New PAF Variant from Dimarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anficht View Post
    Ok, I put them in on Friday and I'm pretty impressed.
    Sure, there are other manufacturers with great PAF clones and interpretations of the theme, and DiMarzio certainly did not re-invent the wheel.
    But what they did is create a totally solid PAF style A2 humbucker, that is up there with the best of them.

I compared these to my A2Pro's-late80s-J's from Duncan. They are just a little less soft than the A2Pro, which is exactly what I was looking for.
    I love Slash's tone and after trying all 3 Duncan versions, I settled on an original A2Pro set from the late 80s, wound by MJ, with the rough cast A2 and Maple spacer, single conductor and long legs. I preferred this set over all the other Duncan newer production versions.

The DiMarzio '57 PAF set is similar to the MJ production set, it's just a hair less "soft" - there's a bit more definition and upper midrange grit and a bit more pick attack. That's why it took the spot for my Slash-style LP and replaced the original A2Pro-MJ's. Not better or worse, just a different flavor that worked much better for me and gave me the last 5% I was looking for for this guitar.
    These are not coming out.

These should also be pretty good to mod. I have a feeling these would do great with an A4 in them for yet another flavor. But for this guitar, they are perfect as is.

Pics attached (P.s. I always loved the Gary Moore Studio LP, so I went for a similar look in my 245 SE).
    Nice review!
    If they are any good, they are unbeatable at that price range.
    Ho do they compare to the Seths?

Comment

I have never tried the Seths, so I have no opinion on these.

So far my other guitars do have the below sets:

-Duncan 59s
      -Duncan Slash set
      -Duncan Jimmy Page custom shop set (I forget the real name)
      -BKP Mules
      -BKP PG Blues
      -BKP Riff Raff (bridge only)
      -ox4 Slash model (no longer available) -> fwiw, I really don't like this set
      -ox4 A4 high output

Comment

sounds like a nice set of pups! output about the same as the aph1?

so you tried all three duncan slash sets? the aph1, aph2, and slash 2.0? ive been curious about the slash 2.0 bridge pup, care to give me your thoughts?

Comment

I have never tried the Seths, so I have no opinion on these.

So far my other guitars do have the below sets:

-Duncan 59s
          -Duncan Slash set
          -Duncan Jimmy Page custom shop set (I forget the real name)
          -BKP Mules
          -BKP PG Blues
          -BKP Riff Raff (bridge only)
          -ox4 Slash model (no longer available) -> fwiw, I really don't like this set
          -ox4 A4 high output
          Ah, i see, thanks.
          I have quite a few from your list (SH-1s, APH-2s, (SH-18s), Mule neck, RiffRaffs) but some still wait to go in a guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            sounds like a nice set of pups! output about the same as the aph1?

so you tried all three duncan slash sets? the aph1, aph2, and slash 2.0? ive been curious about the slash 2.0 bridge pup, care to give me your thoughts?
            Sorry, just saw this.

Yes, the output is about the same. I would name them as the equivalent A2Pro from DiMarzio. Very similar tone and output-wise. After a few weeks I can safely say these are great. But of course, the marketing BS on DiMarzio's webpage is totally exaggerated. No masterpiece - just a super solid A2 set that's great fun to play.

Regarding owning all 3 sets of Slash pickups, I actually only own the original A2Pro and the first Slash version. I like both but prefer the plain version a bit more.
            I tried the hotter wind (version 3) on a friend's LP and thought it sounded fine as well. Just a bit too much output for my taste. I prefer low output winds as I prefer adding distortion when required but being able to have a great clean sound first.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Not an invention. And they copied what Gibson had already done and called it on their own. Not legitimate.
              Actually, if you read the history of dimarzio and why that was done, it was quite legitimate and was not copying gibson.

Comment

-Duncan Jimmy Page custom shop set (I forget the real name
                If you ever figure out the name, PM me, I'd be VERY interested to know what this is. (Unless it's just the original run of Whole Lotta Humbuckers, which I have already.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

If you ever figure out the name, PM me, I'd be VERY interested to know what this is. (Unless it's just the original run of Whole Lotta Humbuckers, which I have already.)
                  Yes, that's the one. Whole Lotta Humbucker. I have the original custom shop version. I think it was like this just before they entered regular production

Comment

Crazy how whenever you bring up Dimarzio on a guitar forum everyone suddenly becomes an intellectual property expert.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      No, that is a protected color.
                      Except for Kiesel. Would love to see Dimarzio try to sue Kiesel for Parchment pickups as they have been selling them since the 1940's LOL.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        Crazy how whenever you bring up Dimarzio on a guitar forum everyone suddenly becomes an intellectual property expert.
                        Yeah. Almost like you get a bad rep for abusing the legal system. Crazy.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          lmao nobody needs to be any sort of expert to understand a trademark and a patent are different things and why they exist

Comment

But there is always lots of talk on both sides about cream humbuckers both pro and anti DiMarzio. To me, black always looks better anyway.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X