Best Pick up for EVH tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Pick up for EVH tone?

Has anyone ever tried a genesis mr. brownie pickup? There is minimal info out there. I would love to here some sound clips if they exsist. Please post them if they do.

Comment

Originally posted by madaxeman
      Has anyone ever tried a genesis mr. brownie pickup? There is minimal info out there. I would love to here some sound clips if they exsist. Please post them if they do.
      Did you read the reviews? Everyone gave it thumbs up!
      When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Yes the reviews sound great. But I would still love to hear one.

Comment

Originally posted by madaxeman
          Yes the reviews sound great. But I would still love to hear one.
          Take a chance my brother , Take a chance

Comment

The EVH nails it flat out and hands down.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by tonebucket
              I think I believe tonni Iommi anyday especally as tonni says I remmeber a spotty teenager by the name of eddie van halen wanting to buy one of my old amps.

This reminds me of when America wouldn't let concorde in as it's to loud.
              The concorde was no louder than a 707 and america still would'nt let it in and eventually only to new york????

( I think america should of band 707 from flying then??????)
              Why not band EddIe Van Halen he was just as loud and from europe to did you know??????

Terry and Ed grew up as childhood friends and were best buds from 10 til 35 or so. He may be the only dude who knows exactly what is what regarding this stuff cause he was there. If you don't know ( I am pretty sure you don't) who Terry is or his connection to Ed then I guess Tony is as good as Marcia Brady as far as factual info goes regarding Ed in his early days.
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by Boleslaw Gers 666
                Ed's tone is tough. He made his guitar and messed with his amp at the beginning, so nothing will get you quite there. You should read the Van halen issue of Guitar World (I think). It has some crazy facts about his early setup.

The amp was a bone stock 67 SL. He was putting BS in the public, I can only imagine how many people toasted their amps variac'd to 140 volts. I bet he was laughing the whole time... Pretty funny stuff.
                ]
                FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  The amp was a bone stock 67 SL.
                  From all the experiments i've done over the years, i agree with that 100%.
                  Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Updated Van Halen clips, originals and a few others.....check out my new VH Store also. Enjoy!

Comment

Did EVH ever use a stacked single coil? Did ever play an HSS? Kramer Ibanez or whatever?

Does he do his own paint on his guitars? Or does he let/make someone else do it?
                    Last edited by Guitar Toad; 04-04-2005, 12:39 PM.
                    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                    -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I saw a pic of his rig in a mag and it seems like eddie used an mxr 10 band eq / similar.

Eddie used KT88's in the amp as these were what came with it.

Comment

custom custom does pretty good
                        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
                        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
                        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
                        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
                        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
                        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
                        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                          The amp was a bone stock 67 SL. He was putting BS in the public, I can only imagine how many people toasted their amps variac'd to 140 volts. I bet he was laughing the whole time... Pretty funny stuff.

It actually wasn't "bone" stock but for the most part it was close. Cerrum (a tech that looked at Ed's amp) took readings of all the major components of the amp and found some interesting findings. One was a power resistor in the pwr section that would act as a load of some type giving the amp the ability to saturate at lower volumes. And there were some other components that was abnormal to a stock 67 plexi 12000 series serial number of that era.

Gear pics
                          Amps
                          Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
                          Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
                          High Gain #1
                          High Gain #2

Comment

Originally posted by BrentSP
                            It actually wasn't "bone" stock but for the most part it was close. Cerrum (a tech that looked at Ed's amp) took readings of all the major components of the amp and found some interesting findings. One was a power resistor in the pwr section that would act as a load of some type giving the amp the ability to saturate at lower volumes. And there were some other components that was abnormal to a stock 67 plexi 12000 series serial number of that era.

To back up my statement........heres the link.

Gear pics
                            Amps
                            Guitars

Bogner Shiva EL34
                            Shiva demo

Bogner Uberschall
                            High Gain #1
                            High Gain #2

Comment

If you want the 1984 tone, get a keyboard. As far as I'm concerned, 1984 was their weakest (except maybe DD) album for guitar playing. Hot For Teacher and Panama were both cool songs, but George Lynch showed Eddie up on his version of Panama on the VH tribute album. Not to say that Lynch is a better guitarist. 99 times out of 100 Eddie would do better, it's just that 1984 was his way of showing DLR and the rest of the world that he could put out a successful album with keyboarding. DLR never liked the idea, and it was probably Eddie's way of saying I'm the one in charge and if you don't like it you can leave. We all know what the result was.

If you really want to exactly copy Eddies guitar sound, you have to figure out which guitar he was playing on that particular song. Part of the reason for telling so many different stories (along with him not wanting people to copy him) was that he used a different guitar on almost every song, and there's no way he could remember what pickup was in each guitar. I mean, the man had hundreds of guitars that he had modded in his own way. I'm sure all those pickups are good choices, because he probably used them in at least one of his guitars. You also have to remember he's a big fan of Korina which he used on many occasions, and that can make a BIG difference.

But then you have to consider what GearJoneser said, and he's exactly right. Ted Nugent played through Eddies equipment exactly like it was set up to go on stage. Ted is a GREAT guitarist, and he didn't sound like Eddie. You have to have the chops, the feeling, and everything else to pull off an exact copy. There are a few that can, but most are satisfied with sounding pretty close. Just get you a 59, a JB, or a similar pickup. You'll get close, especially after you throw the effects in with it.

Remember, he used a Floyd Rose live, but never used it in the studio because he thought it was too bright (probably so). That's another factor you should consider.

Whatever you decide, just have fun!!! That was one of the biggest parts of his playing. That's all he wanted to do is play guitar. I'm just glad he traded instruments with Alex!
                              It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonMIA
                                If you want the 1984 tone, get a keyboard. As far as I'm concerned, 1984 was their weakest (except maybe DD) album for guitar playing. Hot For Teacher and Panama were both cool songs, but George Lynch showed Eddie up on his version of Panama on the VH tribute album. Not to say that Lynch is a better guitarist. 99 times out of 100 Eddie would do better, it's just that 1984 was his way of showing DLR and the rest of the world that he could put out a successful album with keyboarding. DLR never liked the idea, and it was probably Eddie's way of saying I'm the one in charge and if you don't like it you can leave. We all know what the result was.

If you really want to exactly copy Eddies guitar sound, you have to figure out which guitar he was playing on that particular song. Part of the reason for telling so many different stories (along with him not wanting people to copy him) was that he used a different guitar on almost every song, and there's no way he could remember what pickup was in each guitar. I mean, the man had hundreds of guitars that he had modded in his own way. I'm sure all those pickups are good choices, because he probably used them in at least one of his guitars. You also have to remember he's a big fan of Korina which he used on many occasions, and that can make a BIG difference.

But then you have to consider what GearJoneser said, and he's exactly right. Ted Nugent played through Eddies equipment exactly like it was set up to go on stage. Ted is a GREAT guitarist, and he didn't sound like Eddie. You have to have the chops, the feeling, and everything else to pull off an exact copy. There are a few that can, but most are satisfied with sounding pretty close. Just get you a 59, a JB, or a similar pickup. You'll get close, especially after you throw the effects in with it.

Remember, he used a Floyd Rose live, but never used it in the studio because he thought it was too bright (probably so). That's another factor you should consider.

Whatever you decide, just have fun!!! That was one of the biggest parts of his playing. That's all he wanted to do is play guitar. I'm just glad he traded instruments with Alex!
                                1984 the weakest VH album for guitar playing! I suggest you go back and listen to the album again , pay attention to the solos and all the riffs. His solo work was very soulful while still sounding flashy. I think it`s one of EVHs best albums as far a songwriting and playing IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X