Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

I've got Rockman modules that I've listed for sale on eBay and Reverb, but I always end up dropping the listings. I've done this several times now. #Nostalgia
    Last edited by 67Mopar; 06-08-2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

In the 80's some studios were using the Rockman X100 clean setting to record direct to the board with some other effects added. For a while I used one along with a Boss Analog Delay pedal into our p.a. system, just for a quick setup. I had a monitor to hear myself. Wasn't the greatest, but not bad. I later went to a ART SGX 2000 processor direct to the p.a., then finally went to a mic'd Fender amp....much better. I did read that rock groups back then were recording with the Rockman.

Comment

On the subject of electrolytic capacitor replacement: If the electrolytic capacitors in your Rockman or other gear are not showing signs of failure, you do not need to have them replaced. Rockman devices run cool, so unless there was a failing capacitor installed at the time of manufacture, the stock capacitors are likely to outlive you. If it will make you feel better, replace the 2 x PSU capacitors, but leave the rest alone. You can check for high ESR using a meter that doesn't require you to remove the capacitors from the board. This "required refurb" BS is just that... BS! I've tested new electrolytic capacitors with higher ESR than the stock SR&D caps. I have worked on dozens of Rockman devices, and found only two that needed capacitor service. Both of them needed new PSU capacitors only. All signal capacitors passed both visual and functional testing.

If you purchase a device that has not been powered up for years, do not apply full voltage to the unit right away. The following is a process by gearslutz.com member "mjrippe" for powering devices with suspected "dry" capacitors. I use the same process with slight variation, and it works. I let the device sit for a day, then go back to it.

1. Check the fuse (if any) and make sure it is the correct value.
        2. Plug it into the Variac with the power off and voltage set to 0v
        3. Turn on the Variac
        4. Turn on the gear being tested
        5. Bring the Variac up to 30v, watch the ammeter for current draw.
        6. Wait for the ammeter to settle, then increase voltage 15v
        7. Repeat step 6 until you reach 120v

Immediately turn off power *at the Variac* if you notice any of the following:

Smoke!
        Popping or sizzling noises from components
        Hot transformers or capacitors
        Current draw getting close to fuse rating

This has worked well for me over the years and prevented more than a few blown fuses, exploded caps, and burnt transformers.
        - mjrippe

Let's try to keep these wonderful devices in their stock form by avoiding needless refurbishment and alterations.
        Last edited by 67Mopar; 06-11-2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I'm currently looking for a stock Rockman Equalizer to run in the loop of my '87 Jubilee. There are several listed on eBay. All (except one) have those crappy looking looking stainless faceplate screws and a chrome power button on them. Bling! Bling! These changes do nothing to enhance performance, and it looks awful. The guy who has been doing this is selling his entire stock, so I (((pray))) he is through modifying Rockman modules.
          Last edited by 67Mopar; 06-14-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a Rockman intro to me.

Comment

BUMP

Comment

Credit goes to Larry Wilson for making this available. It's EVH with one of the headphone amps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37028756_1844063502350093_5738026206662492160_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	5808938

Comment

Taylor Rhodes puts a Rockman Distortion Generator through its paces:

Comment

Dude, we needed this, like, 16 pages ago!

Comment

Found my copy of Don't Look Back in the sleeve of another album this morning. I will probably give it a spin while I am BBQing later this afternoon.

Comment

Is this thread still going

I don't hear Rockman on the Journey tune. I hear Neal's typical tone.
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                          Is this thread still going
                          It will continue to go on in perpetuity and for all of time...

Comment

YouTube user stradivarius151 covers "Let Me Love You" from Jeff Beck's Truth album, recorded with the direct output of the X100:

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              It will continue to go on in perpetuity and for all of time...
                              I'm still stunned that it is going. I had expected fewer than ten replies when I first started the thread. I also have to admit that I am off the Rockman market for now, but perhaps some time in the future…

Comment

As much as I like the first 3 Boston albums and Tom’s tone, I find it hard to excuse his lawsuit against Micki Delp.
                                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                                X