Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    In answer to the OP, looks like someone already had a set made (note the A2 neck/A3 bridge):

This is a set of Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers with some great looking aged nickel covers. If you're looking for that '50s accurate PAF style of tone - you can't go wrong with the Duncan '59. This is a pickup with tons of old-school tonal character, but with a brighter top end, and a more compressed sound. Neck Pickup:

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '59 Aged Humbucker Pickup Set

This is a set of Seymour Duncan '59 humbuckers with some great looking aged nickel covers. If you're looking for that '50s accurate PAF style of tone - you can't go wrong with the Duncan '59. This is a pickup with tons of old-school tonal character, but with a brighter top end, and a more compressed sound. Neck Pickup: Alnico II, 7.7k Bridge Pickup: Alnico III, 8.1k
    Music Zoo offers an interesting set of custom 59's , they don't mention if they are unpotted or if the magnets been degaussed or not , just aged .
    Makes me wonder with the A2 in the neck , just how much different would it sound than the regular A2 Ants that are available .
    Also as I understand it an A3 is a weaker magnet than a A2 , why would they request that in the bridge .
    Last edited by JB6464; 12-19-2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
      the pearly gates is Billy Gibbons '59 burst!!! NOT the 59 set.
      the 59 is suppossed to be Jeff Becks 59 Lespaul but with an A5 instead of an A2
      Source:
      https://www.seymourduncan.com/vintage
      That's right. It indeed was one of Jeff Beck's 'bursts p'ups what Seymour used as model for the '59s. I stand corrected!

In my defense, Billy Gibbons owns more than one '59 'burst; Pearly Gates was his 3rd or 4th, IIRC. That's why I didn't give it a second thought. My bad.

/Peter
      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

what a coincidence!!!
        Not a coincidence.

That's a common phrase used by agents, managers and contractors talking to wannabe studio musicians in the NY area.

/Peter
        Last edited by Discharged; 12-19-2019, 09:49 AM.
        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
            Not a coincidence.

That's a common phrase used by agents, managers and contractors talking to wannabe studio musicians in the NY area.

/Peter
            even better!
            i think you guys should hook up then.
            i believe in soulmates!
            italy and denmark are not that far apart.

back on topic:
            i think the duncan company could sell more authentic PAF clone Pickups.
            the current paf styles types deliver a great variety of the paf theme.
            that said: reading boutique makers pages i always think i am missing out:
            kleinpickups and throbak with their said specially formulated magnets,
            „like the originals“,
            most authentic bla bla
            ..just gives me GAS.
            i think duncan could do the same at a much better price point...
            the tone differences might not be so huge and you might get very close with stock materials.
            but it still makes me want to try the boutique stuff because maybe i am missing out.

Comment

Why does'nt SD offer a Antiquity 59 set

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
              Music Zoo offers an interesting set of custom 59's , they don't mention if they are unpotted or if the magnets been degaussed or not , just aged .
              Makes me wonder with the A2 in the neck , just how much different would it sound than the regular A2 Ants that are available .
              Also as I understand it an A3 is a weaker magnet than a A2 , why would they request that in the bridge .
              I would expect they are potted as that is the base recipe of the 59 set. Mags could be degaussed as that is the Dun-aged recipe for antiquity magnets, but it’s not guaranteed. Doesn’t need to be degaussed to sound good anyway. Just switching to A2/A3 is enough to sweeten certain pickups in a vintage direction.

The lower wind coil with the A2 as a neck against a higher wind coil with an A3 in the bridge I think would balance very nicely. It would be a distinct sound, a less common variant of Gibson/PAF type sounds, but in the right guitar with the right hardware and amp would be fantastic and right in the wheelhouse of all the famous Gibson Les Paul / ES / humbucker sounds you can think of.

