Best P.A.F re-pros for Flying V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best P.A.F re-pros for Flying V

My vote goes with the WLH set - can't see how you could go wrong with those.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by synzzzer View Post
      I'm surprised no one has suggested Pearly Gates. Vintage, but with bite.
      The bridge has bite, but the neck is pretty warm and not an ideal choice for a dark guitar. You don't have to look far to find better PAFs than PG's (like Seth's, WLH's, Bonamassa's, BB's, Custom Buckers, etc).
      Last edited by blueman335; 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
        Weird thread though... guy asks for PAF repro and gets JB's, Jazz's and L90's as suggestions...
        That's what I'm thinking. There's no shortage of good PAF's being made these days. Plenty to choose from.
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The DiMarzio 36th set is a very bright PAF set.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            Best PAF repro.....well the most accurate in terms of looks, metallurgy and wind characteristics bar none is Throbak.
            Accurate, yes... however, I cannot be convinced they are worth the price.
            Last edited by Ayrton; 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

This... very much this.

Weird thread though... guy asks for PAF repro and gets JB's, Jazz's and L90's as suggestions...
              He also said PAF style. Wether or not that includes both looks and sounds he didn't specify but I listed him plenty of choices.
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                He also said PAF style. Wether or not that includes both looks and sounds he didn't specify but I listed him plenty of choices.
                We will just have to agree to disagree that the L90 is a paf style pickup by any stretch to me they are much more hi fi sounding than any PAF and are a pretty different formula....

As a side note i just said it was weird dont be so defensive.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by dsguitar1 View Post
                  Hey,

Looking to get some P.A.F style pups for my USA Gibbo V (67/68 re-issue as they are called) In my Les Pauls I use BKP Mules and Gibson 57s what would you suggest for the V?

The guitar's quite dark sounding

Play hard rock and classic metal played through a high gain amp.
                  Rather than limiting your choices to "P.A.F. style", why not try to balance the guitar with the amp? Which amp are you playing through? One person's high gain is another's mild overdrive.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                    Accurate, yes... however, I cannot be convinced they are worth the price.
                    You've tried them then?

Things like the throbak are not a 'worth the price' thing. You have to be doing it for tone and only tone, where they are going into a guitar where perfect PAF look is also essential.
                    Reissues of the various Gibson classics is what they are aimed at.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                      Rather than limiting your choices to "P.A.F. style", why not try to balance the guitar with the amp? Which amp are you playing through? One person's high gain is another's mild overdrive.
                      +1 to this
                      sigpic
                      Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                      JFG Flying V,
                      "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                      John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

We will just have to agree to disagree that the L90 is a paf style pickup by any stretch to me they are much more hi fi sounding than any PAF and are a pretty different formula....

As a side note i just said it was weird dont be so defensive.
                        Agree but I wasn't being defensive as much as replying to your statement.
                        Originally posted by KBliss
                        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                        Originally posted by trevorus
                        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                          You've tried them then?

Things like the throbak are not a 'worth the price' thing. You have to be doing it for tone and only tone, where they are going into a guitar where perfect PAF look is also essential.
                          Reissues of the various Gibson classics is what they are aimed at.
                          I have not tried them, and most likely never will get the chance. I do not doubt the quality or accuracy, but they could never sound so much better than say Antiquities to justify three times the price. Obviously there is a market for them, but I am not in it.
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            The bridge has bite, but the neck is pretty warm and not an ideal choice for a dark guitar. You don't have to look far to find better PAFs than PG's (like Seth's, WLH's, Bonamassa's, BB's, Custom Buckers, etc).
                            Well, "better" is extremely subjective. As far as Seymour Duncan PAF's go, I find the Pearly Gates "better" than the others. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong.

However, if the Original Poster wants a non-Seymour PAF pickup that is bright, go no further than the Schaller Golden 50. I was trying to stay within Seymour's offerings since this is his page.
                            1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                              I have not tried them, and most likely never will get the chance. I do not doubt the quality or accuracy, but they could never sound so much better than say Antiquities to justify three times the price. Obviously there is a market for them, but I am not in it.
                              Thats certainly true.....I've been building a few clones of 59 les pauls of late.....with all the right parts etc and they would be just in the ballpark for me. Especially as I'm in Aus and even duncans at retail are close to the price of a set of Throbaks.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post

Then there are those of us that don't feel 'limited' at all with PAF's, especially since there's so many to choose from.

Comment

Working...
                                X