Forum pickup ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forum pickup ideas

Invader-Full Shred hybrid. According to the Tone Chart, I expect a pickup with extremely high amounts of bass and treble
    Eh.

Comment

WOW WOW WOW, how the hell did I miss that!?!?!?!?!?

Ok ok, let's recap. Up until now we've had:
      • A semi-hotish PAF
      • A kickass A8 parallel axis bridge bucker.
      • A Set of single coils that tap between a regular strat pu and a P90-in-a-strat-route
      • A set of really clear, half rail, half parallel axis buckers that were designed with the intention of splitting into fat SCs while being medium output buckers on the whole
        Add to that:
      • The P-Rails that is a bucker that splits into a P90
      • The Phat Cat that is a P90 into a bucker route
      • The Stag-Mag that is two single coils that make up a bucker

Right now I believe the poll for a route is once again going the way of the bucker.
      Now, this is only an idea and I'd like to see what you all think BUT...

If we're still not sated with the jack-of-all-trades idea, the only thing that we haven't really tried in a bucker route is the Tele/Bucker combo.

Let me say that again, like the P-Rails and like the Stag-Mag, we'd get a Tele bridge pickup that would be paired with another coil to make up a humbucker.
      Keep it in series and you get a semi-hot bucker, split it into the Tele coil and, well, you get all the twang you can get out of a pickup that ISN'T mounted on a Tele ashtray-style bridge. I bet the Duncan CS could even work their magic and make the second coil interesting enough to split into too.

So, the real question is, do we want another combo pickup or do we want something else that is totally unique? I'm game both ways.
      Just that I feel we've beaten the P90 horse to death and are now just refusing to bury it, but it might just be me.
      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Tele bridge and neck single coil on one humbucker baseplate: one really bright big single coil and one really dark sounding small coil.
        There you go;-)

Comment

I actually have a kind of sound I'm looking for that might be possible in a HB. No weird specs or anything.
          Harmonica like sustain. You can get the attack it to kind of bloom by rolling back the tone knob, but it preserves a really vibrant and metallic high end. With the tone rolled up, it becomes more percussive and tight for faster lead work and more picking dynamics.

When you roll the volume knob off, it cuts out some of the more aggressive midrange frequencies but keeps the high end there, so notes sparkle and chime more when they clean up. Chords would have a kind of bark and grunt to them but still shimmer in the highs a bit.

Not very hot or "bassy" at all, just enough to juice a vintage amp a bit, like maybe PG level but more midrange oriented and. Like THE pickup for volume swells.
          This would be kind of designed to complement warmer sounding amps and guitars for overdriven blues, fingerstyle picking and slide. It would love delay and chorus.

Think like the upper-mids of a JB but a more single coil like top end with a lower-mid scoop and moderate bass. That kind of old school Yardbirds/Zeppelin "trainwhistle" tone. Like a mutant version of what the WLH is kinda made out to be.

I guess that would be a telecaster pickup but... Sure actually. Beefed up hot tele tone in a humbucker size. Maybe even noiseless too.

Comment

Well, you start with what I feel would be a neck pickup I would gel with (I like a bit more "umph" and definition from my bridge PUs although a change of pace might be nice TBH) and then you get back to what I suggest. Perhaps what I originally suggested as the logical next step in our latest trend might actually have tonal merits to it as well...

I'm staring to warm up to the idea on a personal level now...
            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Let's just do a reorder of the OG Brobucker y'all. Everyone could get the forum bro discount on a mass order and we'll know ahead of time that it will not suck.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                Let's just do a reorder of the OG Brobucker y'all. Everyone could get the forum bro discount on a mass order and we'll know ahead of time that it will not suck.
                I could TOTALLY go for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                  I already said this on the other post and am not sure if it's been said before here. What about a stagmag type pickup that is two tele neck pickups? Both wound with 43 gauge plain enamel. 4 conductor for coil splitting for genuine tele neck tones and humbucker tones to. It could be called the Telemag or the Telebucker. What would be a kinda cool option also would be to mill out the middle of the chrome cover so the magnets are exposed and the coil is protected still. So it would add clarity and openness if that's what's desired and it would give it a Fillertron look... and it could be called "The buck neck-ed Telebucker"

This is what it could look like but obviously two together. It could be available with the covers milled or not milled depending on personal preference.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]60060[/ATTACH]
                  I love how this looks. What I would like is a tri-sonic style pickup set for a telecaster that looks like this. I realize that will probably never happen though
                  sigpic
                  Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

a transparent humbucker would be very cool

Comment

I dunno whether or not it'd be feasible, but how about a set of tapped PAF clones.

