Forum pickup ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum pickup ideas

I would like a stacked Quarter Pound and a new Hot Rails style pickup, one that is not so muddy!

Or a redesigned Parallel Axis stack that is smaller, so that the pickup isn't as tall as the guitar is thick!
    Chapman Guitars, Seymour Duncan, Dunlop.

http://www.stormborn.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
      Am I the only one that talked about a p'up conceptually, a form-follows-function design without going crazy on specs, other than the two screw bobbins?

C'mon people; I KNOW several of you are more than capable to do this, so put that grey matter to good use and lay some good concepts on the table. A p'up or a set that everybody would wanna use and/or would wanna buy.

Pretty please...?
      Not when you still have people who want low output, or medium output, or high output, or even-higher output, or works great with an Ash Strat that's been through a minor housefire and a '67 Champ that was reconed by some guy somewhere that does recones, and R213 was replaced by a different value, and the caps were replaced with mylar, and the trem has a full titanium upgrade package.

When everyone can agree on an output level, then you can get into the shape/format.
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
        I'd love to see something for a Tele. I quite like the StraBro 90 idea for a Tele, with some cool wiring options to get traditional Tele and the hotter P90 tones.
        I posted in the other thread, I'd love a Tele set that is hotter than vintage but not Hot Rails hot but is splittable/tappable for vintage tones as well. Be that SSL-5 style, StraBro90 style, Stack Plus style or a matched BG1400 style, I'd be open to any of them.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think a definite hole in the lineup is humbucker sized p90s. In a lot of the threads about humbucker sized p90s I often see other brands recommended over Seymour, which tells me a lot of users want something different from the phat cats. I would be interested to see what most members idea of a "perfect p90" to be and put that in a humbucker route.

Comment

Originally posted by jimman View Post
            I think a definite hole in the lineup is humbucker sized p90s. In a lot of the threads about humbucker sized p90s I often see other brands recommended over Seymour, which tells me a lot of users want something different from the phat cats. I would be interested to see what most members idea of a "perfect p90" to be and put that in a humbucker route.
            Aw snap. A Phat Cat Stack would be killer -- P90 goodness in humbucker packaging, with no hum! I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Comment

I just want a DDJ with hex heads to look like the invader.
              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Guys, I have to chime in to drop my two cents.

I want to take this opportunity to make a pickup that is otherwise not thought off via the customshop. A hum-free phat cat? CS territory. A stacked whatever? CS Territory. We need to design a pickup that's universally usable (not for ALL, but more than a single pickup that fills the need of one dude). We have to think of a pickup that would fill the void of several players. What is it that we feel is missing in the lineup? For example, the stratbro90, the brobucker and fuglybucker were designed with just that in mind: a singlecoil sized p90, a hotter PAF but not a real hot pickup and a super articulated pickup was found in the fugly.

I'd suggest to go with a real single coil design in the humbucker footprint, to make it accessible for most players.

My idea; take a wide bobbin, almost as wide as the entire baseplate of the humbucker, and use two coils, stacked. In parallel, to make it hum cancelling. In series, to give it a p90-esque push. In single mode, just the top coil, a jazzmaster-ish vibe. Use 42 awg (maybe even thicker!) gauge wire, to get a low output pickup (not smoking blasting hot anyway!) for super clarity, chime and sparkle, when in series you'll get a power boost and added lows anyway. Use the polepieces from the quarter pound pickups.

I want a pickup that has the sparkle and chime of a jazzmaster, push and power of a p90, raunchiness of a tele plus the twang and the quack of a strat when used with another pickup. Add a gold Phat Cat cover to boot.

This way you can retrofit most humbucker equipped guitars, BUT with much more tones. AND you can stick it in the middle position of a les paul, SG or ES for real tonal versatility.

In other words: what they did with the Prails, we've gotta do with single coils now.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                  I just want a DDJ with hex heads to look like the invader.
                  take an invader and remove the two outer magnets. BAM. done. No forum pickup needed. Sorry bro.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                    take an invader and remove the two outer magnets. BAM. done. No forum pickup needed. Sorry bro.
                    Would be a thin ceramic instead of the phat ceramic... Though the detonater has the big cap screws with the thick mag...

But i agree its not a idea that needs to be a forum pickup
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

My idea; take a wide bobbin, almost as wide as the entire baseplate of the humbucker, and use two coils, stacked. In parallel, to make it hum cancelling. In series, to give it a p90-esque push. In single mode, just the top coil, a jazzmaster-ish vibe. Use 42 awg (maybe even thicker!) gauge wire, to get a low output pickup (not smoking blasting hot anyway!) for super clarity, chime and sparkle, when in series you'll get a power boost and added lows anyway. Use the polepieces from the quarter pound pickups.

I want a pickup that has the sparkle and chime of a jazzmaster, push and power of a p90, raunchiness of a tele plus the twang and the quack of a strat when used with another pickup. Add a gold Phat Cat cover to boot.
                      I kinda like the concept but I dont think its going to be so feasible. There just isnt enough space to get the wire needed for 2 coils in that area. The humbucker sized p90's all tend to be really tall trying to do this the little extra width you purpose isnt going to give enough room for 2 coils
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by daveyisgreat View Post
                        Aw snap. A Phat Cat Stack would be killer -- P90 goodness in humbucker packaging, with no hum! I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
                        Sounds good!
                        Chapman Guitars, Seymour Duncan, Dunlop.

http://www.stormborn.co.uk/

Comment

Blehhh... all this stupid spec talk is stupid.

Charlie Christian bucker

Tele-Bro 90

More Phat Cat options (hotter version or a cleaner version for the neck, maybe A3/A4 or something).

Comment

I want a humbucker where you split it and it gets LOUDER.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                              Would be a thin ceramic instead of the phat ceramic... Though the detonater has the big cap screws with the thick mag...

But i agree its not a idea that needs to be a forum pickup
                              nah... the DD is a double thick ceramic. the Custom is a thin one

Comment

Working...
                              X