Pickups for an Epiphone Flying V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
    Tuners and bridge swapped, SNSs trail fitted with chrome pickup rings. I say trial fitted because I forgot to put some tape round one of the leads so I can tell which is which
    Usually tugging on the cable will make one of them wiggle in the cavity/mounting ring

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      Just an FYI - are you SURE said Epiphone is really Limba / Korina?

Reality may vary. My understandi9ng is that, while there may be some runs of V's that are two pieces of solid Korina, they can also be Korina Veneer over random chunks of Korina, or over another kind of wood. I trust Epiphone - not!

And as always - what is it you want to do with this guitar, and after you have lived with whatever pickups are in there, what do want/need more/less of. It may sound great.

But lets don't stop those minor things from a recommendation. I'll take the Schenkers - I assume you mean the Lights Out set. Punchy as hell tight Ceramics ~16k. But I'm a Schenker fan....YMMV.

If they are Black & White and you don't use them, I'll buy them.

You think the US FTC would actually
      ​​​​​allow them to falsely advertise stuff like that? I don't. So I tend to believe specs when I read them. There's no conspiracy to get over on guitar players by using wood you think isn't as good, while claiming it's the good wood in the specs. That sort of stuff doesn't fly these days. It's not 1910 anymore.
      JC
      -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
      -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
      -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
      -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
      -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
      -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

I think Epiphone may "change specs" on a whim. because there are great examples of it all over.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

They may advertise it as Korina but that is the color, not the wood. The wood is most likely Limba or something similar in color and characteristics, like Nato is to Mahogany, but it's not Mahogany. Then there is a veneer slapped on top and back to cover the seams and make it look pretty through a transparent finish. That said, there is nothing wrong with that. Good wood is good wood. None of this is new.

If it were me with an Epi V, I'd slap a set of DiMarzio 36th's in there, or DiMarzio Air Classics, a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates set, or Super Distortion in the bridge with an Air Classic or PAF Pro in the neck.

The SNS set I don't hear enough about. How is everyone's experience with those that have tried them?

Comment

Companies are very careful about their descriptions these days. They usually are filtered through several teams before they are seen by customer's eyes.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The place I bought it from (which wasn't Sweetwater) and Sweetwater have it listed as having a korina body. Sweetwater actually has it as no longer available, but they've left the specs up for reference.

The place I bought it from (which wasn't Sweetwater) says it has a korina neck as well. But Sweetwater has it listed as having a mahogany neck.

It may well be that the body is 2 or more pieces with veneers or thicker nice looking wood over the top and back, but then most LPs and SGs have multi-piece bodies too.

Short of drilling out cores and sending them to a wood expert, I have no way of knowing what the wood really is I think it looks good and its a decent weight, so i dont think there's any balsa or other cheap / undesirable wood in there.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                The place I bought it from (which wasn't Sweetwater) says it has a korina neck as well. But Sweetwater has it listed as having a mahogany neck.
                Korina is a subspecies of mahogany, so they could be both right.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post

Korina is a subspecies of mahogany, so they could be both right.
                  And both are subspecies of tree.

Even though theyre all Ford SUVs, trying to sell an Edge as an Explorer or Expedition wouldn't wash.

Comment

Working...
                  X