- Bridge would be say 9.50K #42 PE wire with degaussed a5 rod slightly mismatched but also having a 6.50K (even wound, mismatched ??? MJ should be the judge) tap.
                      - Neck (again #42 PE wire) I would prefer to be around 7.75K with a2's or a3's ... again possibly slightly mismatched coils but also having a 5.75K or 6.00K tap...

I have not tried my fuglies yet.

In fact, I don't need HB's. Still I'd go for the above set... That said, I need mini HB's... I have a 76 Deluxe that has serious squeling issues even though I have potted the covers.

A forum pickup, a mini HB set, would be my ideal, but I do not think that there'd be many people going for it.

B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by daveyisgreat View Post
                        Aw snap. A Phat Cat Stack would be killer -- P90 goodness in humbucker packaging, with no hum! I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
                        There was a thread about that, & it got forwarded to the company.. If a lot of folks really want that, then, maybe...

Comment

I don't know that we NEED any more designs.. There's already such a wealth of choice it's hard to decide, & that's w/o even considering custom.
                          - but if we're just throwing ideas around:

- I'd like to see a "two-single-coil" style humbucker, other than the Stag-Mag.
                          (Several other people expressed interest in something similar in the first few pages of this thread..)

- Specifically, I think it would be cool if both "singles" could remain hum-cancelling when split.
                          - Something like an STK-S4 and a Duckbucker, paired, all in a humbucker package.

- I think that would make a cool sounding humbucker, and give a bunch of options for splitting!

- - Now that's four coils, and could end up with 8 wires! - I'd be ok with skipping some of that; four conductor wiring would be enough; for thin and bright you just select the Duckbucker side..

OR: A completely different, interesting, funky, hot, MIDDLE position, noise-free "single." - For Strats, Nashville Teles, and every manner of HSH guitar.

- How many players use positions 1-2-4-5 but NEVER use "3" - middle-alone, because, even with pickups you like @ the neck and bridge, the same pickup sounds "lackluster" or "boring" in the middle?
                          - Very few players are known for spending much time on the middle pickup, with some notable exceptions; SRV, etc.

- I'm thinking A5 - threaded-adjustable "rods," - a little "scooped" sounding - and not Hot-Rails-like,-mid-dominant, but maybe with a PEAK somewhere in the midrange, kinda-like a JB, or a P-90?

- Something that would make players feel like the middle pickup was there to do more than just make the "2 & 4" positions!
                          (- Though, of course, it should still make good sounds in the 2 & 4 positions..)

(- and of course if it's sounds cool, maybe some folks would like it in the neck or bridge too..)
                          Last edited by matt239; 01-17-2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matt239 View Post

- How many players use positions 1-2-4-5 but NEVER use "3" - middle-alone, because, even with pickups you like @ the neck and bridge, the same pickup sounds "lackluster" or "boring" in the middle?
                            - Very few players are known for spending much time on the middle pickup, with some notable exceptions; SRV, etc.
                            I might be in the minority here but I actually love the middle position on it's own. It provides a brighter more open sound without being shrill like a lot of bridge strat pups. I'd say it rings out a lot more and is great for B.B king licks. I use it probably just as often as the 4,5 positions.
                            Originally posted by dg27
                            Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                              I LIKE this idea but what about paring it with a new super clear single coil like bucker in the neck such as was suggested here earlier. Love the idea of a new under-wound A4 neck bucker paired with a Brobucker as a forum only CS run!!
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I think a neck 'bucker to pair with the Brobucker would be awesome, but WHY does it have to be underwound and an A4? The Brobucker, from what I understand is wound to around 10k? That is a pretty juiced up PAF. An A4 humbucker wound to like....what....6k or whatever isn't going to balance well with it. It just makes me think of the Dragon1 neck humbucker I have. A4 magnet and mine measures at 7.4k. It sounds good, but I find myself wishing it had more juice for leads and balanced better with any of the pickups I have had in that guitar.

A better option if this route were taken would be to just wind a PAF to match the Brobucker. Anyway, just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X