• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kemper - what's the point?

Fly rig=$300
    Kemper=$2500

Comment

Avg actual selling price for Kemper on Reverb ~$1,400...Fractal ~$1,100...looking around it looks to me like those prices equate to about 1.5 good tube amps...
      If your current rig does all but a pedal or pickup’s worth of what you want then they don’t make sense...However,...

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
        Avg actual selling price for Kemper on Reverb ~$1,400...Fractal ~$1,100...looking around it looks to me like those prices equate to about 1.5 good tube amps...
        If your current rig does all but a pedal or pickup’s worth of what you want then they don’t make sense...However,...
        The prices I posted were from Sweetwater, so new pricing.
        I would imagine that they are what you posted on the used market.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
          Fly rig=$300
          Kemper=$2500
          I’d end up paying $1k-$2k for the Kemper and then only be able to use $200 worth of amp models in it. Buying something that’s already closer to my target sound for less is more of a deal to me. Not knocking Kemper, just saying cost vs value to me doesn’t balance.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            I’d end up paying $1k-$2k for the Kemper and then only be able to use $200 worth of amp models in it. Buying something that’s already closer to my target sound for less is more of a deal to me. Not knocking Kemper, just saying cost vs value to me doesn’t balance.
            Yeah, I hear you.
            The “thing” that a kemper does is sure enticing but I really only use a small handful of tones too.

Comment

I use a Fractal AX8, and while I love a lot of the amps in there, I could get by with their excellent Twin and TS model. That is what I gravitate in live playing, although I use of other models for recording.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                Fly rig=$300
                Kemper=$2500
                One distortion sound vs 100 modeled amps.
                Programmable vs not.
                We can go on.

Again...not in the same ballpark. Not even the same game.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ande, so, no one has asked this: How well does a Kemper take pedals?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    How long is a piece of string?

Seriously, does any amp not take pedals well? Like if you can get a remotely clean tone you'll find some sort of modulation that sounds good. Delay/tremolo/reverb sound good with any amp with an effects loop. Boosts, treble boosters, ODs, Fuzz, and distortion pedals . . . something will work on any amp. :P
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

One distortion sound vs 100 modeled amps.
                      Programmable vs not.
                      We can go on.

Again...not in the same ballpark. Not even the same game.
                      I’m not disagreeing just saying that for the budget conscious player that only needs a handful of tones the Kemper, at its price point doesn’t make sense. Just as for the player that needs lots of tones the fly rig doesn’t make sense.
                      But I would guess that somebody that “needs” ( emphasize needs) the kemper, they are likely recording/playing at a level that may necessitate it. Of course that’s a generalization but you get what I’m saying.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Seriously, does any amp not take pedals well? Like if you can get a remotely clean tone you'll find some sort of modulation that sounds good. Delay/tremolo/reverb sound good with any amp with an effects loop. Boosts, treble boosters, ODs, Fuzz, and distortion pedals . . . something will work on any amp. :P
                        while i think to your point -"amps taking pedals well" is a completely abused marketing strategy at this point -there are are some amps that actually don't -but they are mostly a few 50s and 60's amps that have little headroom for anything much over unity gain from a humbucker or a buffer circuit.

so I think we are 40 or 50 years past most concern for this, most amps have had ample headroom since the late 60s
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I just saw this in the memes thread in the sound room and could’t resist.

Originally posted by Swampy
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]98083[/ATTACH]

Comment

This is actually one of my pet peeves with regards to the pedal crowd. You always hear people raving about how their pedalboard/pedal collection/whatever couldn't possibly be replaced by a digital unit, yet it looks like the memo is lost entirely to the Kemper/Fractal/Helix users out there.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Marshalls are generally regarded as not working well with pedals. Whether this has to do with breakup character, poor loop design or cork sniffing I'll leave to people with actual pedal boards to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              I just saw this in the memes thread in the sound room and could’t resist.
                              That Meme is EXACTLY part of the reason for this thread...

Comment

So your cell phone probably looks something like this???

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9DB9616-9868-4D9B-832E-B8EBD55858A1.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	5814365

Or do you have a tube phone???

Click image for larger version

Name:	15553D58-64FA-4EEC-82B0-49E63FFFCFA6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	5814366
                                Last edited by justFred; 06-01-2019, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X