Blackout coil packs vs Gus G blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackout coil packs vs Gus G blackouts

Anybody have experience with both these p/u's???
    So I'm going to be buying one of these p/u sets. At the moment I'm leaning towards the ahb-10 coil packs, but eq chart shows the gus g set having more mids so I keep thinking they might be better for what I want. The p/u's will be going in a late 2000's Schecter solo6 hellraiser guitar. I'm going for heavy rock / metal style chord playing with thick chunky palm mutes and snarling mids. The guitar is going to be tuned to D# standard / drop C#. Not trying copy any band but think a mixture of black sabbath, motley crue, chevelle, tool. everytime I die. I know all those bands are in different tunings, but like I said not trying to copy any band.
    Any and all inputs welcome. Thanks in advance.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Both of these sets are a bit obscure, so you might not get much input comparing them directly, but I can tell you that the Gus G pickups are great...probably my favorite "Blackouts" set!

To be honest, the Gus G's don't sound worlds different than the regular Blackouts (which the AHB-10 coil packs are designed to sound like), but the Gus G set does have a bit more clarity and an absolutely wicked lead tone with decent cleans and plenty of "crunch" for heavy rhythm parts.

Neither set is going to be "thin" sounding at all, but for the styles you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Gus G for sheer versatility.

Tip: If you reach out to Franklin Guitar Works on eBay or Reverb, you might be able to snag a new "b-stock" set of the Gus G Blackouts for around $130 or so. Or, if you don't mind waiting a few weeks, Amazon will get them to you for a steal: LINK

Comment

@Masta’C Thanks for the heads up about Franklin guitar works. I will definitely look them up. After reading what little bit I could find about the two and now your response I’m going to go with the Gus G set. I’ll have to put some cover on the p/u’s though. The azz now again
      There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
      Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
      Boss GT-10
      Rocktron Velocity 300
      Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
      Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
      AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

In case you're not familiar, Gus G. has his own pickup brand now. I haven't heard of anyone who's used them, but Gus always sounds amazing. Here's the website.

Comment

Working...
        X