Duncan has a 21-day guarantee (corrected, per Jeremy), so there’s little risk to trying them.
              Last edited by beaubrummels; 12-21-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

duncan has a 21 day exchange on production pups, not sure exactly what these special 59's are but they sure aren't normal production. the store may honor the 21 day thing though

Comment

marketing is a real thing, they want you to believe you are missing out and give them big money. for significantly less than a throbak, the duncan custom shop will make you almost anything you want

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                    ...but AFAIK, only the custom-made Throbaks have the same measures and design of the core like the originals.
                    FWIW I was very aware of that bobbin project and it’s loosely my conclusion that they replicated a time-shrunken bobbin, not the geometry of a PAF bobbin as it came off the mold in the 1950s. And to wind a coil on that altered shape is akin to rewinding a PAF bobbin, applying fresh tension to the altered geometry.

There are some statements I’m willing to make as fact when I’ve experienced the research, this one is only my hypothesis based on the details that were shared with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                      Despite popular belief, magnets do not degauss to any significant degree (at least in terms of guitar pickups).
                      Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                      I'm glad someone is mentioning this. Alnico magnets take eons to degauss to any notable degree on their own. External factors can cause premature degaussing, of course, but a 40 year-old pickup's magnet today, if unadulterated, will have 99.999% of the charge it left the factory with.
                      Bill Lawrence used to say the same thing. As with most things the truth lies somewhere in between. According to the books, if the size ratios of the Alnico magnetic circuit are right, it is extremely stable. So this is like saying something is a low calorie snack, but then you look closer and it’s “per serving” and then they say a serving size is a few small bites.

We have to look comprehensively at the aggregate view. Regardless of the science on raw magnets, old pickups, when tested, have lost some of their strength. So that is to say, have ALL of them been stored next to a speaker or amp transformer, or soldering gun transformer? Have all of them experienced some form of temperature or shock trauma?

It is far more rare, in my (and other pickup makers experience, like Seymour) to find a vintage pickup that is at full strength, and doesn’t get stronger after a recharge, than it is to find that these old pickups are degaussed, and do come up when recharged. So that’s a data set that bypasses academic knowledge, and has to be considered.

On the subject overall, yeah I think they should release Antiquity 59s. They’re old enough and people seem to like the old ones, and I’m pretty sure the early ones would have been on butyrate just the same as the JBs.

Comment

This is why so many of us man-crush Frank

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                          On the subject overall, yeah I think they should release Antiquity 59s.
                          I wouldn't even have to have them "aged", just period correct parts.

Frank, considering no magnet manufacture or guitar maker cared so much about that stuff then, do you think the alnico formula used during that time may have some effect on the gauss?
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

italy and denmark are not that far apart.
                            Only a thousand miles and a country in between...
                            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                              do you think the alnico formula used during that time may have some effect on the gauss?
                              Not the formula but the annealing process... at that time, every poured batch was different.

Thomas & Skinner, then Gibson's biggest magnet supplier, made the magnets in between providing the Military Industrial Complex, which still to this day is its main client.

/Peter
                              Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                                On the subject overall, yeah I think they should release Antiquity 59s. They’re old enough and people seem to like the old ones, and I’m pretty sure the early ones would have been on butyrate just the same as the JBs.
                                Yes they are/were. At least it's the case with the handful of "Seymourized" SH1's that I've owned until now...

Seymour had already modified the design of P.A.F. bobbins, though: as one of my vintage "Seymourized" has sadly ended with an open coil, I've pulled off the wire and have found a core with what we call in French "redans", like in the wall of this picture:

The goal was obviously to increase the structural rigidity of the bobbin, in order to prevent bending. IOW, Seymour did know his stuff from day one. :-)

And yes, these old models sound extremely good IMHO, although fragile and sometimes prone to squeal. Mine include dark blueish RC AlNiCo bars, which can't be anything else than A5 according to measurements with our lab gear (they don't rise much the inductance but are still hefty charged so they must be A5)... but they contribute to thick mids, as if they were made from another AlNiCo alloy.

And they encapsulate some of the tone of the early 80's.

So, +1 for Antiquity 59's, if they sound as good. :-)
                                Last edited by freefrog; 12-21-2019, 05:06 AM.
                                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
                                X