Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

So, it isn't that they aren't available (they are) it is that they are a Custom Shop order, and therefore more expensive.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      So, it isn't that they aren't available (they are) it is that they are a Custom Shop order, and therefore more expensive.
      I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying in my original post .
      What I was getting at is why doesn't SD offer any Antiquity 59's since they are PAF correct as well as A2 PAF's and has been one of SD best selling pickup since they started selling them decades ago .
      You can get a Ant Jazz and Ant JB but you can't get an Ant 59 , which is right in the same ballpark ....
      Of course you can GET one , but it would be nice not to have to wait weeks to get a special order pickup that's just as popular as the others I mentioned above .
      I really believe an 59 Ant would sell just as good as the regular A2 Ants , Jazz Ants and JB Ants because of their popularity .
      So that's why I stated " why doesn't SD offer a Antiquity 59 set " .
      Last edited by JB6464; 12-17-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

i just did a quick search and the antiquity humbuckers and antiquity jb/jazz arent that far off from the cs price of $150 each.

im guessing an unpotted 59 set with uoa5 magnets would get you close to where you wanna be if not nail it. i run an antiquity set with a3 neck/a2 bridge in my lp and it sounds terrific

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
          I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying in my original post .
          What I was getting at is why doesn't SD offer any Antiquity 59's since they are PAF correct as well as A2 PAF's and has been one of SD best selling pickup since they started selling them decades ago .
          You can get a Ant Jazz and Ant JB but you can't get an Ant 59 , which is right in the same ballpark ....
          Of course you can GET one , but it would be nice not to have to wait weeks to get a special order pickup that's just as popular as the others I mentioned above .
          I really believe an 59 Ant would sell just as good as the regular A2 Ants , Jazz Ants and JB Ants because of their popularity .
          So that's why I stated " why doesn't SD offer a Antiquity 59 set " .

The Duncan 59 model is NOT a “PAF correct” humbucker.

Sounds like you are having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
            The Duncan 59 model is NOT a “PAF correct” humbucker.

Sounds like you are having a hard time seeing the forest for the trees.
            Maybe period correct was wrong word I should of used , but what I meant was there was original PAF pickups with A5 mags .
            So per SD website , " It’s designed in the spirit of the original P.A.F. humbuckers of the 1950s " .
            Maybe your having a hard time seeing all the trees in the forest .
            Last edited by JB6464; 12-17-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

" It’s designed in the spirit of the original P.A.F. humbuckers of the 1950s "
              That's the part you overlooked: Seymour's '59s are NOT a copy or clone; are an INTERPRETATION of the specific set used as base for the design (a '59 'burst owned by Jeff Beck). in reality, in original PAFs' been found A2s and A3s, being the overwhelming majority used A4 magnets. A5s were used in Early Pat# and T-Tops, although you'll find many short A2s in those p'ups as well. So, no A5s were found/used in original, stock, untouched '50s P.A.F.s.

You don't even need to take my word for it, you can read it for yourself here:

A MUST read, if you ask me.

Anyway, you could look for a second-hand 25th Ann. Seth Lover set. That's the set wound and built closest to the ones in JB's '59 'burst.

Also, the Co. offering an Antiquity '59 set? Forget it. It's never, ever going to happen. Wanna one, gotta go the CS route or nothing. Like it or not, that's the reality of things as they actually are.

/Peter
              Last edited by Discharged; 12-19-2019, 01:52 PM.
              Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
              Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Now, that's true. And interesting because it begs the question:

what pickup by SD is a paf copy?

Pearly? no.
                Jazz? Hell no.
                Seth? no.
                59? no.
                Saturday Night? no.
                Whole lotta humbucker? no.

But: why? What makes them different from a PAF.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  what pickup by SD is a paf copy?
                  None.

/Peter
                  Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                    None.

/Peter
                    I get what your saying about the 59 not being 50's correct with an A5 mag , but it still doesn't make sense that SD would offer a Ant Jazz and Ant JB and they are far from anything correct .
                    I'll bet SD sells a lot more 59's then those two on a regular basis , but you can't get an Ant 59 without waiting for a special order request .
                    Last edited by JB6464; 12-18-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I get what your saying about the 59 not being 50's correct with an A5 mag , but it still doesn't make sense that SD would offer a Ant Jazz and Ant JB and they are far from anything correct .
                      I'll bet SD sells a lot more 59's then those two on a regular basis , but you can't get an Ant 59 without waiting for a special order request .
                      the jb/jazz are legacy pups for Seymour Duncan. The antiquity versions resemble the originals a bit more closely than the newer counterparts.

@discharged: what makes them different? Especially the Seth and 59 confuse me.

butyrate bobbins? Check.
                      Nickel silver baseplate? Check.
                      42 awg plain enamel wire? Check.

