banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GEORGE LYNCH is the baddest mutha around thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The GEORGE LYNCH is the baddest mutha around thread!

Well as you can tell from my clips I really don't have any room to down anyone, especially someone of George's caliber...its just my general opinion on what I like and don't like about his style

I'd give my left nad to have half his chops (maybe both nads, I already have a kid, don't need anymore )

I'd rather listen to George than Ritchie anyday though..another solid player but his phrasing I just never could relate too. I've got an old Guitar World CD with a bunch of instrumentals from various players where he just kinda does a 5 minute jam, and I just cannot relate to it...technically it's very proficient, but he's just noodling around with no dynamics or direction.

I think it boils down to the fact I don't care for the American metal players of the 80s lack of melodic sensibilities (barring Jake and Randy?) :shrug: I find Rudy Schenker's simplistic solos on Still Loving You or Big City Nights far more appealing than anything George, Warren, or Ritchie ever did???

I'm weird..I know
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I always thought it was Mathias doing those solos. . . .???
      Theres no one like you! I can't wait for the night with you"
      Man that one gets me going!
      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal
        I always thought it was Mathias doing those solos. . . .???
        Rudy doesn't solo much, but on Still Loving You and Big City Nights it's him...Mathias does all the lead fills on both songs.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
          I will BUMP this thread till doomsday or Mr scary himself comes on the thread! whichever happens first!

CALLING MR GEORGE LYNCH!

BUMPING MR LYNCH . . . . LOL
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

George RULES!!!! He has managed to stay relevant to modern guitar after all these years and that's no small feat. He is also always pushing the envelope which is the mark of a true musician...I had the honor to play right after him at the Duncan User Group event and he just killed.I was very impressed that his guitar was tuned down yet he transposed everything on the fly and didn't hit a bad note the whole time...He always has great tone and his chops are just sick.....His style is one I'm always trying to learn (and some day I might be good enough to come close..) At the Duncan event I got to watch him play at close range since I was on the stage waiting to go on after him.His chops are just sick!!! I did get to talk with him after he played and in the lobby after I played and he was very complimentary and cool to me....I think he is highly misunderstood as being arrogant since he's so quiet. He really is a nice guy if you just talk to him....On that note, he just got some tickets to my show tomorrow from my manager and hopefully he'll come down to check me out.If he comes down maybe I'll be able to talk him into jamming with me (I have my fingers crossed!) All that being said I have met alot of "guitar heros" over the years and hve opened for several of them as well.George is easily one of the nicest and easy going........

Comment

How can you compare Bon Jovi and Dokken? Sure they both fall under the “glam band” blanket, but so did Stryper…:P

Give them both a great listen and you’ll see that there aren’t a ton of similarities. I though Dokken was one of the better heavier glam bands from the 80s… they just weren’t as popular because they weren’t as attractive as Poison and Bon Jovi. George and Richie are two COMPLETELY different players… but both are obviously very talented. George definitely comes off as the more technically gifted player, but Richie seems to be a more soulful player (unrelated, but I think Richie Sambora is a player that doesn’t get nearly the admiration he deserves).

I agree that George is a masterful rhythm player and an equally talented soloist. He’s got a style that is his own. I’d place him equal to and above some of jmh151’s examples. Take context into consideration when listening to Dokken. Know the era it came from and then think about some of the absolute **** that came from that genre during that time period. There were few bands that really possessed something great, and I think Dokken was one of them.

If you want some Lynch exposure that isn’t Dokken, obviously, pick up some early Lynch Mob, but also check out “Furious George” and Lynch Mob “Revolution.” Those albums are full of killer tones and great playing. The Lynch/Pilson project “Wicked Underground” is also a worthwhile grab.

And I’ll save the best for last… “Sacred Groove.” Again, killer tones and great chops. If you can get past the lyrics and the Nelson twins’ vocals, the guitars for “We Don’t Own This World” are very well done. The solo is far more than the “weedling” you guys are accusing him of... it’s fast, but also very well composed.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
                this guy has the tone and chops always used duncans and probably always will this is quite a compliment to seymour duncan consdiering EVERTHING ELSE Mr scary uses changes as much as i change pups! anyway this thread is dedicated to the guy i feel should have much more recognition than he got all these years!
                Uh,
                1) That's nice, I respect fellow musicians, but,
                2) He also uses EMG/ESP pickups, if his signature guitar is correct,
                3) This thread is getting annoying, sorry but it's the truth,
                4) Sure, maybe I'll buy some of his music some day, but for now....

There are plenty of "guitar gods" out there that I respect, but I'm not going to act like I'm forming a cult either
                My Music Page
                Originally posted by vinterland
                I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
                Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

I've heard alot of George's bootlegs and a similar vain runs through his live playing. George is inconsistant and pretty hard to watch/listen too for extended periods. A few moments of brilliance but overall it's just a disjointed series of canned licks.

what the heck you smoking d00d?? you must not play?? or were too big of a winger fan or too young to have heard and/or appreciate the tone LYNCH brings let alone his playing!! I TOTALLY DISAGREEw ith you but you are entitled to your opinion......

