Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
    I don't think the Cantrell has been mentioned, but I've heard something about it at some point, I am sure. In general, I suspect that this unit is present on a lot more than we are aware of.
    Just wanted to be sure, I can only read so many pages of passive-aggressive/plain aggressive snipes at one another for something as trivial as an almost 40 year old guitar sound. Hell, that sound could come back altogether. There's been a resurgence in 80s aesthetics in popular music recently.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Who knows? I do find it curious that no attempt has been made to model the sound by Line 6 or Fractal, given how ubiquitous it was at one point. If you are doing 80s covers, or want to use that sound for something, getting it in with modern gear is much harder than it should be – hence my original question.

Apropos nothing, I've heard rumours that Tracii Guns from LA Guns is still touring with a Rockman rig, but I haven't found any photos. Can anybody confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
        Who knows? I do find it curious that no attempt has been made to model the sound by Line 6 or Fractal, given how ubiquitous it was at one point. If you are doing 80s covers, or want to use that sound for something, getting it in with modern gear is much harder than it should be – hence my original question.

Apropos nothing, I've heard rumours that Tracii Guns from LA Guns is still touring with a Rockman rig, but I haven't found any photos. Can anybody confirm this?
        I'm pretty sure you can get the sound with that modelling gear, it just takes time and effort, moreso than others because there isn't usually a Rockman amp model.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Airbloom Amplifiers shows off the Scholz Power Soak II:

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
            I don't know if it's been mentioned but Jerry Cantrell's brutal "Dirt" tone is a combination of dual rectifier, bogner (fish iirc) and rockman headphone amp for treble texture. He's not the only one to combine the rockman sound for texture with real amps.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed at how closed-minded and elitist some people are acting here. People can like what they like. You not liking it doesn't make you better.
            Jerry Cantrell used a Rockman on the "Dam That River" cut only. At least that's what I was told... Those parts are obvious when you hear them.
            Last edited by 67Mopar; 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
              Airbloom Amplifiers shows off the Scholz Power Soak II:

I've used attenuators in every possible configuration. TME, there is little to no benefit to using them. One of my Kemper Rig Exchange (Cornford RK100) profiles were produced using a Rivera attenuator. The reduced output was limited to -3db only. Anything below -3db, and the tone suffered. For best results, I recommend using a isolation cabinet.

As I recall, quite a few players in my area ended up trashing their amps using the Scholz Power Soak. Whether this was due to improper use, I do not know? I would never use one with my vintage amplifiers. To be fair, early model tube amplifiers were designed to be used with 110/115VAC max line input, not 117/120VAC. Our line supply gets as high as 127VAC! For this reason, I use variac and bucking transformers.

Here is my latest wall output reading via my AMPRX Brown Box...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	5808334
              Last edited by 67Mopar; 05-22-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                As I recall, quite a few players in my area ended up trashing their amps using the Scholz Power Soak. Whether this was due to improper use, I do not know? Personally, would never use one. Certainly not with my vintage amplifiers. To be fair, early model tube amplifiers were designed to be used with 110/115VAC max line input, not 117/120VAC. Our line supply gets as high as 127VAC! For this reason, I use variac and bucking transformers.
                A friend of mine blew the OT in his '71 Superlead with a Power Soak.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Jerry Cantrell used a Rockman on the "Dam That River" cut only. At least that's what I was told... Those parts are obvious when you hear them.
                  Where did you hear that? I'm pretty certain I can hear them fading in and out on Sickman.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                    Where did you hear that? I'm pretty certain I can hear them fading in and out on Sickman.
                    It believe it was a 1992 interview with JC. He said; "I used Rockman for the trashy tones on Dam That River." Thinking back on it, he did not say it was the only song he used the Rockman on, so my comment is likely inaccurate. The Rockman sound is unmistakable, so if you're hearing it...

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      A friend of mine blew the OT in his '71 Superlead with a Power Soak.
                      Using an attenuator isn't necessarily bad for an amplifier. Used properly, they can yield good results.
                      Last edited by 67Mopar; 05-26-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

I was in our local Mom and Pop this weekend and there was a PowerSoak there for $160. I laughed that they had a "used" sticker on a piece of gear from the '70s. Someone will pick the thing up for nostalgia but I had no desire to plug it into anything I own.

Comment

Back on topic.
                          Last edited by 67Mopar; 05-24-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I recently read that Billy Gibbons was using a Rockman for the ZZ Top Eliminator tones. Afterburner is obviously Rockman, but Eliminator... No way! I don't think he used Marshall, as it sounds too refined to me. Post-preamp compression, maybe?

Comment

I've used attenuators in every possible configuration. TME, there is little to no benefit to using them. The reduced output was limited to -3db only. Anything below -3db, and the tone suffered. For best results, I recommend using a isolation cabinet.
                              Agreed. And the higher the attenuation, the more compressed the tone.

I recommend a dummy load / slaving setup for complete volume level control over a fully cranked amp.

One can even run the line out into the DAW for cranked tube amp tone through headphones (with the amp dead silent) if wanted.

Comment

I recently read that Billy Gibbons was using a Rockman for the ZZ Top Eliminator tones. Afterburner is obviously Rockman, but Eliminator... No way! I don't think he used Marshall, as it sounds too refined to me. Post-preamp compression, maybe?

They got that tight refined sound by speeding up the tape.

Comment

Working...
                                X