch of us think it is silly.
    Wasnt it Olsen that relayed that the 666 thing came from keith? and that it was his "perception" but he was actually being serious... for that matter all the BMT's are just some guys perception of it. You could even say that you thinking its 889 is not so different from 666 just you think its a bit more pushed than keith does.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
      I'd love to give those a listen, if you wouldn't mind posting them.
      I haven't heard the HetSet at all.

People seem happy with them. Is it true that they are a crisper version of the '81 and the '60?

I know he likes the look of pole pieces in particular but there must be more to it than that.
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Hi there [waves],

Yeah...a bunch of us think it is silly.

Posts 88 and 89 of this thread are comments from Dahla and me saying it's closer to 8/8/9 to my ears and 7/8/9 to Dahla's.

I still think it would be funny to just make it w/t/f but that's just the natural born easter egg seeking wise-ass in me
        Thought the same. I'm no expert really, but Duncan says the Distortion is 5/8/9 which would mean it would be much treblier than the BW, and I can't help but think the opposite, judging from mine. 6/6/6 also sounds like much less output than it actually has.
        Last edited by omg81; 04-30-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
          I have to dissapoint, I'm afraid. I tried finding the clips, but they appear lost. Abolished by the gods of harddrive cleanliness...

I'll check my backups, but it would just be easier recording new ones perhaps.

Crap. I was sure I still had that project with all those clips around somewhere.
          Hate when that happens. Thanks for looking. If you get around to doing new ones, lemme know.

Comment

Originally posted by omg81 View Post
            Thought the same. I'm no expert really, but Duncan says the Distortion is 5/8/9 which would mean it would be much treblier than the BW, and I can't help but think the opposite, judging from mine. 6/6/6 also sounds like much less output than it actually has.
            Well...for a while...when the Winters were just in Scandanavia, people were comparing them to distortions. "They are like the distortions only this....or...that..." They are a clear, high output pickup and that is pretty much where the comparison ends for me. I'm a little spoiled because of the amps I use and I rarely try to keep a pickup description at just "sounds like". To me The Black Winters and the Distortions FEEL completely different. The Winters track your playing mercilessly. There is no give...they are SO tight. The Distortions loosen up in certain places on the neck which is why I use them in most of my guitars. The Winters can do blues, but for me Distortions handle blues better. I prefer Winters with the volume on 6 or 7 for Jazz.
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

Kinda on a Thrash binge lately (a lot of Sodom mainly), so I've been looking at some higher output pickups for my Les Paul Custom.
              Black Winters seem like a good choice as I thought the DD was a little too fat on leads and need something leaner, but with a high output and a neck pickup that has absolutely no boom whatsoever on the lower strings higher up the neck.

Been looking at the Dirty Fingers too. Also has 3 ceramic mags from what I know (or thought I know) and the description seems similar to the Winter. Anyone compare those? Or the Black Winter set against the Dimarzio D-Activator set? The cleans on the latter weren't really to my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                Kinda on a Thrash binge lately (a lot of Sodom mainly), so I've been looking at some higher output pickups for my Les Paul Custom.
                Black Winters seem like a good choice as I thought the DD was a little too fat on leads and need something leaner, but with a high output and a neck pickup that has absolutely no boom whatsoever on the lower strings higher up the neck.

Been looking at the Dirty Fingers too. Also has 3 ceramic mags from what I know (or thought I know) and the description seems similar to the Winter. Anyone compare those? Or the Black Winter set against the Dimarzio D-Activator set? The cleans on the latter weren't really to my liking.

Hi there, I'm a thrash player from way back. My experience with the Dirty Fingers goes back about 7 years when I did some time in the Gibson showroom in New York. I gravitated towards guitars with Dirty Fingers while I was there because I had heard stories that originals were hard to find and that the new ones were different. From the countless hours I spent A/Bing old VS. New Dirty Fingers I can tell you that they are nothing like the Black Winters.

