X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I6's First Guitar Build

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Thanks!

I found myself playing 2 guitars all the time - I'm sure you can guess which two - and it dawned on me that one of them just felt right against my body and the other one just felt right in my hands, so I put the shape of the one that felt good against my body on the top, where the guitar contacts my body the most, and put the shape of the one that felt good in my hands on the bottom, where the guitar contacts my hands the most and Bob's your uncle.

No joke, after I first routed it and did the roundover, I picked it up and held it like a guitar and I had kind of a Eureka! / lightbulb over my head / "oh baby!" type of moment.

I didn't want to try building a guitar just because I wanted to do it myself or spend a ton of money and even more time on a guitar that would likely be inferior or at best equal to a storebought axe --- I wanted to try building because nobody makes the guitar that's best for me.
    An almost scientific approach to designing a guitar! How can I argue with that?
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

That is way effing cool, man.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        the p90 will work from behind a p/g???
        We'll find out!

I may end up drilling holes in the pickguard, so the pole screws can have a more direct "look" at the strings.

For me, the purpose of the middle pickup is to be a sound modifier, not a sound generator, so a weak magnetization / larger than usual induction distance could be completely acceptable for this purpose.
        Last edited by ImmortalSix; 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

You don't think that the magnets of two pickups located so close together may interfere with one another in some way, aversely affecting the pickups' performance(s) ?
          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
            You don't think that the magnets of two pickups located so close together may interfere with one another in some way, aversely affecting the pickups' performance(s) ?
            I don't necessarily think that they will or won't. Real talk: I just plain don't know.

In the actual configuration (not just the photo op), the P90 will have no cover at all, and the mini-hum will have no ring, freeing up a decent amount of buffer distance between the two pickups. I will have the P90 as close to the bridge as possible and the mini-hum as close to the headstock as possible.

I don't know how they are going to sound. If something sounds off, I will take the P90 out and just go with the QP bridge / mini-hum neck.

I like 2 pickup guitars, and will wire this guitar primarily as a 2 pickup guitar --- 3 way toggle for neck - neck+bridge - bridge, MV, MT. The P90 middle pickup will be on a blender pot and that'll be that.

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
              That's really some nice work my friend! Keep it up and keep us posted!
              Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              That is way effing cool, man.
              Thanks guys!

Comment

I got this awesome sanding thingamajig and sanded the coat of sanding sealer down - made a huge dusty mess. I wear a respirator when I sand.

Here is what the body looks like with the sanding sealer applied and then sanded down smooth. This picture is just 220 grit, but I am considering a 320 grit run.

Next step is to place the bridge and the neck plate / neck screws. Wish me luck.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Placed and drilled the neck holes in both the neck and the body - bolted it up.

Next step is to install the tuners, then use thread, measuring, math, and the almighty power of prayer to place the bridge.

You can see i have already penciled in preliminary placement holes for the bridge screws.

Last edited by ImmortalSix; 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Going well - will look forward to seeing the end result.
                      Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Looking good, man!
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Super stoked brah
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Awesome work! Can't wait to see how it turns out....
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Lookin good. Just might see something done before Christmas.

Comment

The only word I can say for guitar builders is "bravo". I wish I had the patience and talent for this.

You got a well equipped lab there.
                                Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Working...
                                X