banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a pickup advise for 1H guitar (non-modern metal sound)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotDemanic View Post
    Get an Alternative 8. If you want to get fancy, wire the volume with a push/pull for series/parallel. If you want to get fancier, put the Alt 8 in a Triple shot ring.
    If you want to go over the top, add a push/pull to the Volume, along with the Triple Shot, to give you phase switching in the pickup.
    No, no fancy stuff. It's a straighforward metal guitar. What about the humbucker sound of Alt 8 though in basswood/rosewood?

Comment

Black winter or Invader.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        The Jason Becker Perpetual Burn would be good here. Not metal, per se, but can cover a lot of bases.
        +1 to the PB. Great pickup. I have one myself.

The Custom is a good choice. I will even recommend the DiMarzio Super Distortion. It can cover a lot of bases too. Work the volume/tone controls and you'll be amazed at the different tones that can be had with it. It works really well in Basswood. The Custom behaves much the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I think I'd just go for a Custom.
          Exactly. This is the right answer.

Comment

What comes to my mind are;
            -) Super Distortion
            -) PATB-3
            -) Depending on if the guitars tone warmer or brighter something from Custom family (CC, Custom, C5)
            -) Air Zone
            Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." — Frank Zappa

Comment

Custom, or Custom5, are always great choices.
              Distortion would be good.
              Alt 8 is good especially if your guitar has a naturally bright tone.
              JB is a horrible choice.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Ok guys, it took longer than I thought. No time for anything with three kids and everyone getting sick…

Thanks for your contributions. I‘ve made my choice and I‘ll try as hard as I can to bring my guitar to a luthier this Saturday. I‘ll report back when the PU swap is done and share my impressions.

Comment

What did you get?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It‘s a JB. I picked up my guitar just yesterday. Based on my experiences with other SD pickups and my tube amp, I figured that JB would do the job. Unfortunately, I can neither prove or disprove it cause my amp seems dead. It worked as recent as two weeks ago so I need to look inside or drive back to Thomann.

I was able to play through my Line6 prosessor but I find that the frequency response of Line6 ampsims is not very organic. They sound roughly the same with every humbucker I have.

Comment

The JB is a fine choice. It's all over so many classic metal recordings.

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      The Custom is a good choice. I will even recommend the DiMarzio Super Distortion. It can cover a lot of bases too. Work the volume/tone controls and you'll be amazed at the different tones that can be had with it. It works really well in Basswood. The Custom behaves much the same way.
                      These were the first two that came to mind for me, maybe because they are two of my favorites. My Custom-loaded axe is presently tuned to C# standard. I run a Super Distortion in E Standard in my Dean Soltero and it's my go-to for the types of sounds the OP was looking for. If the JB doesn't work out, either of those would be where I would go next.

Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Forum software won't let me edit the above... mean to clarify when I said classic I meant classic 80s and 90s metal. The pickup was a mainstay of that era.
                        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
                        X