No announcement yet.

Guitar Skins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a silcone boot that went over the back of a strat to prevent buckle rash

That looked cool
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Now we can start using the tactic "oh don't worry honey, it's just a new skin not a new guitar".

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ADECF1F7-899F-4C92-94D1-1C158796CF9B.jpeg
Views:	682
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	6052530
        You're making me hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
          does it allow that sweet thin skin nitro to breathe in order to get the most harmonic resonance available from your precious baby...lol.
          Screw that noise. Slap an EMG or a Super D in there, put the amp on the hot channel, and rock your balls off. Harmonic resonance....pffft.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The skins do give you the ability to have a graphic that would be otherwise difficult or impossible to paint, so there's that. Plus, they are removable, so no harm, no foul if you decide to nix it in the future.

I'd be looking at a rather simple black/white graphic for an inexpensive guitar. Maybe something with an optical illusion to it, just for visual interest. Wouldn't want to have to paint that, really.

Unfortunately, most of what these sites advertise remind me of the cheesy B.C. Rich "Body Art" guitars or pretty much any Dave Mustaine signature Dean, ha ha!

Comment

I'm seriously tempted to hit the BIN on the sub-urban-camo.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I'm seriously tempted to hit the BIN on the sub-urban-camo.
                Check this out. 2'x5' sheet for $23 shipped: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Check this out. 2'x5' sheet for $23 shipped: LINK

Wouldn't sub urban camo be like a shopping cart or soccer ball pattern - not foliage?
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

wouldn't that be the same as contact shelf paper at walmart?
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If anyone does this, I want a bunch of pics. The ones online I am sure were done by the best, then Photoshopped. I want to see what the normal guitarist can do with this.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think I'm going to order some regular car wrap vinyl and try it

Comment

I would think that's all it is...I don't think there is special 'guitar wrap vinyl'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I would think that's all it is...I don't think there is special 'guitar wrap vinyl'.
                            I'm guessing that the advantage that the "skin" houses have is color variety. I had the same idea, but couldn't find any of the other colors I was looking for at Jo-Anne's etc. And, I think this whole idea lends itself to "cheap", yet still decent, guitars. One of my flea-market Johnson Strat's is Hot-Pink, with a small crack in the body. I either paid $25 or $35 for it years ago. But the neck and playability are fine. No different than my MIM Fender.

I thought it would be fun to go the "psychedelic" route, with this skin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phychedelic_Guitar_Skin.png
Views:	304
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	6053612

Comment

You can get a richness of color that is hard with paint, much less the detail. You can get a photograph without the paint looking like a 70's airbrushed panel van. I can see an extension of this, like the 'foto-flame' Fender used to do. Have very detailed designs wrapped and then sprayed clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                                I can see an extension of this, like the 'foto-flame' Fender used to do. Have very detailed designs wrapped and then sprayed clear.
                                This is a few years old, but the results still came out pretty dang nice (check it out at the end)! I think the printing and materials have only gotten better.

Careful if you see this imposter for sale, though...

Comment

Working...
                                X