Re: I6's First Guitar Build

Looking good man!
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Thanks all!

And yes, Erik, hopefully I will get my act together and finish this before the new year dawns.

I really want to start on my purpleheart Tele project - it's a body I got in trade, that I really want to finish so I can sell it and get a good chunk of change for buying some new supplies (wood, mostly). But I really need to do one thing at a time!

Metalblaze, patience can be forced, and talent...well, I had exactly 0 going in to this (just read up on the internet), and still have close to 0 - there really is nothing to it but to put one foot in front of the other.

Thanks Ayrton - means a lot coming from you!
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Nice job so far.
        " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
          Thanks all!

And yes, Erik, hopefully I will get my act together and finish this before the new year dawns.

I really want to start on my purpleheart Tele project - it's a body I got in trade, that I really want to finish so I can sell it and get a good chunk of change for buying some new supplies (wood, mostly). But I really need to do one thing at a time!

Metalblaze, patience can be forced, and talent...well, I had exactly 0 going in to this (just read up on the internet), and still have close to 0 - there really is nothing to it but to put one foot in front of the other.

Thanks Ayrton - means a lot coming from you!
          Someday I might try it, however something tells me that it's gonna take me around 57 years to complete.
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Metalblaze View Post
            Someday I might try it, however something tells me that it's gonna take me around 57 years to complete.
            I started in the Fall of 2010 and I am just now about 75% done with half of a guitar

Comment

Looking good! I like the idea of the stealth P90... can't wait to hear it!
              -=The Dali
              --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

I started in the Fall of 2010 and I am just now about 75% done with half of a guitar
                Quite fast if you ask me.

The most possible thing it'll happen to me is that at some point I'll start rushing and ruin everything like cutting the body in half with the saw or sitting on the neck, cracking it etc.
                Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Metalblaze View Post
                  Quite fast if you ask me.

The most possible thing it'll happen to me is that at some point I'll start rushing and ruin everything like cutting the body in half with the saw or sitting on the neck, cracking it etc.
                  The very first thing I did when I got my mahogany slab was mess up with the jigsaw and cut the slab too small. On the "butt" of the guitar, it's not flat at all, it's angled because my jigsaw blade walked.

But as a novice who is learning, you can't get discouraged by stuff like that. Nobody expects this guitar to be the best guitar ever built - not even me.

The most worried I got was about routing the neck pocket, since it is so crucial to the guitar as a whole, and I put it off for months. But then I remembered, the whole theme of this build is to put one foot in front of the other.

There is a pretty bad flaw with my design, in the neck joint area.

I executed the plan perfectly, but the plan was flawed, and I didn't figure it out until I put the neck on the body. The body extends too far up the neck. The guitar body extends well past the flat spot on the end of the neck for mounting --- so the neck "exits" the body with the deep C carve, not a taper from flat.

But that's OK --- I learned from it. It won't hurt the playability of the guitar. Just an oversight. Next guitar I build will have that issue worked out.

I should have kept this (awkward) design - it would have solved the problem.

Comment

I executed the plan perfectly, but the plan was flawed, and I didn't figure it out until I put the neck on the body. The body extends too far up the neck. The guitar body extends well past the flat spot on the end of the neck for mounting --- so the neck "exits" the body with the deep C carve, not a taper from flat.
                    Ah, that's what happened ... I saw you allude to some problem somewhere a while back but didn't understand what you meant.

If i'm understanding it correctly now, the flat on the back of the neck heel is set too far into the body, so the neck plate will be further in from the edge of the body than usual. In which case, couldn't you sculpt the heel area on the back of the body to tidy up the problem to some degree ?
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                      Ah, that's what happened ... I saw you allude to some problem somewhere a while back but didn't understand what you meant.

If i'm understanding it correctly now, the flat on the back of the neck heel is set too far into the body, so the neck plate will be further in from the edge of the body than usual. In which case, couldn't you sculpt the heel area on the back of the body to tidy up the problem to some degree ?
                      That's right.

I suppose so, but the only way to get the neck exposed properly will be to basically carve the guitar as shown above in that picture of the cardboard in the window.

Comment

looks cool, should be a real tone machine. main thing is you'll be holding something you hand crafted, how cool is that?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                          looks cool, should be a real tone machine. main thing is you'll be holding something you hand crafted, how cool is that?
                          Thanks - and yes, it is cool. It will be even cooler when I give it to my son. One day!

Comment

I would be shocked if your first build had zero flaws. Heck, if the thing is even playable when it's done you should be immensely proud of yourself.
                            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                              I would be shocked if your first build had zero flaws. Heck, if the thing is even playable when it's done you should be immensely proud of yourself.
                              Yeah, I am looking at it the same exact way - this guitar is less of a guitar and more of a training program. The guitar itself isn't particularly important --- the act of doing every step one time is the important part.

I am not necessarily building this guitar to have a guitar, i'm building it because I want to start building guitars.

Also, I think Adam is right - I think I may have routed the neck pocket too shallow. It could also be that I am too chicken to tighten up the screws super tight and risk stripping the wood out of a custom made neck I have several hundred dollars in.

Comment

The very first thing I did when I got my mahogany slab was mess up with the jigsaw and cut the slab too small. On the "butt" of the guitar, it's not flat at all, it's angled because my jigsaw blade walked.

But as a novice who is learning, you can't get discouraged by stuff like that. Nobody expects this guitar to be the best guitar ever built - not even me.

The most worried I got was about routing the neck pocket, since it is so crucial to the guitar as a whole, and I put it off for months. But then I remembered, the whole theme of this build is to put one foot in front of the other.

But that's OK --- I learned from it. It won't hurt the playability of the guitar. Just an oversight. Next guitar I build will have that issue worked out.

I should have kept this (awkward) design - it would have solved the problem.

Yeah that's the spirit.
                                Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Working...
                                X