• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I6's First Guitar Build

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I placed and installed the bridge last week, but it seems that the bridge is located too close to the treble side of the guitar, and needs to be scooched (technical term) over towards the bass side a bit.

Here are a few pictures that illustrate the misalignment:

The misalignment is (of course) much more apparent at fret 22 than it is in the lower frets.

I am going to remove the bridge, drill out the holes that I made for installing the bridge, glue poplar dowels into them, and take another whack at placing the bridge - this time using Ron Kirn's somewhat failsafe method.

Comment

Another problem that I found this week was action - my action is too low - in fact, there is no action at all, because the strings are lying on the frets, all the way down the neck (even with a comically high temporary nut).

What this tells me, is that it's likely that I routed my neck pocket too shallow.

I will route the neck pocket a little deeper and see if the action is looking more like I want it to. I will do this before the aforementioned second try at placing the bridge.

They say the mark of a great craftsman is how well he hides his mistakes.

As a bonus, here is a full shot of the guitar, with tuners, a bridge, and strings:

Last edited by ImmortalSix; 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

How deep did you make the neck pocket?

I've found that 3/4" is a good general starting point for Fender spec necks.
          " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Widely accepted for Telecaster style guitars is 5/8"

Most of my friends on the TDPRI recommend 11/16"

You are recommending 3/4"

So we are all in the right neighborhood. This neck is extra thick, though - Fatback profile (awesomely huge, 1" all the way from nut to 22nd fret) and has 6105 frets. So it's likely that this neck just happens to be a "big boy."

I routed this one to exactly 5/8", knowing that it's a hell of a lot easier to make it deeper than it is to make it shallower

I'll drop it 1/16" and try that, and if that's too short, I'll be bringing it down in tiny, tiny increments until it's just right.

Once my routing template is screwed to the guitar body, it is remarkable easy to make changes like this, should not take much more than an hour to get it exactly right.

Comment

Keep up the good work!
              " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Comment

Originally posted by bluesbend View Post
                Keep up the good work!
                Thanks a lot bluesbend - I will certainly keep you updated as she moves along.

Also, I got my Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil in today, so I can start finishing the neck.

Comment

This build is awesome!
                  Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                  H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                  Originally posted by jcthejester13
                  I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

If you have a flush trim router bit like one of these, you won't need your neck jig. Just set the depth you want on the router and the bearing will follow the existing pocket.

Last edited by bluesbend; 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I re-routed the neck pocket tonight, and slapped the bridge and neck back on just to check the action, and while I had a nut, bridge, and strings on it, I figured...

There is no way I could be objective about this, but it feels amazing, the body shape is perfect for me, the neck shape is perfect for me, and with a very, very quick setup (and no string trees, and a borrowed nut, and only 2 screws holding the bridge on) the guitar came alive.

It was like there was another person in the room.

So amazing. It was the most satisfying feeling of accomplishment I've had in a long time.

-Hunter

Comment

most excellent, hunter .... very happy for you .. much respect and admiration
                        the vid seems to indicate that it has a nice bold and warm unplugged sound
                        enjoy and keep pushin on
                        t4d
                        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

WoW...what a sense of accomplishment that must have given you!!!

Too cool man...TOO COOL!
                          Originally posted by jeremy
                          God hates bad guitar tone
                          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                            most excellent, hunter .... very happy for you .. much respect and admiration
                            the vid seems to indicate that it has a nice bold and warm unplugged sound
                            enjoy and keep pushin on
                            t4d
                            Thanks a lot Bill.

With the unplugged sound, I noticed that it has a very bold midrange push, and not as much low end as I was expecting with mahogany and the comically large baseball bat neck. I never understood people using fuzzy words for tone before, but with this guitar (hey! I can call it that, finally!) the best descriptor I can find for the highs is "sweet." They're clear, but not pushy or too bright. I got lucky for sure.

I will indeed keep pushing on. My next step is to route the neck pocket a tiny bit deeper, as I had to jack the saddles up all the way to give it an appropriate action. It's fun to be able to make such adjustments with confidence - things that previously seemed nigh impossible.

After that, she'll get test-fit for action one more time, then disassembled for painting the body and Tru Oiling the neck. I will be painting the headstock the same white as the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                              WoW...what a sense of accomplishment that must have given you!!!

Too cool man...TOO COOL!
                              My wife could tell you - I was grinning like an idiot!

Thanks Hoss!

Comment

I caught that clip on youtube before I saw it here, I was impressed that you pulled it off, granted, the electronics are missing but the guitar is pretty much built.

Comment

Working...
                                X