Jazzmaster, Strat, or Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I really thought the JM bridge was dumb, until I owned a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Jaguar a few years ago. If you use a Mustang bridge rather than the all thread weirdness, it’s really cool, works well, and is similar to a Bigsby. All that extra string length behind the bridge really makes it feel different, too.
    Or even better just put graphtech saddles on, so you get the height adjustment of the Jazzmaster saddles with the slots of a Mustang
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      Having a guitar doesn't mean you have to gig with it. Ideal practice and performance require different tools is what I'm saying.
      i understand, and for many people that may be true. i dont really practice much, everything i own needs to be gig worthy or i shouldnt own it.

i do get that the bridge changes things, maybe even in a cool way for some people, but i dont use the trem and would much rather have solid tuning and better sustain

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

i understand, and for many people that may be true. i dont really practice much, everything i own needs to be gig worthy or i shouldnt own it.

i do get that the bridge changes things, maybe even in a cool way for some people, but i dont use the trem and would much rather have solid tuning and better sustain
        I feel the same. If I can't take it on a gig because it doesn't stay in tune, I will get something that does. I never used guitars to force my perspective to change...I do that with learning and writing new music or techniques.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Jazzmaster builds are love/hate. Play a few before committing to that body style, if you can. I test drove a Fender JM for about 3 weeks and quickly decided it wasn't for me. The body was simply massive and the entire instrument was only a few inches shorter than my Precision Bass. That may be great for you, though.

So I'd pick hardtail Strat or Tele. Simpler, less to mess up. Highly suggest test driving a Jazzmaster if you want to go that route. It's a different animal than Fender's other offsets.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

What's a solid example of a famous song where you can hear the tone of a Jazzmaster guitar clearly? A song that is on Youtube so i can take a listen to it. I ask cuz I am not sure what the "classic Jazzmaster tone" sounds like.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              What's a solid example of a famous song where you can hear the tone of a Jazzmaster guitar clearly? A song that is on Youtube so i can take a listen to it. I ask cuz I am not sure what the "classic Jazzmaster tone" sounds like.
              Clean they tend to sound pretty pokey - think Television's Marquee Moon or Costello's Watching the Detectives. They tend to take gain and effects pretty well though. Thom Yorke used one for the recording of Airbag on OK computer. Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, do heavier stuff with them.

Pretty clear JM tones on the solo at about 2:50 -

Last edited by GuitarStv; 08-11-2021, 12:42 PM.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Funny, most of the "classic Jazzmaster tones" that come to mind were probably played on a Strat
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                  Jazzmaster builds are love/hate. Play a few before committing to that body style, if you can. I test drove a Fender JM for about 3 weeks and quickly decided it wasn't for me. The body was simply massive and the entire instrument was only a few inches shorter than my Precision Bass. That may be great for you, though.

So I'd pick hardtail Strat or Tele. Simpler, less to mess up. Highly suggest test driving a Jazzmaster if you want to go that route. It's a different animal than Fender's other offsets.
                  Same experience here, owned a player series JM with the dual humbuckers, it was a nice guitar nothing wrong with it at all. Stock pickups sounded great too actually, especially when split. Just decided I didn't like the big body and the feel and the weight of it. It's a different kind of beast for sure. I think it looks really cool though but I'll stay with more ergonomic guitars like strats and sg's.

Comment

im 6'2" and 240lbs so a little bigger of a guitar isnt much of an issue for me but i can see how it might not be as comfortable for others

Comment

I wouldn't overthink it too much. It's squarely in the Fender realm of tones - they shimmer, they grunt, they drive, they warm up, they twang, they are pretty clear, they take FX well, they get nasty. Some have P90-esque pups under that pickup cover (bar magnet, adjustable polepieces), some have Jazzmaster pickups (alnico rods, non-adjustable).

The tremolo when set up right is really fun. Very shimmery. The tremolo lock button is handy, too.

My favorite part of the JM test drive was setting it up with .11s (as intended) and playing fingerstyle. The classic bridge puts the strings far off the body, and it was pretty novel and encouraged me to play differently. I would've kept it just to have something way different if I weren't so fixated on both acquiring the perfect Telecaster and keeping my guitar collection down. I'm 150 lbs and the thing was totally massive, not more massive than a large bodied acoustic guitar but then I don't like playing those much. It was cool, for sure, and one may work its way back into my life at some point. I guess in that way, it could make a great candidate for a parts build. There's just more to do setup-wise with JMs... neck shims are commonplace, the original bridges are plagued with problems (just visit offsetguitars.com for a plethora of bridge-related threads). If I were doing a JM build I'd strongly consider doing a fixed bridge. Many of the modern Fender JMs coming out have fixed bridges.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        im 6'2" and 240lbs so a little bigger of a guitar isnt much of an issue for me but i can see how it might not be as comfortable for others
                        +1

I'm also over 6' and grew up playing a 335 . . . so pretty much everything seems small in comparison. Jazzmaster body size is perfect.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Clean they tend to sound pretty pokey - think Television's Marquee Moon or Costello's Watching the Detectives. They tend to take gain and effects pretty well though. Thom Yorke used one for the recording of Airbag on OK computer. Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine, do heavier stuff with them.

Pretty clear JM tones on the solo at about 2:50 -

Big thanks Steve. That Wilco song was something else. Getting to hear how a Jazzmaster, Tele and Strat each sounded against the other. The impressions i got for the Jazmmaster was that it didn't have the glassyness of a Strat and was more PAF ish /P90 ish. It was a really useful tone.
                          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-12-2021, 07:54 AM.
                          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Big thanks Steve. That Wilco song was something else. Getting to hear how a Jazzmaster, Tele and Strat each sounded against the other. The impressions i got for the Jazmmaster was that it didn't have the glassyness of a Strat and was more PAF ish /P90 ish. It was a really useful tone.
                            No worries!

Yeah, the interesting (frustrating?) thing about JM traditional wiring and pickups is that it's capable of some radical tone shaping. They are kinda chameleons in that they go from super crazy bright and plinky to dull/woofy with a pillow over the speaker sounds and everything in between. It can be a little off-putting if you're used to traditional guitar wiring and not much playing with the knobs. If you always find yourself playing with the controls on your guitar you may find the JM traditional wiring to be perfect though.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

No worries!

Yeah, the interesting (frustrating?) thing about JM traditional wiring and pickups is that it's capable of some radical tone shaping. They are kinda chameleons in that they go from super crazy bright and plinky to dull/woofy with a pillow over the speaker sounds and everything in between. It can be a little off-putting if you're used to traditional guitar wiring and not much playing with the knobs. If you always find yourself playing with the controls on your guitar you may find the JM traditional wiring to be perfect though.
                              To your point: did anyone notice if the switches on that guy's JM in the Wilco video were set in a way where we weren't hearing the pickups in their normal mode ?
                              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-12-2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

nels also uses a fair amount of pedals to color his tone. i did enjoy the fact he had to fix his tuning mid song

Comment

Working...
                                X