Blackstar HT-5, Duncan C5/10k Jazz Model, Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar HT-5, Duncan C5/10k Jazz Model, Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

This is the first thing I've recorded in I don't know how many years. This is also the very first time that I have ever personally put some mics in front of an amp and recorded. I used a Shure SM57 and a Sennehiser E609. The mics are on the speaker at the same time in approximately the same place on each side of the speaker. They're off axis. I'll have to experiment to get everything sounding better before I do a bunch of clips comparing different pickups. This was all just a rush job. It is what it is, so don't expect anything miraculous sounding. It's a crappy recording with some crappy sloppy playing to go along with it.

The clean part is the C5 and the Jazz together.

EDIT: I moved the mics around a tad. This may sound a little better.

Last edited by JOLLY; 12-06-2011, 09:52 PM.

Re: Blackstar HT-5, Duncan C5/10k Jazz Model, Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

dang, sound great - you just slapped the mics in front and hit go? worked great. cool licks. how'd you mix the two, or is it like left and right? straight into the computer? what's yer interface, or did you use an external digital recorder?

Comment

Where's the crappy playing?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        dang, sound great - you just slapped the mics in front and hit go? worked great. cool licks. how'd you mix the two, or is it like left and right? straight into the computer? what's yer interface, or did you use an external digital recorder?
        Thanks man. It's passable as something I reckon. Yeah, I just threw the mics in front, looked at it, and said "that ought to work". The way it's mixed is that each mic is running into two channels. I link the two channels together and spread them across the stereo spectrum from left to right and all places in between. Therefore, what you hear is four channels.....two for the Shure and two for the Sennheiser. All the recording that I've ever done of myself is done with my trusty ole Roland VS-1880.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          Where's the crappy playing?
          All over the place.

Comment

Tasty tones, dude! And shaddup, that's some good playing!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              Tasty tones, dude! And shaddup, that's some good playing!
              Thanks man.

Comment

I agree with the other guys in this thread. It really sounds great. There's a presence in the overdriven tones that I don't hear in my HT-5 head. Maybe that little speaker is better than I gave it credit for, or maybe I just don't have the resonance in my Les Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                  I agree with the other guys in this thread. It really sounds great. There's a presence in the overdriven tones that I don't hear in my HT-5 head. Maybe that little speaker is better than I gave it credit for, or maybe I just don't have the resonance in my Les Paul.
                  Thanks man. It sounds good to me, but I've got to do alot more tweaking here and there. The way I usually hear the amp when I'm dorking around is nowhere near the way it sounds to me when recorded. It sounds really scooped and flubby or something. It doesn't sound that way to me when I'm just sitting here farting around playing. The second clip I just posted in the original post sounds a little better, but I need to keep on tweaking a tad here and there. It's not bad though for a little practice amp.

Comment

Yeah where is the crappy playing?
                    Great to hear you again Jolly!

Comment

Man, and I thought I sucked.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Nice stuff man, the amp sounds cool too.
                        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Thanks fellas. I still really need to mess around and get it sounding like I like it. I think It's all going to be about mic placement.

Comment

bet the manual for that roland exceeds 1,000 pages. looks like the control panel of the space shuttle.

Comment

Sweet playing!

Comment

Working...
                              X