Leesona winding machine? Check.

Perhaps only the winding pattern? Alnico V instead of III or IV?

Comment

So even the Seth Antiquity with the A2 that SD sells is not correct either......
                        That's the thing: correct, is not. Good? It's excellent. Actually, NOBODY offers two identical p'ups and promotes it as "period correct" set. Because, although being "correct", it wouldn't be "good", if you ask me. A neck p'up and a bridge p'up should be different. That's the best solution... it's just not "correct" or "Period correct".

And even if you give six Franklins in a 100% "correct" set, like the Throbak, Re-Winds or other boutique winders offer, it's no guarantee whatsoever that it'll be the arguably "best" for that specific instrument.

Having given the choice of getting a "set" or two identical p'ups just because it's "correct", I'll choose the set any time of the day and twice of sundays.

To close the argument: I'm CURRENTLY using an A3n/A2b-modded, nickel-covered, '59 set on my ES-339. It provides the "right" inherent tone-footprint for the Smooth Jazz project band I play with. I could've used a myriad of other much more expensive p'ups, but my "lowly", modded '59s give a run for their money to other p'ups costing at least three times as much, and then some.

/Peter
                        Last edited by Discharged; 12-18-2019, 07:48 AM.
                        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                          the jb/jazz are legacy pups for Seymour Duncan. The antiquity versions resemble the originals a bit more closely than the newer counterparts.

@discharged: what makes them different? Especially the Seth and 59 confuse me.

butyrate bobbins? Check.
                          Nickel silver baseplate? Check.
                          42 awg plain enamel wire? Check.

Leesona winding machine? Check.

Perhaps only the winding pattern? Alnico V instead of III or IV?
                          orpheo, there are a myriad of details in the construction and assembly that differentiate Duncans from original P.A.F.s. For starters there are several butyrate bobbins on the market, but AFAIK, only the custom-made Throbaks have the same measures and design of the core like the originals. The material of what the bobbin is made is the least of your problems when aiming for "authenticity".

Get the Mario Milan and James Rafferty book intitled "The Gibson "P.A.F." Humbucking Pickup: From Myth to Reality". You'll learn a whole lot, I guarantee it.

In my case, I've never felt the need to go "vintage crazy" for anything. As long as the guitar plays well, what I get paid for is to play the right notes at the right time with the right intent. And when you're able to do that, IME, is very rare to be questioned about your tone, although when you also care for that too, just like icing on the cake, might become the difference between you and another player just as good as yourself to get the first call when live and/or studio gigs are at stake

/Peter
                          Last edited by Discharged; 12-19-2019, 03:05 AM. Reason: grammar
                          Kolding, Denmark

Comment

In answer to the OP, looks like someone already had a set made (note the A2 neck/A3 bridge):

This is a set of Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers with some great looking aged nickel covers. If you're looking for that '50s accurate PAF style of tone - you can't go wrong with the Duncan '59. This is a pickup with tons of old-school tonal character, but with a brighter top end, and a more compressed sound. Neck Pickup:

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '59 Aged Humbucker Pickup Set

This is a set of Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers with some great looking aged nickel covers. If you're looking for that '50s accurate PAF style of tone - you can't go wrong with the Duncan '59. This is a pickup with tons of old-school tonal character, but with a brighter top end, and a more compressed sound. Neck Pickup: Alnico II, 7.7k Bridge Pickup: Alnico III, 8.1k

Comment

That's the part you overlooked: Seymour's '59s are NOT a copy or clone; are an INTERPRETATION of the specific set used as base for the design (Billy Gibbon's '59 'burst).
                              the pearly gates is Billy Gibbons '59 burst!!! NOT the 59 set.
                              the 59 is suppossed to be Jeff Becks 59 Lespaul but with an A5 instead of an A2
                              Source:
                              Last edited by ToneFiddler; 12-19-2019, 05:06 AM. Reason: A5->A2

Comment

In my case, I've never felt the need to go "vintage crazy" for anything. As long as the guitar plays well, what I get paid for is to play the right notes at the right time with the right intent. And when you're able to do that, IME, is very rare to be questioned about your tone, although when you also care for that too, just like icing on the cake, might become the difference between you and another player just as good as yourself to get the first call when live and/or studio gigs are at stake

/Peter
                                that's quite a catchy phrase and i read it before.
                                Yes wait a Minute! google brought up this old banned user:
                                Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                                Amen to that!

I've recently recorded an entire project with a € 200,00 guitar. The most obvious detail, which Is often overlooked, is that your job as a musician is first and foremost to play the right notes at the right time. If you can do that, the tone you use seldom Is matter of discussion.

HTH,
                                source:

what a coincidence!!!
                                Last edited by ToneFiddler; 12-19-2019, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X