mid scoop humbucker choices....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Yep the Perpetual Burn is my suggestion also. The Hybrid is absolutely NOT scooped and even though it on paper is not as hot as the Custom 5 to me feels much hotter in reality because of it's explosive mids.
    I don't get that at all from the 2 I have.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
      Regarding the 59 hybrid, I hear a certain midrange notch in this demo video. Start at 2:56 for the heavier guitar sound which I'm going to be doing mostly with the Charvel:

The ’59/Custom Hybrid is a medium output humbucker pickup that sparkles with upper midrange harmonic content and grit. The brainchild of our incredibly knowl...

Do most of you have this sound in your guitars? I know it can be different in other guitars, but if this is the sound honestly I'm not big on it. Its like someone boosted an EQ at that frequency. Is this the result of having two different pickup coils and some sort of comb filtering effect? It doesn't sound much like a 59 or Custom 5. Maybe this video isn't be best representation of this pickup? But its a SD video....

Clue me in here if I'm not getting something!

Thanks
      Keep in mind that the end result you hear in a clip, album, song or video isn't just the guitar, pickup, wood, amp, pedal, speaker cab, speakers, etc...

...it's also the studio/DAW post processing. In fact, the studio/DAW post-processing can take all of the former and totally twist things tone-wise.

Also, it's standard to boost mids for solos in the studio/DAW... so they very well may have boosted an EQ somewhere.

Comment

Yeah - as much as I'd like to think that the vid was not mega-edited/produced....the reality is that a) They did not show/tell how it was recorded, and b) They are in the business of making the pickups sound good. That is an advertisement, not a video.

I did a straight recording of three guitars with a neck A2P, PG and T-Top once. Guitar, amp, cab, Shure 57, iPhone. Into garage band no editing. THAT was what the pickups sounded like.

And even then, it was through a Mesa on a dirt channel....so, those pickups through that amp using LP style guitars.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I just heard that video, I am not an expert but sounds like lots of mids, maybe even honky. I am not saying that is a bad thing. Are my ears correct?
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Yep the Perpetual Burn is my suggestion also. The Hybrid is absolutely NOT scooped and even though it on paper is not as hot as the Custom 5 to me feels much hotter in reality because of it's explosive mids.
            I've tried a couple different pickups in three different guitars and did not get that result at all. While not quite as harsh as a Custom 5, they are not anything like you describe to my ears

Comment

Full Shred? IIRC that was kinda mid-scooped.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I have a '70's Aria Les Paul that is really midrangey. I have a Suhr Aldrich in it, and it's doesn't have enough cut. Really surprised me given Doug Aldrich's tone.
                Wrong guitar I think. I just ordered a Wilde L500XL. I have one in my '83 Destroyer, which has a Basswood body with a thin maple cap. It really works great in that, so we'll see.
                In my main ride, a '76 Sen bodied Destroyer (with a Floyd routed in by Gary Brauer), I have a 59/Custom with an A8 magnet. It will never come out of that guitar. Lots of treble bite, but in a good way, and the midrange is 'wide' for lack of a better adjective. Very slight hump in the middle of the midrange, but not noticeable till it's wide open, and overdriven for solos. If the Wilde doesn't work, I'll rinse & repeat with the 59/Custom/A8 formula.
                BTW, I bought the Suhr Aldrich after reading some people's warnings on this forum! Funny; I thought, "Oh come on, listen to Doug". Eh, oops! Yeah, not a pickup with a lot of upper register clarity. I suppose if you have a maple bodied guitar.
                Last edited by NoelH; 02-21-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I don't get that at all from the 2 I have.
                  I've got one C/59 that I bought and three others that I made and I concur.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I've tried a couple different pickups in three different guitars and did not get that result at all. While not quite as harsh as a Custom 5, they are not anything like you describe to my ears
                    + 10!

Comment

I agree with others about the C/59, but not with this.

You must have been listening/playing a different pup. The C/59 is definitely scooped and not as hot as the Custom 5, and certainly does NOT have "explosive mids". I think you've described the Invader.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                        Full Shred? IIRC that was kinda mid-scooped.
                        Full Shred is mid & bass scooped.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Full Shred is mid & bass scooped.
                          At that point isn’t it just treble heavy?

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

At that point isn’t it just treble heavy?
                            bingo is his name-o.

Comment

Working...
                            X