Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best P.A.F re-pros for Flying V

Hey,

Looking to get some P.A.F style pups for my USA Gibbo V (67/68 re-issue as they are called) In my Les Pauls I use BKP Mules and Gibson 57s what would you suggest for the V?

The guitar's quite dark sounding

Play hard rock and classic metal played through a high gain amp.

Re: Best P.A.F re-pros for Flying V

Antiquities!

Comment

Antiquities with roughcast A5 magnets, high gain amp will do the rest

Comment

Originally posted by dsguitar1 View Post
        The guitar's quite dark sounding.
        Not Ants. They have degaussed A2's which have even less treble than a fully-charged A2 (which doesn't have much). Not a good fit for a dark guitar. For playing metal thru a high gain amp, unpotted PU's probably aren't the best choice either.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Antiquities JB/Jazz set...
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
            Antiquities JB/Jazz set...

For 'PAF repros'? That's the best you could come up with?
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Not exactly PAF-ish, but you could always give the Jazz set a try.
              Originally posted by Myaccount876
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                For 'PAF repros'? That's the best you could come up with?
                Still better than anything he has now.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

You either want a set of Seths, 59's, or the new Whole Lotta Humbucker set.

59's are the cheapest but many people like them when used in the right guitar and application.

Seths and the WLH are the more expensive options but are great pups each with their own take on the PAF sound.

The JB/Jazz set could be considered a modded PAF set and what many players wanted long ago for a bit more power. This set strays from the traditional PAF sound and pushes it further.

Now outside of Duncan my choice of a PAF type pup is the Wilde pickups L90 model. Looks wise it's not even close to the PAF but sound wise it's better than any PAF i've heard. The clarity and dynamics are just stunning. Great highs with single coil clarity and a strong deep low end.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                    Not Ants. They have degaussed A2's which have even less treble than a fully-charged A2 (which doesn't have much). Not a good fit for a dark guitar. For playing metal thru a high gain amp, unpotted PU's probably aren't the best choice either.
                    Agreed, the stock degassed A2's are really for keeping them in vintage territory, but it's widely established on this forum that changing out the magnets to an A5, Rouchcast A5 or UOA5 (my personal favorite) is to shift the output of the pickup into higher gear while still keeping those precious hollowed out, complex mids that not even a 59 can offer. The magnets will add more headroom and brightness over any weakened A2 and the windings will still provide the PAF voice you desire.

I will say that they are prone to squealing if you take the nickel cover off and put in on again without adding some electrical tape over the slug coils or use a lil' bit of superglue. I've done so and have no had a problem with them with reasonably high gain using my own Les Paul with Ants through Angry Charlie into my YBA-1.
                    Last edited by TruSlice; 08-27-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has suggested Pearly Gates. Vintage, but with bite.
                      1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Best PAF repro.....well the most accurate in terms of looks, metallurgy and wind characteristics bar none is Throbak.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                          Best PAF repro.....well the most accurate in terms of looks, metallurgy and wind characteristics bar none is Throbak.
                          This... very much this.

Weird thread though... guy asks for PAF repro and gets JB's, Jazz's and L90's as suggestions...
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                            This... very much this.

Weird thread though... guy asks for PAF repro and gets JB's, Jazz's and L90's as suggestions...
                            And he's trying to cure his guitar's inherent darkness.
                            Originally posted by Myaccount876
                            Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                              And he's trying to cure his guitar's inherent darkness.
                              PAF's are not bright? This is news to me... Also you cant add whats not there. Even if the pickup is bright if the guitar isnt feeding it anything your urinating into the wind.

Unless the guitar has 330k pots which gibson is famous for using.
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X