No announcement yet.

Medium output humbucker with BIG mids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone else mentioned this and Ive been looking at it also but take a peak at the Dimarzio AT-1. From what Ive been reading about it, similar to the JB with the big mids but not the nasty upper mid spike that many dislike.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The custom custom literally fills in what the jb doesn’t. It’s broader midrange wise. But before you swap the pickups, maybe try to swap the magnets. An A2 jb will be less spikey you should try it.

Comment

I wonder which SD pickup is a middle ground between a JB and a 59, probably the 59/custom Hybrid?

I like both the JB and 59 in the bridge, but i feel the JB is a bit too hot and not defined enough and the 59 needs a little more kick and mids

Comment

I'd give a thought to the DiMarzio Imperium. Far from hot and compressed and quite a dose of mids.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
            I wonder which SD pickup is a middle ground between a JB and a 59, probably the 59/custom Hybrid?

I like both the JB and 59 in the bridge, but i feel the JB is a bit too hot and not defined enough and the 59 needs a little more kick and mids
            The Hybrid is, but just in power. The EQ is very close to the 59, without the upper mids of the JB.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Check the Distortion neck. It's cooler than the JB to the point that it's more open than the JB but it has enough power, nice gritty mids, and cool tone character.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                I'd give a thought to the DiMarzio Imperium. Far from hot and compressed and quite a dose of mids.
                i'm checking out all brands, but i haven't heard a dimarzio that i liked personally.

i'm leaning towards the duncan pegasus now, i checked out more videos of the hybrid and it sounds a bit too much like the custom.

the EQ and output of the pegasus seems like it would be good but my only concern is that it seems to sound very choked, the hyperions do too, almost like a compressor effect.

Comment

I don't know what that means, but the Pegasus isn't especially compressed sounding or feeling. Not as much as a Custom or JB. It It also has more bass and treble than mids to me, although the lows are certainly in the modern category.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I don't know what that means, but the Pegasus isn't especially compressed sounding or feeling. Not as much as a Custom or JB. It It also has more bass and treble than mids to me, although the lows are certainly in the modern category.
                    "modern" would be a good way to describe it, it sounds like the opposite of loose to me, a bit too tight, like the low end is really choked, i think i'm going to take my chances with the 59/custom, it seems to be universally loved and it should be fine on paper, although the youtube videos haven't really convinced me 100% but it's probably the closest to what i have in mind, the only pickup i'm 100% sure would be perfect is the GG signature bridge but that's not for sale unless you get lucky on the used market.

Comment

YouTube compresses the hell out of videos and most recordings are done with cell phones or cheap computer mics. Gotta take it for what it's worth. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                        YouTube compresses the hell out of videos and most recordings are done with cell phones or cheap computer mics. Gotta take it for what it's worth. The only way to know for sure is to try it.
                        that's true, but you can hear the base tone of the pickup, in this case the Hybrid seems looser and more vintage whereas the pegasus seems very focused and tight

Comment

Check the Distortion neck god damn it. It doesn't have the problems that you are mentioning from the Pegasus or hybrid. I don't like that tight choked feel either. I haven't tried any of the metal pickups, but I tried the Benedetto and it was like that and I couldn't get it out of my guitar fast enough. I think I would like the hybrid, but you say you want some mid grind and the DDn has that.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

i'm checking out all brands, but i haven't heard a dimarzio that i liked personally.
                            Believe me, I'm a religious SD guy myself, but the Imperium kicks major a$$. It came stock in one of my guitars and it was a very pleasant surprise. But if you don't like DiCaprio pickups, then you don't like them. Period. Just don't limit your options by not being open minded enough!

I agree that youtube sound quality sucks, but it treats all audio equally. So even though you're not getting the real picture, but you can definitely make a relative assessment. There are some guys out there who make really decent compariaons between pickups playing the same thing with the same rig. Also, if your're not vompletely sold on something, try looking at some secindhand stuff if returning new is not an option for you. There are real good deals out there on basically mint pickups!

Comment

"modern" would be a good way to describe it, it sounds like the opposite of loose to me, a bit too tight, like the low end is really choked, i think i'm going to take my chances with the 59/custom, it seems to be universally loved and it should be fine on paper, although the youtube videos haven't really convinced me 100% but it's probably the closest to what i have in mind, the only pickup i'm 100% sure would be perfect is the GG signature bridge but that's not for sale unless you get lucky on the used market.
                              Let us know how this project turns out. I am a big Hybrid fan, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Let us know how this project turns out. I am a big Hybrid fan, too.
                                I went on the duncan facebook group earlier today and some people recommended the Whole Lotta Humbucker, after checking out some instagram clips i think it might actually suit me better, hot PAF output but with thick mids; if that doesn't work out i can still try the hybrid!

EDIT: upon further investigation i think the WLH will be too mellow/polite for me, so i'll probably try the hybrid first

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                                Check the Distortion neck god damn it. It doesn't have the problems that you are mentioning from the Pegasus or hybrid. I don't like that tight choked feel either. I haven't tried any of the metal pickups, but I tried the Benedetto and it was like that and I couldn't get it out of my guitar fast enough. I think I would like the hybrid, but you say you want some mid grind and the DDn has that.
                                sorry but i really don't like ceramic pickups, especially not the distortions
                                Last edited by Reee; 09-29-2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X