Gibson releases a new model. Theodore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I know a lot of you hate this guitar, but style and preference are not objective at all, it's mostly cultural, social, nostalgia than any sense of yourself sensing an absolute.

Fashion is about dictating a sense through repetition and motif.... just like a musical earworm. -although Nu Metal sucking is the only thing universal.

If Hendrix played this guitar at Woodstock, you dudes would be competing for these your whole life.

So lets not get too cocky about what you think is right and great versus what sux in guitar fashion.

Although keep the memes coming -pretty funny
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I beg to differ. If we had grown up watching our guitar heroes pulling amazing tones out of the Theodore we would be emotionally drawn to the guitar.
        Sure. And if Jesus was crucified on one, there would be a huge sale of little gold Theodores that people would wear around their necks all the time.

But that's not the world we live in. And in lieu of decades of guitar heroes emotionally drawing us to them, we've got to use our eyes. Which is going to be trouble for this model at that price point.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I beg to differ. If we had grown up watching our guitar heroes pulling amazing tones out of the Theodore we would be emotionally drawn to the guitar.
          Whoops -you already covered this before my comment I see.

Totally agree, fashion is about normative conformity -if we see someone engaging or of interest or hear something we like or are told is cool or girls we like like it or men we revere, the associated aesthetics in whatever the art is also get programmed emotionally as well and is made normal through repetition -it becomes our preference when it may have once was seemed strange or ugly or absurd.

If Jimmy Page had played Led Zepplin II on a Norton Master Beat Guitar.... people would like that look as the classic rock guitar.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            although Nu Metal sucking is the only thing universal.
            Words of wisdom right here.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Only thing that could make it worse is bound fretboard with nibs.

Comment

I agree that if that design was used by a famous player, the guitar world would be praising it. The fact that it has a pretty thin origin story doesn't help, not to mention the differences between the drawing and the actual guitar.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If Jimmy Page had played Led Zepplin II on a Norton Master Beat Guitar.... people would like that look as the classic rock guitar.
                  Uh huh huh huh huh ... he said, "master beat". huh huh, yeah

Comment

Whoops -you already covered this before my comment I see.

Totally agree, fashion is about normative conformity -if we see someone engaging or of interest or hear something we like or are told is cool or girls we like like it or men we revere, the associated aesthetics in whatever the art is also get programmed emotionally as well and is made normal through repetition -it becomes our preference when it may have once was seemed strange or ugly or absurd.

Nah. Don't buy it.

The telecaster has been played by everyone and their brother since being released. They're still ugly as ****. This tulip guitar is also ugly as ****.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The telecaster has been played by everyone and their brother since being released. They're still ugly as ****.
                      Preach. I have often told my clients that if a guitar played well because of looks a Telecaster wouldn't even stay in tune.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Oh man, the pretzel twisting justification of trying to say how we'd retroactively love it if some ancient guitar hero had played one. Perfection. Once again, the Gibson apologists don't fail to deliver.

Meanwhile over at Fender, this is what happens when they design a new model (and it's awesome):

-
                        My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                          Oh man, the pretzel twisting justification of trying to say how we'd retroactively love it if some ancient guitar hero had played one. Perfection. Once again, the Gibson apologists don't fail to deliver.

Meanwhile over at Fender, this is what happens when they design a new model (and it's awesome):

Yep, that's a cool looking new guitar.

Comment

And then THIS happened...

Gibson Archive Collection | First Look at the Theodore Guitar w/Joe Bonamassa - YouTube
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Comment

Gibson: "We'll give you three guitars and a bunch of money if you show up and say nice things about them for 60 seconds."
                                Bonamassa: "Did you say money? I'm in."
                                -
                                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X