• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forum pickup ideas

Blackouts for rickenbacker bass

Comment

A Phat Cat neck pickup with black plastic cover and Alnico 5 rods instead of screws/bar magnet.
      Last edited by SoundAt11; 01-07-2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Tomorrow I will put up the new poll for the rout ( hum, strat, Tele, P90). Do you think we've had enough good ideas for every rout that we could vote on the most popular, or should we have another thread once we know what we're putting it in? Remember, due to NAMM, we have plenty of time.

Comment

I already said this on the other post and am not sure if it's been said before here. What about a stagmag type pickup that is two tele neck pickups? Both wound with 43 gauge plain enamel. 4 conductor for coil splitting for genuine tele neck tones and humbucker tones to. It could be called the Telemag or the Telebucker. What would be a kinda cool option also would be to mill out the middle of the chrome cover so the magnets are exposed and the coil is protected still. So it would add clarity and openness if that's what's desired and it would give it a Fillertron look... and it could be called "The buck neck-ed Telebucker"

This is what it could look like but obviously two together. It could be available with the covers milled or not milled depending on personal preference.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	10093d1206689624t-removing-neck-pickup-metal-cover-wild-pu-005-jpg.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	5783802
          Last edited by firebirdguy72; 01-08-2015, 03:39 AM.
          Originally posted by dg27
          Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

+1 on firebirdguy72, that looks very cool!
            SJB

Comment

Here's an idea based on something I've noticed as a whole in the pickup marketplace...

A neck humbucker's wound to about a strat neck's output. I have always LOVED they clarity, high resonant peak, and big low end of strat neck pickups, but not so much the noise. Strat neck pickups are usually ~6.0K or so, yet even the lowest output PAF's only go down to the mid 7.0K's.

I have no idea why there's almost NO market for humbuckers with single coil output and no noise, yet there is a market for single coils with humbucker output that STILL have noise. It seems backwards to me.

I personally ordered a Jazz neck model from the custom shop that had one coil underwound to make the pickup read about 6.4K, and it is an incredible clean sound! I'm not saying that my exact pickup is what I'm suggesting, but I thing a nice, clean, neck humbucker model or two that has a single coil strat neck output would fill a huge hole in the pickup market.

Comment

Originally posted by MacBradley View Post
                Here's an idea based on something I've noticed as a whole in the pickup marketplace...

A neck humbucker's wound to about a strat neck's output. I have always LOVED they clarity, high resonant peak, and big low end of strat neck pickups, but not so much the noise. Strat neck pickups are usually ~6.0K or so, yet even the lowest output PAF's only go down to the mid 7.0K's.

I have no idea why there's almost NO market for humbuckers with single coil output and no noise, yet there is a market for single coils with humbucker output that STILL have noise. It seems backwards to me.

I personally ordered a Jazz neck model from the custom shop that had one coil underwound to make the pickup read about 6.4K, and it is an incredible clean sound! I'm not saying that my exact pickup is what I'm suggesting, but I thing a nice, clean, neck humbucker model or two that has a single coil strat neck output would fill a huge hole in the pickup market.
                Let me introduce you to Lollars Elrayo http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...bucker-pickups
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  Let me introduce you to Lollars Elrayo http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...bucker-pickups
                  I've seen those, but never played through one. Isn't that more in the TV Jones ballpark though? There's still a missing gap between that super underwound sound (which is wonderful in its own right) and PAF pickup outputs.

Comment

I just wound a set like that... 6.7k neck and 8.3 bridge with A4 magnets but unfortunately I don't really have a guitar to put em in yet so I don't know how they sound. I do like the idea of an under wound PAF like pickup in the 6k range. You don't see many in that range...
                    Last edited by firebirdguy72; 01-08-2015, 06:57 PM.
                    Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                      I just wound a set like that... 6.7k neck and 8.3 bridge with A4 magnets but unfortunately I don't really have a guitar to put em in yet so I don't know how they sound. I do like the idea of an under wound PAF like pickup in the 6k range. You don't see many in that range...
                      I would love to try those out myself! I love singles and humbuckers and I want to hear more pickups that meet in the middle of the two. End the pickup segregation!

Comment

A 6k, Alnico 4 neck humbucker based around the '59 might be pretty nice too.

Comment

The 59/Jazz neck hybrid.

Comment

firebirdguy72, MacBradly, and Soundat11 -
                            You all have my vote- great need for a humbucker neck like that, a little C.Shop Magic winding for maximum sparkle is a great idea.
                            I especially like the 6.7K and 8.3K WITH A4 MAGNETS is perfect!!! How do I vote 20 times?
                            SJBuffington

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
                              I especially like the 6.7K and 8.3K WITH A4 MAGNETS is perfect!!! How do I vote 20 times?

SJBuffington
                              To be fair it was LtKojak' s recipe he let me use... So credit is to him for being a nice fella and letting us in on his magic!
                              Last edited by firebirdguy72; 01-10-2015, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                                To be fair it was LtKojak' s recipe... So credit is to him for being a nice fella and letting us in on his magic!
                                I'd like to personally thank you for your kind words.

It's nice to see the outcome resulting of research and trial-and-error is being appreciated even before it's actually been tried!

Yours very truly,
                                Last edited by LtKojak; 01-10-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X