banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by RustInPeace View Post
    Got the BW 7's installed last night (pics soon!). Have only had time to play through my hd500x with headphones but heres what I think so far:

- The 6/6/6 eq is correct.
    - The bridge is slightly less aggressive than I thought it would be, but I will be messing with the pickup heights.
    - The neck does cleans very well, and there is no noticeable volume loss when split. very cool.
    - Not sure about lead tones yet. I prefer a neck pickup thats scooped with lots of bass (EMG het set neck is my fav neck pup), I think I may prefer the sentient over this.
    Cool! How would you compare the bridge against the Nazgul you had in there in terms of EQ, compression and output?

Comment

The nazguls output is insane. Really hard to find the sweet spot between saturation and aggression. The nazguls midrange is what I didnt like about it. There is a hard spike in the high mids (think djenty mids) that helps to add clarity amongst the insane gain that I just didnt like. The naz really has exceptional pick attack though. Id say the nazgul sounds exactly like a BK aftermath, but with more gain.

I noticed something funny when removing the old pups.. the red and black wires were flipped around? The red was the lead hot to the pup selector and the black and white were together for the split... is this parallel?

Comment

Interesting, as the Nazgul only has 1 ceramic (albeit oversized) and a cooler wind. According to the posted mV data it even has less output in that department. Must be something about that mid spike pushing the amp more I guess.
        How would you compare these 2 pickups for more classic metal and rock sounds? I found the the BW does a pretty good modern Maiden tone with a TS in front of a Marshall (bit more compressed though).

Your wiring is not parallel btw. Just inverted the phase for both pickups (so they're actually in phase again).

Comment

I havent had much time with the BW's, but I felt like the Naz was a 1 trick pony because of its gain. The sentient on the other hand, split beautifully and I could get some sick SRV style single coil neck tones from it.

Comment

I havent had much time with the BW's, but I felt like the Naz was a 1 trick pony because of its gain. The sentient on the other hand, split beautifully and I could get some sick SRV style single coil neck tones from it.
            I would have to concur. Except I might not state that the output was so insane, but the Nazgul really sounds really aggressive to me all the time. I would not use a nazgul for anything softer than classic Metallica. It feels like much more of a one trick pony to me, albeit it is an excellent trick.

To me the nazgul felt less dry and more lower mid focused than a BKP Aftermath. Though, both would be good for the same sorts of things.

Comment

I take back what I said about the output of these. I had my pod input set to "pad" which cuts the input.

Comment

i was thinking the same and got myself a pegasus instead. i thought that pegasus is a better fit, if note separation and dynamic range was required. have to say its just that, got good amount of mids (lows and highs) without any spikes anywhere, and retains very warm highs. cleans are pristine both split and series (no drastic volume drops when split), and with heavy gain it retains moderate to abundant clarity. best of all i find it very usable with overdriven sounds and not bark too much like most 'distortion' pickups.

Comment

I take back what I said about the output of these. I had my pod input set to "pad" which cuts the input.
                  Classy looking combo you got there. So how are you liking the BW set at full force now?

Comment

Killer!

Comment

Im liking them so far! I need to do a live test still, probably on Friday through my 5153.

Comment

I'm going to hear mine in a band situation for the first time tomorrow night.
                        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                          So, got my Black Winter set today.
                          Hey, El Supremo.

Did you get regular or trembucker spacing for the bridge? I've heard you should get a trembucker for newer LPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                            I'm going to hear mine in a band situation for the first time tomorrow night.
                            Cool! Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by LazNovak View Post
                              Hey, El Supremo.

Did you get regular or trembucker spacing for the bridge? I've heard you should get a trembucker for newer LPs.
                              Hey there, I've got the regular spacing, but my Custom is an '82. On the other hand, my SG is a 2013 model and it has regular spaced WLHs in it, wich allign properly. Then again, my 1999 Flying V has got an F-spaced Super Distortion in it. All have the standard Nashville TOM bridge system, so it's probably about the bridge's installment angle (which can vary from guitar to guitar).
                              Sorry for the confusion, but your best bet will be to measure the distances yourself (the dimensions for the BWs are on the product page).

Anyway, the spacing thing is mostly cosmetic (although you should be certain the pickup fits through the mounting ring of course). Certainly with a powerful magnetic field like the Black Winter has, you should be golden either way.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll look into it.

How are you liking the Black Winters in the LP?

Comment

Working...
                                X