Peavey Express 112 Transtube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Express 112 Transtube

This is the one with the Sheffield speaker.I found one for 86 bucks. Great clean sound. Not a big fan of the lead channel on it's own, but with the thrash button engaged the drive channel comes to life. Very American sound. I liked it a lot. What were your experiences with this amp?

P.S if you were ever considering buying this amp,let me tell you that this amp is straight up loud as hell.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by atf; 09-08-2018, 07:15 AM.

Re: Peavey Express 112 Transtube

These are great amps. I had a Bandit from this era that I used for years.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Same here. Big fan. Used to have one in a shared rehearsal space.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        These are great amps. I had a Bandit from this era that I used for years.
        Without a doubt but I don't understand the layot for the lead channel, without engaging the thrash switch, it sounds so horrible, like a jc 120s distortion lol

Comment

Had a Studio Pro for years before a Hamster ate it (Don't ask). But I recently picked up an Express.

Great all around multi-purpose amps. See the settings image in my post from the manual (post #11).
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Had a Studio Pro for years before a Hamster ate it (Don't ask).
            We kinda gotta know now.

Comment

Spill the beans, Ace....

Comment

Originally posted by atf View Post
                Without a doubt but I don't understand the layot for the lead channel, without engaging the thrash switch, it sounds so horrible, like a jc 120s distortion lol

To me, the Thrash switch scooped the mids out and made it sound much, much worse.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have this same version of the studio-pro 112 and the envoy 110. (my studio has been upgraded to the sheffield 1230)
                  Mostly I just use them as distortion pedal platforms, but I've also got some sickly tones by using the HM-2 at 0-gain as a booster into the drive channel with the thrash engaged.
                  The HM-2 honk from the highs knob kind-of makes up for the inherent scoop. You can also disengage the thrash and just scoop with the mids knob, sounds OK.

Through my Mesa cabs they sound much better, as expected much warmer and thicker, plus it puts the controls up where I can adjust easier.
                  My only knock on these is the crappy hard plastic feet, and the crappy weird metal feet on the bandits and maybe the express too (?).
                  A few $ well spent to upgrade to big soft-rubber feet.
                  Last edited by dave74; 09-08-2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                    I have this same version of the studio-pro 112 and the envoy 110. (my studio has been upgraded to the sheffield 1230)
                    Mostly I just use them as distortion pedal platforms, but I've also got some sickly tones by using the HM-2 at 0-gain as a booster into the drive channel with the thrash engaged.
                    The HM-2 honk from the highs knob kind-of makes up for the inherent scoop. You can also disengage the thrash and just scoop with the mids knob, sounds OK.

Through my Mesa cabs they sound much better, as expected much warmer and thicker, plus it puts the controls up where I can adjust easier.
                    My only knock on these is the crappy hard plastic feet, and the crappy weird metal feet on the bandits and maybe the express too (?).
                    A few $ well spent to upgrade to big soft-rubber feet.
                    Using the HM as a booster sounds interesting. When you say Mesa cab, do mean the standard one with their own speakers or one with some other brand speakers like celestion etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      To me, the Thrash switch scooped the mids out and made it sound much, much worse.
                      For some things. For others however....

Comment

So, we lost a Hamster one time. We'd see it in the house every now and again for months. The Studio Pro was acting up a little - but whatever...kinda intermittent crackles, etc. Anyway, I was too lazy to check and my little studio room was a tight fit.

We went to move, and when I picked the amp up, all kinds of colored wire fell out of it. Apparently Mr. Ontherun had been using it as a temporary home and cafeteria!

Can't believe he didn't electrocute himself or that the amp didn't stop working! Followed up by buying the 1st/2nd ten Roland Cube 30. Wasn't giving at the time and needed a headphone jack.

Comment

Originally posted by atf View Post
                          Using the HM as a booster sounds interesting. When you say Mesa cab, do mean the standard one with their own speakers or one with some other brand speakers like celestion etc ?

Standard recto cabs with the mesa-V30s. They are special made by celestion in the UK for mesa.

Comment

Working...
                          X