banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

    I know Gibson uses 300k pots in their new LPs but I made the switch to 500k pots and like the difference.

    I am guessing most high gain guys like me prefer the higher value.

    Just curious.

  • #2
    Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

    Well, I sold about 1,100 500K pots last year and no 300K pots. Most of them went in LP's. I guess you can make your own conclusion from that!! :-)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

      ive used 300k pots with good results but not very often, and only once with buckers (a jb jazz set by the way, sounded killer)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

        whats the difference in sound?
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

          I think it depend on the tone you want? i read a 300K makes the output drop slightly and bleeds some highs?
          I am also real interested in the 1 meg which is said to let the most output through the signal as well as highs?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

            Originally posted by jeremy
            ive used 300k pots with good results but not very often, and only once with buckers (a jb jazz set by the way, sounded killer)
            I actually like the JB with 500ks and yes.......the 500k pots are staying in my LP!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

              Originally posted by BlackRose
              Well, I sold about 1,100 500K pots last year and no 300K pots. Most of them went in LP's. I guess you can make your own conclusion from that!! :-)
              A very important stat regarding this question!

              Cool!

              B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                How would 300k pots sound in place of 250k pots in a dark strat with a Hot Rails bridge and a lil 59 or cool rails neck and ssl middle?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                  do pots really make that much of a diff?
                  EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  G&L Tribute Comanche
                  Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                    Changing from 500k to 250k pots makes a huge difference. In my SG I currently have JB in the bridge with 500k pots. I think it sounds too bright, so I'm going to change them to 250k pots. I could record some before/after stuff to show the difference.

                    However, I don't have any idea how much of a difference there'd be between 250k and 300k pots.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                      Originally posted by Fusion1
                      How would 300k pots sound in place of 250k pots in a dark strat with a Hot Rails bridge and a lil 59 or cool rails neck and ssl middle?
                      I don't think you would hear enough difference between a 250k and a 300k pot. I tried a 500k tone pot in an H/S/S strat and thought it was too bright - a 250k tone pot did the trick nicely. You might try the opposite - 500k for you tone pot(s). Changing the volume pot is supposed to have a greater affect, but I haven't tried that.

                      Also, what value is your tone capacitor? If it's .047uf or even .033uf, you might try a .022uf cap to brighten up the guitar.

                      Finally, is it dark even with the volume at "10" or just too dark as you roll off the volume? If it's only too dark after you've rolled the volume down, then a "treble bleed" might help. There are a lot of different opinions about what cap, resistor (if any), and combination method (series or parallel) works best for a treble bleed, so you'd better search this forum to see what everybody has to say...

                      Sorry to go off topic - hopefully this helps Fusion1.

                      Chip
                      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

                      "Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                        Originally posted by wasteofo2
                        Changing from 500k to 250k pots makes a huge difference. In my SG I currently have JB in the bridge with 500k pots. I think it sounds too bright, so I'm going to change them to 250k pots. I could record some before/after stuff to show the difference.

                        However, I don't have any idea how much of a difference there'd be between 250k and 300k pots.
                        Don't change the pot. Instead use a resistor unit, like 240K or 120K depending on your tastes. Installing it would be easier. + like I did you even can install a miniswitch (or a push pull pot) to select 500K versus (500-x)K (x either 240K or 120K).



                        B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                          Originally posted by dr.barlo
                          Don't change the pot. Instead use a resistor unit, like 240K or 120K depending on your tastes. Installing it would be easier. + like I did you even can install a miniswitch (or a push pull pot) to select 500K versus (500-x)K (x either 240K or 120K).



                          B
                          why 120k or 240k?
                          if you want to install the resistor parallel you need a 500K resistor or similar to get about 250 K
                          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                          TS 7 (modded)
                          Hot Rod 50+ XL
                          Framus Dragon 4x12
                          V-AMP II for practice

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                            Sure, what I said is confusing and not correct to get exactly 250K. As you imply the correct formula would be (500-x/2), x being the resistance value of the unit. Hence, 470K (I guess the standard value, no?) or so would make it go down to some neighborhood of 250K.

                            I ended up with the 240K on a ~470K pot, and frankly speaking did not check the resistance of the pot after the mod. But it tames the tele bridge just fine, that's why!

                            B
                            Last edited by dr.barlo; 05-25-2004, 05:10 AM.
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Does anyone prefer 300k pots?

                              Hopefully, I'll get the Stag Mags installed in my Patriot today . . . along with my "personality control", that resolves the issue of 250k or 500k.

                              Stay tuna'd.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X