banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickups would you choose for an H/S setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, whatever you use singles in the neck for and whatever you use bridge humbuckers for without that damn middle pickup getting in the way. Also, it's useful for people like me who don't like the "quack" positions.
    Last edited by TVFV; 10-31-2020, 05:57 PM.
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Sorry. I meant that in a light-hearted way.

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
        Well, whatever you use singles in the neck for and whatever you use bridge humbuckers without that damn middle pickup getting in the way. Also, it's useful for people like me who don't like the "quack" positions.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

There has been a lot of great information posted in here. Thanks for all the input!

I originally thought about something like a Lil '59 for the neck, and somewhat thought that it would defeat the purpose. That said, I have really enjoyed them in the past. I feel like they have a certain clarity that a full size humbucker can't achieve due to the smaller coils. I figured but using an overwound stacked coil, I could get the noise free benefit and for the most part, a single coil sound. I have come to really enjoy the P90 sound, especially in the neck. So having the overwound stack can somewhat check those boxes.

Thanks again for the input!

Cole
          Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Sorry. I meant that in a light-hearted way.
            I suppose my response came off as a little harsh. That was not my intention and you have my apologies.
            "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post

I suppose my response came off as a little harsh. That was not my intention and you have my apologies.
              No prob man. I was just concerned that I had irritated you. Sometimes it's difficult to get tone of voice into text. It's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                ... Screamin' Demon with a STK-S7 in the neck.
                Have you really tried that combo? I tried it and IMHO it's not a good match, except if you like a dark neck and a bright bridge. The STK-S4 is a better match to the Screamin Demon, and the SD works very well with a 250k volume pot. Check that demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-xkwOtdvRM&t=107s
                This is with SSL-1 neck/middle and a PG bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggTyXwkwQx8

I would match the STK-S7 neck with a high output dark humbucker pickup in the bridge, but I suspect the STK-S7 will be very dark with a 500k pot.

Edit: My mistake, STK-S7 might actually sound better in the neck with a 500k pot. It's dark in the neck with 250k (and very nice in the bridge with 250k).
                Last edited by donaldr; 10-30-2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

i wouldnt think the stks7 would be overly dark with 500k pots. might be dark compared to the sd in the bridge though. in the neck with 250k too dark for my taste for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That sounds like a great setup, too. What's the sound difference between the Little 59 in series or parallel?
                    To my ears, it gets thinner and brighter than series, but still not as single coil-like as a Cool Rails in parallel.

Does cleaner tones very well in parallel, since in parallel it can get boomy.

Gainier tones get a bit of "stratiness" to them, more in feel that in sound.

I just love it either way, at least on the aforementioned guitar.
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      i wouldnt think the stks7 would be overly dark with 500k pots. might be dark compared to the sd in the bridge though. in the neck with 250k too dark for my taste for sure
                      You are right, I edited my post.
                      Actually it makes a lot of sense having the STK-S7 in the neck with 500k pots. Me it was wired with 250k which I think sounds better for the Screamin Demon in the bridge.
                      Your fault jeremy now I want to try a STK-S7 neck with a bridge humbucker!!!! Any suggestion for "hotter than a Screamin Demon and a bit darker too"?

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                        Have you really tried that combo? I tried it and IMHO it's not a good match, except if you like a dark neck and a bright bridge. The STK-S4 is a better match to the Screamin Demon, and the SD works very well with a 250k volume pot. Check that demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-xkwOtdvRM&t=107s
                        This is with SSL-1 neck/middle and a PG bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggTyXwkwQx8

I would match the STK-S7 neck with a high output dark humbucker pickup in the bridge, but I suspect the STK-S7 will be very dark with a 500k pot.

Edit: My mistake, STK-S7 might actually sound better in the neck with a 500k pot. It's dark in the neck with 250k (and very nice in the bridge with 250k).
                        Not that exact combo but I have used the Screamin' Demon with a STK-S4 neck and middle and it was a nice setup. 250K pots too. So yeah, the STK-S4 would be a great match in a HS setup. I haven't used the STK-S7 but figured with the extra output it has, it might be nice in the neck with the Demon but I can see based on the EQ curve what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                          Any suggestion for "hotter than a Screamin Demon and a bit darker too"?
                          Custom Custom.

Comment

@ErikH Just realized that I only tried the STK-S7 in the neck with 250k pots. Might actually sounds good with 500k pots (less dark) and an humbucker to match the output. Should have known that before, it would have saved me from buying 2 guitars and 2 sets of pickups (long story!!!!!)

Comment

Her setup at the time of the video was likely stock yamaha offerings.

She uses at least 4 of the 5 positions during this video.

The bassist is sweep picking!!

Comment

Custom Custom / Cool Rails / 500K volume / 3-way toggle:

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X