Black Winters are their own animal...completely. For me, their beauty lies in the ability to turn the volume down and have the same pickup only cleaner. The volume knob will clean up the pickup and not diminish it. The only way I can explain them if you haven't tried them is that they sound like what you need them to sound like at all volumes. I know that sounds magical but that's my experience.

To me, Dirty Fingers just sounded like hot Gibson pickups. I remember always thinking "great...they make a high output pickup but I'd still put Duncans in instead."

So basically, if you play a heavier blend of music and you buy a Gibson that comes with Dirty Fingers it will most likely take you a little longer to want to replace your pickups. Some people would be happy with them...you are here so I am speaking to you as if you wouldn't be.

Whatever you do, enjoy in good health and keep thrash alive.

~LD

Comment

Sounds (black) magickal indeed .
                  Cleanup with the guitar's volume is certainly a good thing to have as my JMP MV doesn't have channel switching.

Keep seeing good things about the neck pickup too. A bit anxious about putting a ceramic in the neck position as I'm so used to a5 mags for neck pickups. On the other hand I'm really annoyed when things get too boomy on the low strings and ceramics will probably help with eliminating that to a certain degree. Think I'll try a set very soon anyways. Thanks!

Comment

Sounds (black) magickal indeed .
                    Cleanup with the guitar's volume is certainly a good thing to have as my JMP MV doesn't have channel switching.

Keep seeing good things about the neck pickup too. A bit anxious about putting a ceramic in the neck position as I'm so used to a5 mags for neck pickups. On the other hand I'm really annoyed when things get too boomy on the low strings and ceramics will probably help with eliminating that to a certain degree. Think I'll try a set very soon anyways. Thanks!
                    Oh...I was the SAME way.

I've used the Pearly Gates in the neck for D E C A D E S. I'm like "What's this gonna be like!?!?" It's amazing.

Comment

I just found this video of Rick Graham reviewing the Black Winters.

Seymour Duncan has been making pickups for a long time - 1976 to be precise - and in that time he must have seen and heard Rock music change course many time...

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
                        I just found this video of Rick Graham reviewing the Black Winters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yFm-eQ05Rw
                        Saw this clip before. Nice playing, but I wish people would just use a normal amp (like a JCM800) without any effects to really showcase how certain pickups can (or can not) push an amp. Everything sounds practically the same to me through these modelling amps.
                        I liked the killertonetexas clips myself. Would have like them to showcase some guitar volume cleanup though. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited by El Supremo; 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised how much clean I play with the BW, it's lovely at that. Didn't expect that from a black metal pickup.

Comment

I've used the Pearly Gates in the neck for D E C A D E S
                            What an unusual tuning

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thought I'd share so we have as much here as possible for everyone.

Right now I'm leaning towards Black Winters in my Les Paul. Not 100% on it yet, but we'll see.

Saw this clip before. Nice playing, but I wish people would just use a normal amp (like a JCM800) without any effects to really showcase how certain pickups can (or can not) push an amp. Everything sounds practically the same to me through these moddeling amps.
                              I liked the killertonetexas clips myself. Would have like them to showcase some guitar volume cleanup though. Ah well, beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
                                Yeah, I know what you mean. Thought I'd share so we have as much here as possible for everyone.

Right now I'm leaning towards Black Winters in my Les Paul. Not 100% on it yet, but we'll see.
                                Thinking about ordering a set this week for my Les Paul Custom myself. I´ve got the Suhr Aldrich set in there currently which are totally awesome and defnite keepers, but I´m in metal mode now and the Aldrich set retains it´s vintagey paffy vibe, even when boosted with a Micro Amp + and Distortion + (which actually is a good thing of course).

Looking for tight bass, more output, good clean up, string to string definition when chording under gain and a cutting lead sound that doesn't get mushy on the low strings past the 12th fret (especially when on the neck pickup). All that whilst having a more brutal yet clear vibe to it.

The Winters seem the way to go judging by the reviews, recommendations and what clips are out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X