Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

As much as I find it tasteless to sue widows and orphans, Tom had every right to move forward with the lawsuit. She aired out her opinion and accusations in the press. She accused Tom of driving Brad to suicide which is now a chargeable/jailable offense here in Massachusetts.

Comment

Why is this the first time I’ve ever heard of this lawsuit? I guess I just haven’t been paying close enough attention! What a shame… Brad Delp’s voice is what REALLY made Boston’s sound unique IMO. Everyone knows that Tom Scholz is kind of a dick, but I guess I didn’t realize just how much!
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Brad's wife came out in the press and accused Tom Scholz of driving Brad to suicide. IIRC Tom sued her for slander and the courts agreed with him. She had no proof of his actions causing the suicide. Years later the same Massachusetts courts convicted a young girl of manslaughter because she texted her boyfriend to kill himself and he did. If Tom Scholz's case came after hers I think he would have had a tougher time winning. From what Brad's wife said there were a flurry of harrasing phone calls.

Comment

He didn’t win. The MA Supreme Court refused to revive his cases.

In 2007, Brad Delp, the lead singer of the rock band “Boston,” committed suicide. The Boston Herald, Inc., published three stories regarding Brad’s suicide. The two authors of the newspaper articles relied on information from Brad’s former wife, Micki Delp. Donald Scholz, who founded “Boston,” filed an action for defamation against Micki, arguing that her statements insinuated that Scholz was responsible for Brad’s suicide. Scholz then brought an action for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress against the Boston Herald and the two authors (collectively, the Herald) based on the same statements as reported in the three articles. The superior court granted summary judgment for Micki. The appeals court reversed. A different superior court judge allowed the Herald’s motion for summary judgment. The Supreme Judicial Court paired the cases for judgment and held (1) the second motion judge properly granted summary judgment for the Herald, as the newspaper articles and statements contained therein constituted nonactionable opinions based on disclosed nondefamatory facts that did not imply undisclosed defamatory facts and therefore could not form the basis of a claim of defamation; and (2) the first motion judge correctly allowed Micki’s motion for summary judgment, as Micki’s statements were opinions and thus were nonactionable.
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I posted this here a few years ago in Off-Topic. The (sad) truth:

http://archive.boston.com/ae/music/a...hidden_camera/

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
              He didn’t win. The MA Supreme Court refused to revive his cases.

https://law.justia.com/cases/massach...511-11621.html
              You are right I remembered it differently. The courts were so off base not hearing the case. The articles blaming Tom for the suicide were based on conjecture and statements from people too cowardly to attach their names to them. It is funny you can not yell fire in a crowded theater but can hide behind the 1st amendment to call someone a murderer. Some of the other cases that were cited were corporations vs. the Boston Herald, not individuals protecting their reputations. The MA Supreme Court was way off by not hearing the case. What happened to someone's right to face their accuser?

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                I posted this here a few years ago in Off-Topic. The (sad) truth:

http://archive.boston.com/ae/music/a...hidden_camera/
                You say this is “truth”, but where is the information about the problems with Scholz?

At best this is a partial truth.

Teknon Theou
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Delp was widely acknowledged as a nice guy.

Tom? Not so much.

Teknon Theou

Comment

You say this is “truth”, but where is the information about the problems with Scholz?

At best this is a partial truth.
                    This news article coincides exactly with the legal document you posted... in fact, I believe they
                    wrote the article using said legal document as a reference. Did you read it before posting?
                    Last edited by LLL; 08-03-2018, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Delp was widely acknowledged as a nice guy.

Tom? Not so much.
                      I've heard similar. But I think the truth is, "it all depends on who you ask".

And, I wouldn't necessarily call someone who puts up a hidden video cam in his ex-wife's younger sister's room a "nice guy"...
                      Last edited by LLL; 08-03-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I probably shouldn't encourage these types of tomfoolery, but did the LLL/Securb showdown (or, if I even dare: tonedown) ever happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                          I probably shouldn't encourage these types of tomfoolery, but did the LLL/Securb showdown (or, if I even dare: tonedown) ever happen?
                          Well, looking back in this thread, on page 10, looks like he edited his 1st post and deleted what he said:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4151064

Immediately after, he had indicated that he was up for it:

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          I would absolutely love to join the fun. The only caveat is the clip has to be an original composition. You in?
                          But once the ground rules were set, he retracted with the excuse that he was moving and didn't have all his gear:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=1#post4151307

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          You don't get it this is not important enough to "cheat". I just bought a house 90% of my gear is in storage until the move in next month. I am living in a hotel with the JC120, five stomps and a couple of Les Pauls until the move. Even then this would take back seat to working on actual music for my band, working on the house, spending time with my girlfriend. You know, things that matter. Will I bang out a clip at some point, probably?
                          ...after that he disappeared. I thought it was odd for him to be all gung-ho about it, then suddenly change his mind with the excuse he didn't have all his gear. Oh well... make of that what you will.

I'm always up for a friendly tone challenge (figuring out tones is a big hobby of mine)... I started one last year IIRC for Randy Rhoads in Tips & Clips but no one participated.

Comment

I remember that. I am afraid that I don't have the know-how to do these things (hence this thread), otherwise I'd participate. I suspect the same is the case with many people here.

Could I challenge you to figure out some George Lynch tones? I have the guitar tracks for a couple of classic songs, and would love to hear some opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              This news article coincides exactly with the legal document you posted... in fact, I believe they
                              wrote the article using said legal document as a reference. Did you read it before posting?
                              That's a greater density than black ironwood.

You asserted that the article contained "the (sad) truth". The article I posted addressed the lawsuit, not the conflict between the two. The truth about their conflict involves much more than the lawsuit addressed, especially considering that the lawsuit was about the conflict between Scholz and the Boston Herald along with Delp's fiance. Not the conflict between Scholz and Delp.

Besides, I posted the Court ruling to correct Securb's remark that Tom won the lawsuit.

Teknon Theou

Comment

You asserted that the article contained "the (sad) truth".
                                Yes, the sad truth about Brad Delp.

We are (individually) posting about different (yet totally tied-together and related) topics.

Comment

Working...
                                X