No announcement yet.

“Best” aka your favorite Lunchbox Amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friedman PT20. Incredible hot British tone. A better Marshall sound than most Marshalls I've owned.
    With one 12" it's plenty loud enough to play with drums and bass, even for gigs.

Remarkably good master volume circuit, too - it sounds fantastic even at low levels.

No channel switching - only does the one thing but does it really, really well.
    I use mine with a single Celestion (Vintage30) in a custom cab.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

PRS MT 15. Small lightweight and will rip your head off! Will spank many full size 50 watt amps in both clean headroom and overall volume. Not just passable clean great cleans and the crunch side is jaw dropping. Don't buy one thinking it's a bedroom practice amp only oh no these are serious amps and many big name artist are running them on stages and in the studio they are not a little toy!! Love mine!!
      Here is a buddy of mine with his MT 15 on stage.

Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My MT 15 outdoors on a little Tweaker cab loaded with a old GT 12 75. Running only a old DD 3 delay and a Neunaber Wet Verb in the loop. Only running around 9 oclock on the volume here BTW.

Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My MT 15 unmiced running just the wet and a DD3 at a local church event. Wicked little grab and go set up!!!

Guitars

Comment

Great choices in here..
            the DSL 20 rips!
            The prs mt15 is great!
            I've been thoroughly impressed with these little joyo bantamps!
            Also the 6505mh is every bit a 6505...
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Seems like that one is about 20dB too loud as well. But it does look awesome.
              Sorry, I quoted the wattage on the Classic 20 incorrectly, it is 1-5-20 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Sorry, I quoted the wattage on the Classic 20 incorrectly, it is 1-5-20 watts.

Welllllll thennnnmm....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Debating-the-Death-Penalty.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	6169270
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

It's more than 15 watts, but I'm a big fan of the Marshall 2525H Mini Jubilee. Two channels if you want to use them, or the lead channel cleans up really well if you don't. On the 20W setting it's plenty loud for a small gig, and the master volume is excellent.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I guess both my everyday amps could be considered "lunchbox" amps
                    an Orange Micro Dark and a DSL1HR
                    The Orange is really versatile, has good cleans, does a really good blues, classic rock, and gets close to classic metal. It also takes pedals well and the 20 watts gets pretty loud with my 2x12 cab.
                    The Marshall's clean channel is a bit ice-picky, but the ultra gain channel is awesome. With the gain at 12 o'clock and a tubescreamer in front, it nails 80's Metallica. Turn the gain down a bit and dial the mids up and GnR is right there. Turn the gain down a little more and kick off some blues.
                    Both are killer amps in the price and wattage range IMO. I tend to use a whirlwind selector and use the Orange for cleans/light overdrive, and switch to the Marshall for distorted tones.
                    For versatility and as a pedal platform, I'd probably go with the Orange. But I'm glad I can have both

Name:	Snapchat-1149094386.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	6169442

Name:	Snapchat-1044322321.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6169443
                    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Don't these things pierce your ears?

Comment

I think the Jet City 20 watter is hard to even put in this category. Even at 3, which is about 10:00, it’s loud, where you’d have to yell to hear in the same room through a 2x12. My suggestion would be a Blackstar HT-5.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if lunchbox amps had a little compartment on the side where you could store a sandwich? Part way through the gig you could reach in the amp, pull out the sandwich and nosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            Wouldn't it be nice if lunchbox amps had a little compartment on the side where you could store a sandwich? Part way through the gig you could reach in the amp, pull out the sandwich and nosh.
                            Or at least have The Flintstones, Hot Wheels, Evil Knievel, and Wonder Woman on the outside.

Comment

My Peavey ValveKing II MH. Enough gain to keep up with my JSX or Triple XXX. Falls in between their Classic 20 MH and 6505 MH offerings. 20-5-1 watt switchable and sounds great on my 112 or 412 cabs. No pedals, but I will usually dial it in on a relatively hot Ultra tone and roll down the volume knob on the guitar as needed. If I need a clean tone with it, I will switch between channels, and switch the Boost on. This latter setup requires more dialing, but eventually I can get it there.
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

One thing to consider here. I run a small amp mostly because they are light and portable as grab and go rigs for small gigs. I have found that many of the mini heads in particular don't really play nice at bedroom levels. Examples would be the Jet City (owned 2 of the 22H 20 watt channel switching heads a regular and a Custom) my Boogie F 30 the PRS MT 15 ect. On the other hand I have had and still have 50 to 100 watt full size amps that are very good at lower volume tones. My 50 watt real US built first gen PRS Archon for example is much easier to control at bedroom levels than my little MT 15 is. Small size and low wattage doesn't necessarily mean the amp is easy to use at low volumes!! Just be aware of this!
                                Guitars

Comment

Working...
                                X