Comment

3) This thread is getting annoying, sorry but it's the truth,

as are you.....

face it...Lynch has a cult following

if you dont want to view the thread then dont!!

for us cult followers we will continue to do so!

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by north
                      George RULES!!!! He has managed to stay relevant to modern guitar after all these years and that's no small feat. He is also always pushing the envelope which is the mark of a true musician...I had the honor to play right after him at the Duncan User Group event and he just killed.I was very impressed that his guitar was tuned down yet he transposed everything on the fly and didn't hit a bad note the whole time...He always has great tone and his chops are just sick.....His style is one I'm always trying to learn (and some day I might be good enough to come close..) At the Duncan event I got to watch him play at close range since I was on the stage waiting to go on after him.His chops are just sick!!! I did get to talk with him after he played and in the lobby after I played and he was very complimentary and cool to me....I think he is highly misunderstood as being arrogant since he's so quiet. He really is a nice guy if you just talk to him....On that note, he just got some tickets to my show tomorrow from my manager and hopefully he'll come down to check me out.If he comes down maybe I'll be able to talk him into jamming with me (I have my fingers crossed!) All that being said I have met alot of "guitar heros" over the years and hve opened for several of them as well.George is easily one of the nicest and easy going........
                      greatly stated ron !! let us know how the show goes and if GL shows...invite him up on stage with you!! That would r0ck

Sicks chops indeed.....your chops are pretty sick as well!

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherNeverSaved
                        or were too big of a winger fan
                        Funny..as I think Reb has got all George has technically, and also brings the much needed melodic sensibilities and ability to constrain himself....very underrated guitar player, Mr. Beach is.

Though their lead tones are fairly similar..thin..squeaky

Comment

Nice to hear from the George Lynch fans here... George has been a big influence for over 20 years and I can see here that he is appreciated for what he really is... a true american guitar legend.
                          I met GL once at a clinic here in Calgary... super nice down to earth and fun guy. Never left a fan hanging and played his FAO.
                          Tone, Style, chops, attitude and killer rock instincts plus a really cool guy.

cheers
                          craig

Comment

It shouldn't matter what tuning he uses. A lot of players tune their guitars to
                            e flat. The reason this tuning came about was because of matching the singers voice. If a singer has to sing for long periods of time it is hard on their voice. So then the e flat was instituted. One should play by ear and not look at what the other is doing on their guitar. This shouldn't confuse other players. Players a lot of time move around on stage. So you won't always be able to keep an eye on everything that they are doing. The important thing is to all play in the same key. The key that is played in depends about totally on the singer. You want to harmonize with the singer. What ever the rhythem players play in the soloing is always in the same key. Some players even detune their guitars to dropped D. Motley Crue is one example of this. The reason for this is to make some chords easier to play.
                            George is one of the best inovators in the business. He has even played other groups music. To be able to do this takes talent. Sure none might use all the same chording on the exact part of the neck as the original band or play it exactly like they do it. But one has to remember that what might be comfortable for one to play in might not be natural or easier for someone else.
                            One has to play what feels right for them. Some stretches might be easy to play for someone with big hands, but difficult for someone with small hands. Also some people have more flexability than others. George has more flexability than most. He can play in intervals that are very difficult. One of the ones he uses are the 1 3 5 freting with only using the middle, ring, and pinky. This stretch is very hard to do on one string. One has to constantly be working on this to become flexable enough to do this. Some may never be able to get this flexable. That is why I think he is a very acomplised player. He adapted from the Xciter days. Back then he played in a different style. He did a lot of 50's style music like Jail House rock from Elvis Presley. He played more of a clasical blues music. He is constantly evolving. Now he is starting to play some Hendrix and Beatles music again. A band choses what type of music they will play. Then the soloing is adjusted to play in that style of music. It could be any type of music like country or rock or jazz. But the soloing has to fit that style. He adjusts very well from what I have seen. Playing in a new style doesn't come over night. It is a long and grueling process.

Comment

MikeS said it well... George can definetly put together a masterful soulful solo listen to Walk Away and tell me this tune is not as good as any Bon Jovi tune???
                              C'mon...

I'm not bashing Mr. Sambora I really do like him from back in the day but Richie is no Lynch... Lynch's style is accessable too but it is far more refined than Sambora's.

Vai, Satch and Malmsteen plus guys like Michael Schenker, EVH, SRV, Dime, Iommi and many others too have the heavily unique qualities.

Comment

I guess innovation is in the eye of the beholder. I dont think Lynch innovated a single thing, he just repeated things others did before him and as his career has 'progressed' he has hopped on every major trend along the way.

But thats just an opinion, its OK if people dont agree. Thats the nice thing about opinions
                                Last edited by Archer_of_Fish; 11-18-2005, 11:34 PM.
                                Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Working...
                                X