Heritage Guitars - What's Your Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage Guitars - What's Your Opinion

Okay so here's the deal. A friend just bought a Heritage H150... and, HOLY CRAP this guitar is a monster. I have heard people talk about Heritage before but this is the first one I have ever seen or held in person. I was blown away by how well the guitar played, looked and sounded. It set a new standard for me on how I will judge Les Paul's going forward.

So here's the question now. Was this simply a fine specimen of instruments or is this normal for Heritage guitars to be of this quality? What's your experience/opinion here... Is it worth taking my savings for a "real" LP and just going with a Heritage instead?
    "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Re: Heritage Guitars - What's Your Opinion

Here you are good sir.

Just the other day: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=238391

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
      Here you are good sir.

Just the other day: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=238391
      Thanks for the link, good to know. Guess I can assume this was just a great instrument and not the company then based off of that thread...

Comment

I would take a haritage any day over a gibson les paul. and this coming from a guy that has owned 3 gibson les pauls and currently has a les paul custom. Haritages are awesome guitars
        2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
        Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
        Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I dunno, man. I've heard great things about em. I'd love to get my hands on one one day.

Comment

My opinion is that they are just plain too ugly for me. They are butterfaces with those headstocks. Yes, it's a cosmetic judgment, but I'll be damned if the way a guitar looks is not extremely important to me.

FWIW, I feel the same way about most Hamers as well. I am OK with the Standard headstock, but that's about it.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-24-2012, 04:39 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Im the same way. There are some guitars that I see that just look hideous and I think "why would anyone like that?!" It may get the best tone in the world......but that doesnt change the fact that it's ugly
              2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
              Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
              Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

I have actually played three in my life. They were all fantastic guitars. No difference between them and a good Les Paul period, IMO. Evan owns one. Ask him.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  I have actually played three in my life. They were all fantastic guitars. No difference between them and a good Les Paul period, IMO. Evan owns one. Ask him.
                  I've probably played about 40 of them. None of them felt like a Les Paul to me. I didn't care for any of the ones I played. Every one of them felt real stiff to me.

Comment

liked the ones i have played - an LP copy, a 335 copy, and a big ol jazz box copy
                    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Seems like alot of people say the older ones with the schaller roller bridges seemed "stiff". But the H150 I played had a tonepros bridge and felt fantastic, but based on the advice I am getting I will keep saving for the Gibson I am eyeing (gonna be a while).

Comment

I'm sorry but they are just a poor investment.

They are not el cheapo guitars. There's no question what they're trying to emulate either.

If you buy one for the price of a LP standard, you'd better prepare to keep it, because if you try to pawn it off on eBay or GC or any other major retailer, you'll get something along the lines of,

"Yeah it's a really good guitar, but we just can't pay anywhere near what you did for it."

If you're going to buy something that's a knockoff of the real thing, you might as well go for the most bang for your buck, i.e. an import PRS SC245, LTD EC, or Ibanez ART. At least you'll get your moneys worth in playability.

Everyone knows Gibson. Nobody but GAS heads know Heritage.
                        AccountKiller

Comment

butt ugly headstock.
                          Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                            butt ugly headstock.
                            Thats an insult to ugly butts comparing that atrocity of a headstock to them.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

OK, first some history.

To put it into perspective, when in 1984 Gibson abandoned Kalamazoo in favor of Nashville, the workers that had been building Gibson guitars all these years (some of them for up to 25 years at the time) and weren't willing to move away from their homes just decided to keep doing what they were doing all along. Bought the oldest of the 5 Gibson factories and basically continued from where Gibson left.

So basically a 1985 Heritage was built by the very same people, using the very same tooling in the very same factory as a 1983 Gibson.
                              Difference is, as Heritage they couldn't use certain Gibson-specific OEM hardware and so they used some alternate suppliers like Schaller.
                              Another difference is that they've stayed pretty much the same company since then building pretty much the same product as then.

My favorite guitar store carries them and I have tried several from various years. I am basically a Strat guy but I was very, VERY impressed with pretty much all of the ones that I tried and even GASed for a couple of them.

Now, to the pros and cons of it.
                              • The BEST Les Paul that Gibson ISN'T building/will never again build.
                              • All-around insanely great quality but still very much human feeling, they don't have that PRS-clean feeling. Personally I like that, others don't.
                              • They DON'T feel like Gibsons, even though they are built as close to the originals as possible there ARE differences, both due to legal reasons as well as their builder's personal preferences. I would not go as far as calling them alien though like some have suggested.
                              • VERY consistent guitars, if you like one of them you'll like pretty much ALL of them. Not that they're all identical like Carvins but the difference between them is the expected one between one piece of wood to the next.
                              • BUTT-UGLY headstock. No matter how much I want to like it, I just can't. It wouldn't stop me from liking the guitar though, especially with those KILLER tops most of 'em have.
                              • Like most boutique builders, pretty bad resale value, if you're buying you're either buying to keep or are already buying used so as to get a great guitar at an even greater price (let the other guy take the hit on resale value).
                              • Did I mention guitars whose quality puts most if not almost all (save for the CS ones) Gibsons to shame?

In the end the choice falls to the individual depending on their personal tastes and their priorities.
                              A Heritage guitar isn't for someone who's worried about the resale value unless HE's buying used. It's also NOT for someone that wants a Gibson on the cheap.
                              It IS however for someone that wants a Gibson-type guitar of amazing quality without having to scour the globe to find it just so that it has the "correct" headstock.
                              Lemons are very rare on Heritages.
                              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X