Best Pick up for EVH tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Best Pick up for EVH tone?

......more gain, less mids. A tighter, "narrower" sounding tone.

The easiest to simulate, IMO. You can do that with any Marshall-style combo and a boost pedal. Turn up the chorus and the "gain" knob on the boost pedal, though, if you're simulating the last track on the album.

Comment

I agree about VHoholic and a few others comin damn close to the EVH tone.
      and i also agree with majestic that eddie himself cannot get that tone again
      yes ted had a LOT to do with ed's actual studio tone for sure
      if you guys want to hear a more "stock" eddie tone listen to the older boots from '78-'84
      where ed is own his own
      it is still a monsterous tone but not quite as great as the studio tones.
      his latest tone is the easiest to mimic, i know a guy who has a stock 5150 and a ebmm evh sig axe and all he uses with it is some chorus and a slight delay, sounds real good for the latest tones
      1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
      2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
      1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
      1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
      Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
      5150 block letter head
      4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

My goodness this thread is getting Huge! LOL
        Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Updated Van Halen clips, originals and a few others.....check out my new VH Store also. Enjoy!

Comment

reckon it should be put in the vault when its run it's course?
          Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
          Marshall Mods

Comment

if VH tone you are looking for try a Custom or a Custom 5 with a Soldano and a Plexi Variac in you gear...
            PD
            the neck and fretboard are birdseye maple and basswood body , just a thought
            And Heavy Metal For All...

Comment

Originally posted by VHoholic
              My goodness this thread is getting Huge! LOL
              VH, what did you expect when the thread is about probably the greatest guitarist ever
              when the talk is about EVH it is always a huge thread!
              the guy is just UNREAL on a axe
              1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
              2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
              1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
              1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
              Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
              5150 block letter head
              4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

yep this thread did get huge. ive already bought the pickup i was asking aobut and have it sitting in my guitar now. which BTW i built and here is a picture of it: http://www.eddievanhalen.com/Files/I...nstrat-002.bmp

Comment

Nice job, man. Excellent work on the stripes. How long did it take to do those?
                  It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Thanks. it took me about a week to complete. For the taping for the stripes, that took me about 2 days just to complete. because i was trying to get as close as possible to the paint job on eds

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
                      VH, what did you expect when the thread is about probably the greatest guitarist ever
                      Sound Clips

Van Halen I tone clip

Updated Van Halen clips, originals and a few others.....check out my new VH Store also. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sFan
                        Thanks. it took me about a week to complete. For the taping for the stripes, that took me about 2 days just to complete. because i was trying to get as close as possible to the paint job on eds
                        That's pretty good. I know it's hard work. It took me nearly that long to paint my EVH shoes, and I wasn't that concerned with detail. Of course, I'm not the most artistic person in the world.
                        It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
                          Oh PLEASE! This thread needed to die a while ago...(but VHolic is the man!)

Ed hasn't played anything vital since 1984. And have you noticed his song writing is only decent when Hagar is in the room? I mean, the guy has about five tricks: Fast pentatonics, Whammy, Harmonics, Tapping and the odd funky chord voicing. He no doubt inspired super-strats (by accident!) and kicked the bar up a notch (or 2). But back in the day (and I was there!) you could find a VH clone on every corner. Flattering, yes. But impressive - no. Why? Because it was that easy to copy!

Now - just so I don't get totally flamed, I will say this: I think the coolest, deepest, most fascinating thing Ed brought to the guitar was the piano influence. And I don't mean keyboards on 1984. You can tell that Ed played piano. He has keyboard licks all over VH (in between guitar craziness), and a really cool approach to chord harmony that very hip. But to notice that stuff, you have to get past the flash and crap (and which pup he uses).

Don't even put him up there with Jimi, Stevie Ray, etc. For every thousand people who can cop Mr. VH's tone and chops, there might be (stress MIGHT) be one who is even close to Jimi or Stevie Ray's sonic mojo!
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman

Ed hasn't played anything vital since 1984. And have you noticed his song writing is only decent when Hagar is in the room? I mean, the guy has about five tricks: Fast pentatonics, Whammy, Harmonics, Tapping and the odd funky chord voicing. He no doubt inspired super-strats (by accident!) and kicked the bar up a notch (or 2). But back in the day (and I was there!) you could find a VH clone on every corner. Flattering, yes. But impressive - no. Why? Because it was that easy to copy!

Now - just so I don't get totally flamed, I will say this: I think the coolest, deepest, most fascinating thing Ed brought to the guitar was the piano influence. And I don't mean keyboards on 1984. You can tell that Ed played piano. He has keyboard licks all over VH (in between guitar craziness), and a really cool approach to chord harmony that very hip. But to notice that stuff, you have to get past the flash and crap (and which pup he uses).

Don't even put him up there with Jimi, Stevie Ray, etc. For every thousand people who can cop Mr. VH's tone and chops, there might be (stress MIGHT) be one who is even close to Jimi or Stevie Ray's sonic mojo!
                            Jimi's noise mojo to be more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman

I`ll put him up there with Jimi and Stevie , and I think those guys are the greatest! I mean if your gonna say that why not say don`t put Stevie Ray up there with Johnny Winter! But hey , not everyone has to like EVH . I just had to make a statement
                              When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

No offense to Ed intended. MAinly Iwas trying to get a rise out of Wicked Lester! That and I was feeling out of the loop - I don't think I've been on this post since page two!
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X