What pickup to try next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickup to try next?

I was looking for recommendations on what to try next as far as pickups go, as I have another guitar on the way!

You guys know I like my high-output Ceramic screamers. I love the Gibson 500T and the Duncan Nazgul, Black Winter, and Distortion. I want something along those lines.

I was thinking either something from BKP or other small builders. Maybe even the PRS Tremonti Treble or the Duncan Alternative 8. Don't know.

I basically want something bright, at least as hot as the Nazgul, and tight with an emphatic aggressive attack and a tight controlled low-end.

So... what should I be looking at?

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-08-2024, 01:54 PM.

I'd say live with the stock pickups for at least a little bit so you know what direction the guitar needs to go (if any).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What's the guitar?
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I'd say live with the stock pickups for at least a little bit so you know what direction the guitar needs to go (if any).
        I have been in the same boat buying a guitar knowing full well I would have to change the pickups. When I bought my B.C. Rich I knew there was no way I would gel with the BC Rich stock active pickups. But seeing it was 50% off it was worth it working the price of pickups into the price of the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
          What's the guitar?
          If all goes well, it's an Ibanez SZ320.

The one with the stock IBZ pickups, tho. Not the Duncan Designed. I wouldn't swap those out.

I've had those before. They're nothing to write home about.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-08-2024, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Lace Alumitones
            Fishman Fluence

and start going more booteek / odd pickups

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              Lace Alumitones
              Fishman Fluence

and start going more booteek / odd pickups
              Laces seem interesting. Will look into them.

Already tried a bunch of the Fluence stuff. Love them!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                If all goes well, it's an Ibanez SZ320.

The one with the stock IBZ pickups, tho. Not the Duncan Designed. I wouldn't swap those out.

I've had those before. They're nothing to write home about.
                Do you have any idea of how naturally bright or dark this one is? I love some BKPs but I don't like most of them in bright guitars. It also depends how your amp takes to them. You've said you don't like to change settings in between guitars so I have no idea where you'll land with these.

Ceramic Warpig, ceramic Nailbomb, and Cold Sweat are all very good. Lots of crunch. Cold Sweat will be the brightest and most scooped of them. It's also the lowest resistance but it has plenty of output. Played this one live the most of the bunch and it rules. Nailbomb is muscly with more mids. Warpig is the thickest, still capable of being crunchy, but you might want a 1M pot for high end in a dark guitar. With a normal 500K v/t setup it sounds more doomy.

I love the Rebel Yell, A5, it looks like a mid-high output rock hot rod on paper but I absolutely love it for chunky/squealy/fast stuff in my Explorer. Another one to consider high value pots for depending on the guitar. Great harmonic content, handles low tunings well. Maybe my favorite pickup.

Also have a look at Elysian. I like their Trident II in my baritone. It's powerful, bright, and very clear. Hellfire is their high output ceramic, I haven't tried it but clips sound great and I would buy one if I had a spot for it.

Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

PATB-2. Just different enough from the Distortion to be what you’re looking for, and I have a feeling you’ve never tried a parallel-axis pickup. You’ll fall in love.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                    PATB-2. Just different enough from the Distortion to be what you’re looking for, and I have a feeling you’ve never tried a parallel-axis pickup. You’ll fall in love.
                    Agreed! I think that's a great suggestion!

Comment

JB with Alnico 8 and hex screws on the low E, A and D.

Comment

Alumitone Deathbucker bridge Hammerclaw neck
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

i think thats a great choice

Comment

Strong recommendation for the Righteous Sound 1018.

Comment

I'm curious about that one. The DCR is really high. Is it dark kinda like a Super 3? How hot is it too?

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

Do you have any idea of how naturally bright or dark this one is? I love some BKPs but I don't like most of them in bright guitars. It also depends how your amp takes to them. You've said you don't like to change settings in between guitars so I have no idea where you'll land with these.

Ceramic Warpig, ceramic Nailbomb, and Cold Sweat are all very good. Lots of crunch. Cold Sweat will be the brightest and most scooped of them. It's also the lowest resistance but it has plenty of output. Played this one live the most of the bunch and it rules. Nailbomb is muscly with more mids. Warpig is the thickest, still capable of being crunchy, but you might want a 1M pot for high end in a dark guitar. With a normal 500K v/t setup it sounds more doomy.

I love the Rebel Yell, A5, it looks like a mid-high output rock hot rod on paper but I absolutely love it for chunky/squealy/fast stuff in my Explorer. Another one to consider high value pots for depending on the guitar. Great harmonic content, handles low tunings well. Maybe my favorite pickup.

Also have a look at Elysian. I like their Trident II in my baritone. It's powerful, bright, and very clear. Hellfire is their high output ceramic, I haven't tried it but clips sound great and I would buy one if I had a spot for it.

If it is like the first one I had years ago, it's probably balanced-ish bright-ish. Even if the guitar is bright, I prefer bright pickups to dark/bassy pickups, TBH. I was looking at the Painkiller and the Aftermath from BKP. Any experience with those?

The Trident also seems interesting! Thank you!​

Comment

Working...
                              X