Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SlyFoxx
    replied
    Re: how different straps change my tone.

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    ....... But what happens if i sandblast the chrome off and repaint in black?......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Chrome rhymes with what? Tone, that's correct. Whew! THAT was a close one.

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    I get so tired of strap freaks and their crazy theories. Spend all you want on your slabs of wood and boutique tone suspenders. It all means nothing without a balanced set of brass strap buttons. What good is an expensive strap if you're going to ignore the transference of strap energy to the tone timber? Too much emphasis has always been placed on the "neck joint" while strap coupling has been overlooked.

It goes without saying that savvy players avoid chrome plated buttons due to the inductive losses inherent in the nickel alloys and the resultant tone degradation ... particularly when using the neck pickup on a short scale guitar.
    Amazing! But what happens if i sandblast the chrome off and repaint in black? ?
    I'm truly worried about my chrome now! Gosh darnit all!

Leave a comment:

• darnright
    replied

Absolutely hilarious!!! All good answers!!! Thanks to all for a great laugh!!

-dave

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Vegetable
    replied

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    I get so tired of strap freaks and their crazy theories. Spend all you want on your slabs of wood and boutique tone suspenders. It all means nothing without a balanced set of brass strap buttons. What good is an expensive strap if you're going to ignore the transference of strap energy to the tone timber? Too much emphasis has always been placed on the "neck joint" while strap coupling has been overlooked.

It goes without saying that savvy players avoid chrome plated buttons due to the inductive losses inherent in the nickel alloys and the resultant tone degradation ... particularly when using the neck pickup on a short scale guitar.
    I got some interesting results by swapping the tail strap button with the one on the horn. It was enough of a difference to make me go out and order two pair of Schaller Antiquities for each of my guitars so I can try out all the different combinations through my own rig and use whatever suits each instrument the best. I even worked out a quick-change system so I can A/B different strap buttons more easily:

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    The act of holding a guitar deadens it anyway, so it's all completely pointless. Most guitars sound at their best by not being picked up by anyone, ever. Many players sound their best when they put the guitar back on the stand. I am probably one of them.
    LISTEN TO THE SUSTAIN!!!

Leave a comment:

• SlyFoxx
    replied

Me at circa 1983. Imagine how bad @ss my tone was with that wide 70's weave.
    You people are not worthy!

Leave a comment:

• crguti
    replied

Leave a comment:

• crusty philtrum
    replied

The act of holding a guitar deadens it anyway, so it's all completely pointless. Most guitars sound at their best by not being picked up by anyone, ever. Many players sound their best when they put the guitar back on the stand. I am probably one of them.
    Last edited by crusty philtrum; 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ImmortalSix
    replied
    how different straps change my tone.

I use acoustic guitar straps.

Yields a tone that's woody. Like Frank Lee's full, firm erection.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

Last edited by Lazarus1140; 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTN
    replied

I call BS.

The type of rug you stand on makes a MUCH larger difference to your tone than the type of strap.

I only use boutique Persian rugs like all the pros.

Leave a comment:

• crguti
    replied

so... the strap length works as a buffer? the shorter the strap = more highs?
    Last edited by crguti; 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied

I've also found that spikes aligned 3 to a row sound much brighter than 4 to a row.
    Also the longer the strap, the more it effects tone.

Leave a comment:

• SlyFoxx
    replied

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
    ........For true vintage tone you need to use a camera strap.
    Almost sig worthy....but I don't have a sig and keep others turned off so.....not really important in the grand scheme of things. What were we talking about?

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied

See, I really care about strap related tone . . . but I'm a purist. I play without a strap, just leaning the bottom of my guitar on my 4x12 cab and using my fretting hand to hold the neck up. No strap = completely free tone where it sounds like your fingers are flying off the fretboard. Because they occasionally do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X