Counterfeit Alert - eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    A thread with red v Fake comparison photos, that was stacked, would be really helpful...
    I've created several threads over the past couple years with plenty of examples and information, but they tend to get buried quickly.

A few things to look out for:
    • Sellers based in Asia, though not always (as evidenced by this thread)
    • Overly rounded corners on the mounting tabs of standard-spaced (i.e. "SH") models
    • Incorrect mounting tab length on Trembucker-spaced pickups
    • Oversized mounting screw holes (i.e. the threaded portion, not those drilled out for direct mount)
    • Unusual size/shape of the bottom label or label font
    • Slug poles with a perfectly smooth finish on top. Conversely, slugs with an overly exaggerated "bullseye" appearance
    • Screw poles that taper on the bottom or lack the self-tapping cut-out toward the tip (exception: Custom Shop pickups)
    • Bobbins with any sort of texture or odd coloring (ex: unusual cream color)
    To date, it appears realistic counterfeits exist for many of the mainstream SD pickups...JB, Jazz, '59 set, Alnico II, Pearly Gates, etc.

Unfortunately, it's often easier for me to look at something and tell you if it's fake than to try and describe all the "tells", but I suppose I could put a master list together if I knew it wouldn't get lost

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

I've created several threads over the past couple years with plenty of examples and information, but they tend to get buried quickly.

• Overly rounded corners on the mounting tabs of standard-spaced (i.e. "SH") models
      • Oversized mounting screw holes (i.e. the threaded portion, not those drilled out for direct mount)
      • Slug poles with a perfectly smooth finish on top. Conversely, slugs with an overly exaggerated "bullseye" appearance
      • Screw poles that taper on the bottom or lack the self-tapping cut-out toward the tip (exception: Custom Shop pickups)
      To date, it appears realistic counterfeits exist for many of the mainstream SD pickups...JB, Jazz, '59 set, Alnico II, Pearly Gates, etc.

Unfortunately, it's often easier for me to look at something and tell you if it's fake than to try and describe all the "tells", but I suppose I could put a master list together if I knew it wouldn't get lost
      Thanks! It's definitely better to buy from a reputable vendor/dealer, but sometimes we do have to save money in certain things to pay for others. I'm a solo recording artist (actually drowning in debt), but still would like to keep putting music out. Pickups will definitely take me to where I need to be tonewise.
      Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Again - the description is "nice". But to understand "overly rounded" shoulders I need to see them next to NOT overly rounded real ones.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i've often found that the "seymour duncan" print on the bobbins is always a bit off in exactly the same way on the counterfeits. The "ou" in Seymour is a little wonky and the font is just a bit off. If you only saw it once you'd probably not notice, but since it's wrong in the same way on every fake it really jumps out at me immediately.
          Quality riffs in about a minute...
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.48.26 PM.png
Views:	375
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	6064495

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.48.26 PM.png
Views:	369
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	6064498 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.53.00 PM.png
Views:	336
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	6064499

Comment

The font on the boxes is off also. The model name is thin while the common words like “Humbucker” are bold. And the alignment is always like someone’s first high school graphics project.

Comment

Maybe adding some kind of hologram to the baseplate or on the cardboard part that you can easily see...I don't know. But there are probably plenty of fakes that use actual real product pics, and what you get is the fake.
                  Again, that can be prevented with some forethought: Is this an authorized dealer, and is this a price this product would actually go for? Fakes are actually sold at the actual price of a real SD, so if the price is close, just get it from a real dealer, or someone you know.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Again - the description is "nice". But to understand "overly rounded" shoulders I need to see them next to NOT overly rounded real ones.
                    "Again" - you missed the part where I said suggested it's not worth the effort of making a visual reference for everyone if it's just going to get buried/forgotten.

As a friendly gesture, 'cuz I like you...

Comment

"Again" - you missed the part where I said suggested it's not worth the effort of making a visual reference for everyone if it's just going to get buried/forgotten.

This would make mine fake...
                      They seem to have the fake threads/holes.
                      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by OsvyRock View Post

This would make mine fake...
                        They seem to have the fake threads/holes.
                        Read again...only the standard spaced (aka: SH-X) versions should have square mounting tabs. The other is a Trembucker, which has rounded corners and 3 mounting holes.

I already told you yours were fine. Calm down

Comment

One thing I have yet to see a counterfeiter use is the self-tapping screw poles like SD does (look for the sort of "v" notch at the tip of the screws)

Comment

Read again...only the standard spaced (aka: SH-X) versions should have square mounting tabs. The other is a Trembucker, which has rounded corners and 3 mounting holes.

I already told you yours were fine. Calm down
                            Hahahaha! Thanks Masta' C!
                            This is definitely an interesting topic and I threw myself in the middle due to becoming a little paranoid after reading about the situation on Ebay/Reverb.
                            I'll install mine tomorrow!

I do believe there has to be a campaign or something to inform about the fake ones, and I do hope to purchase from fellow Seymour Duncan Forum members in the future.
                            Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Lol lol and double lol

The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

This is EXACTLY what is needed! I'm not asking YOU to do it. I'm saying DUNCAN might take a minute and make the effort. Just "words" is not enough to adequately describe. That pic makes it exactly clear.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X