• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDeeGee
    replied
    Re: Ibanez wood fraud

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    Mahogany doesn’t have grain lines. That looks like poplar.

Could it be aghatis?

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

PS: Please let's all stay on topic: Ibanez lying about their specs.

Please cease the tonewood debate here.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied

Mahogany doesn’t have grain lines. That looks like poplar.

This is mahogany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    replied

Well I hate to say it but I once bought 2 identical Michael kelly guitars, same model, same pups, same wood, same finish, and they couldn't have sounded more differently.
    One was really midrangey and the other the darkest sounding guitar I ever heard.

And it had translucent finish so they seemd indeed to be using the same kinds of wood (magogany with a maple cap).

You might have a point there, in a sense, but then again, mahogany will never sound like maple and vice versa.

The bass doesn't sound bad, but then I don't like to be conned either.

Leave a comment:

• ItsaBass
    replied

Please define "good tonewood," or even "tonewood," for that matter, as they relate to electric guitars. Please point us to any research on this topic that provides solid answers as to how the selection of wood species in general can be used to reliably/predictably control the tonal properties of a single electric guitar. If you can, you win the Internet for 1,000 years.

Go ahead and be annoyed by specs not being as claimed...but please don't bring wives tales about the subjective and nearly impossible to test superiority or inferiority of various "tonewoods" into it. It makes you look foolish.

I can't even tell the color of the wood that well from your photo. It's not even in focus.

Leave a comment:

• WDeeGee
    started a topic Ibanez wood fraud

Ibanez wood fraud

Click image for larger version

Name:	IbzSR300-chipped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	5853987

I bought this Ibanez SR300E online, second hand, the box was dented and the styrofoam inside squashed when it arrived, apparently someone dropped it hard and a chunk of coating had chipped off (I'm surprised to see how thick it is).

These were made with agathis bodies, but for a few years they used mahogany (current run uses nyatoh). I checked the serial number, she is from the year 2017, and so supposed to have a mahogany body, according to Ibanez's catalogues.

But as far as I know, mahogany is a reddish kind of wood. This is a pale wood, dyed green.

People over at the woodworking subreddit don't seem to think that's mahogany either.

This is a bummer, I bought it because their 2017 catalogue said it was mahogany. Could have gotten a different model with a good tonewood for a few dozen euros more.

Anyone else heard similar stories from Ibanez?
    Last edited by WDeeGee; 05-21-2020, 04:54 PM.
Working...
X