Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best P.A.F re-pros for Flying V

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    Then there are those of us that don't feel 'limited' at all with PAF's, especially since there's so many to choose from.
    That's fine, but you aren't playing the styles he plays.

All I said was that he'd be better off making the guitar sound better with his amp. You can play anything with anything, but you have to have a clear tone coming out first.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Thats certainly true.....I've been building a few clones of 59 les pauls of late.....with all the right parts etc and they would be just in the ballpark for me. Especially as I'm in Aus and even duncans at retail are close to the price of a set of Throbaks.
      Bummer...
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I think we scared away the OP
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
          That's fine, but you aren't playing the styles he plays.
          A lot of the early 'hard rock and classic metal' was done with PAF's and P-90's. Based on what he said he has, and is looking for, it doesn't sound like he's wanting hot PU's in his guitars. Is it that difficult of a concept to grasp?
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            I think we scared away the OP
            Damn, it's happened again...maybe it was all the non-PAF suggestions.
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              A lot of the early 'hard rock and classic metal' was done with PAF's and P-90's. Based on what he said he has, and is looking for, it doesn't sound like he's wanting hot PU's in his guitars. Is it that difficult of a concept to grasp?
              I understand it just fine. You're the one that is absolutely clueless about heavier tones. (I left that out earlier to be polite but I'm done with that.) Thanks for not quoting the rest of my message about getting a clear tone, something that is critical with higher gain amps, something else you're clueless about.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                I understand it just fine. You're the one that is absolutely clueless about heavier tones. (I left that out earlier to be polite but I'm done with that.) Thanks for not quoting the rest of my message about getting a clear tone, something that is critical with higher gain amps, something else you're clueless about.

From someone who appears to be clueless about the OP is asking for...

Comment

BKP Riff Raffs should work fine with that V. Short magnet PAFs that handle heavy distortion very well in my SG.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                    Bummer...
                    Everything is massively expensive guitar wise in Australia. I was just looking at a shop near me and the list on a Fender Supersonic 22 amp was over $2000.
                    Thats partially why I've gone to making my own guitars.....not only is it a cool hobby, but I get a super cheap guitar out of it made to my specs at the end.

Comment

that bad boy needs either a BK Riff Raff or a pair of SD Pearly Gates (booth bridge model) these are the only pafs i think are suitable for a dark Flying V for playing from rock to metal

(i had a dark sounding V and i play from AC/DC to SODOM with an ol' powerfull peavey, so may i know what i'm talking about...)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                        Everything is massively expensive guitar wise in Australia. I was just looking at a shop near me and the list on a Fender Supersonic 22 amp was over $2000.
                        Thats partially why I've gone to making my own guitars.....not only is it a cool hobby, but I get a super cheap guitar out of it made to my specs at the end.
                        Yeah that sucks... I will trade you a set of Ants for a set of Throbaks.
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Dark guitar, PAF sound, what's wrong with a Seth neck and a pearly gates bridge? Uncovered of course with 500k pots. And before you judge the PGb please try it at volume with power tube distortion on a Marshall style amp. Ideally something like 7-8 on a non master volume (read: older) amp. It is righteous.

I haven't played it through too many fender amps but for a bridge humbucker it sounds close to a telecaster bridge pickup so I don't imagine it would sound bad through a fender amp exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

For a PAF-ish pickup for hard rock and classic metal I'd go all the way with the WCR Fillmores.
                            Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Working...
                            X